Life, the universe, and everything (with apologies to Mr. Adams)

@Mervin_Bitikofer

Merv,

I am not saying that there are no Muslim or Buddhist scientists per se, but I am saying that those practicing Muslims and Buddhists who are doing scientific work are doing it on the basis of Western non-Muslim or non-Buddhist models of Reality.

At one time there was active Muslim science and philosophy, but since the time of Al-Ghazzali who put the emphasis on Faith at the expense of Reason, that time has passed…

As a scientist, I think it is important to resist this type of thinking. Science has an amazing ecuemenical tradition. We welcome all types of people, of all religious beliefs, including atheists, christians, muslims, hindus, and buddhists. Certainly, modern science started in Europe, but it has grown well beyond Europe at this point.

2 Likes

@Swamidass

In a way I agree with you, because theology is separate from science. On the other hand the philosophy behind modern science has real religious connotations. In Islamic schools the primary source of knowledge is the Quran.

We ignore differences at our peril.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.