List Your Favorite Books

No problem or pressure! You have lots to teach me. What are your quote and poem?

My aunt Nancy, an English teacher (now retired, who works in Barnes and Noble part time) and I like to share quotes, poems and books. She raised her daughter with Shakespeare and “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”! That’s right up my alley. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Randy you are one of the kindest and most generous people I’ve ever met. Believe me, I’m too selfish to stick around if I didn’t think it was a two way street.

No pressure. I tend to over-share so I have to hold myself back sometimes. Thank you for giving me the green light! :grinning:

Kurt Vonnegut’s poem from Cat’s Cradle kind of fits for me with my reluctance to sign on to any particular religious doctrine even though I can usually find points of agreement with most of them.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder ‘why, why, why?’
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, [Cat’s Cradle]

I suppose the favorite quote also goes to my reluctance to align with a particular tradition.

“Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I’ll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s.”

Here is the wider passage that quote comes from if that appeals at all:

“What do you think?" shouted Razumihin, louder than ever, “you think I am attacking them for talking nonsense? Not a bit! I like them to talk nonsense. That’s man’s one privilege over all creation. Through error you come to the truth! I am a man because I err! You never reach any truth without making fourteen mistakes and very likely a hundred and fourteen. And a fine thing, too, in its way; but we can’t even make mistakes on our own account! Talk nonsense, but talk your own nonsense, and I’ll kiss you for it. To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s. In the first case you are a man, in the second you’re no better than a bird. Truth won’t escape you, but life can be cramped. There have been examples. And what are we doing now? In science, development, thought, invention, ideals, aims, liberalism, judgment, experience and everything, everything, everything, we are still in the preparatory class at school. We prefer to live on other people’s ideas, it’s what we are used to! Am I right, am I right?” cried Razumihin, pressing and shaking the two ladies’ hands.”

― Fyodor Dostoevsky, [Crime and Punishment

4 Likes

Excellent! It’s a great bit of grace we need to extend to each other in our discussion of what’s right and wrong–that we each have to make our own way figuring things out.

And I would extend that (not for sake of preaching, but for meditation) that if one does believe in God (a god), then that Judge would have to take that into account. “Ignorance of the law is no excuse” is not something that applies to the Divine interaction.

1 Like

Am reading through Macdonald’s “Laird’s Inheritance” and ran across this gem (ch. 21) as the young protagonist, Cosmo, is outside in a beautiful remote area by himself in the cold starry night…

…and there he knelt and lifted up his face to the stars. Oh, mighty, true church of all churches – where the Son of Man prayed! In the temple made by man’s hands he taught, but here, under the starry roof, was his house of prayer, church where not a mark is to be seen of human hand! This was the church of God’s building, the only fitting type of a yet greater, a yet holier church, whose stars are the burning eyes of self-forgetting love, whose worship is a ceaseless ministration of self-forgetting deeds – the one real ideal church, the body of the living Christ, built of the hearts and souls of men and women out of every nation and every creed, through all time and over all the world, redeemed alike from Judaism, paganism, and all the false Christianities that darken and dishonor the true.

1 Like

So many on my list have already been mentioned:

Fiction:
Dune
Lord of the Rings
Ender’s Game
Wüthering Heights
Spiral Arm series (if you like science fiction, philosophy, anthropology, semiotics, etc., this unsung series by Michael Flynn could be worth your while)
The Life of Pi

Non-Fiction:
Good to Great
A Tale of Three Kings

What a coincidence: I literally just read this 15 minutes ago to my kids. It’s in this lovely anthology:

2 Likes

Any fans of short stories here? I like the Collection ‘the last wish’ by Andrzej Sapkowski.

1 Like