Loss of protective characteristics in plants

And my point is, if the language is inappropriate then it’s inappropriate and should not be used in what is supposed to be a science-educating programme.

I think we all agree here that it was an unfortunate choice of words - that isn’t an issue at least among us here. I can see your point too that it may be inappropriately condescending to an audience that can be expected to have at least a lay-level of knowledge of evolution (which presumably should be most of us here! -physicist background or not.) Just keep in mind that one person’s perception of condescension may be another’s need. If somebody instructed me (a grown man) that babies come from a mommy’s tummy, I would certainly wonder why he was talking to me like that - but if he was saying that to a small child, it could be entirely within the realm of appropriate. And some of us, even in our mature adult lives … still need to search out the ____ for idiots books for some given subject. One person’s condescending language may be another person’s need. People don’t always get it right until we figure out where our conversation partners are with the subject.

3 Likes

So basically Im now a baby! It gets worse…

Nope. You’re human just like any of the rest of us here. Which means you can’t be an expert in everything.

2 Likes

This issue of word usage has been a problem in the past. Scientists tend to use precise terms wit
H specific meanings, whereas the non- scientists tend to have more fluid definitions and use words less precisely. It takes some effort to ignore the wording and concentrate on the concepts and ideas as we seek understanding despite our differences.

1 Like

Youre ok Mervin. That was my sense of humour.

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.