Jesus: A coping way

Could that possibly be an indicator that your God is too small.

1 Like

If you can see the truth you will be born again, but it is easier to be born again whilst not yet dead, as to be born again when you are dead needs some serious intervention

This is nonsense. Of course they do, they always have. Why wouldnā€™t they? Apart from non-religious Jews.

Interesting thoughts. I am a new believer. I actually didnā€™t realise what I was missing out on until I found it in Jesus. So, I didnā€™t make it up to meet a need I was aware of.

However, in hindsight I am now aware of the unacknowledged existential despair and loneliness I lived in due to the nihilism of agnosticism/atheism. The feeling of relief at the end of that, is one of many overwhelming feelings that came with repentance and salvation.

The fact that we all die and there may not be an afterlife never bothered me. (Actually as one who appreciates and loves the natural world, I affirm the role of death and bodily recycling.) So if I was to have chosen religion to meet some need, it would have been the need for meaning, not fear of death.

But thatā€™s just me. Certainly a lot of evangelism does seem to be designed to leverage fear of death and fear of hell. I have mixed feelings about that. I worry itā€™s an appeal to self-interest when the actual goal is supposed to be to glorify God. But I still have much to learn.

3 Likes

What type of Jews donā€™t believe in an afterlife? I must admit I donā€™t know many on a personal level but most of the sources I find online say otherwise. I am sure things changed quite a bit post-Holocaust but unlike what appears from most Christians, Jews are very much focused on the here and now. When Paul says ā€œto die is gainā€ this would probably be scoffed at by many Jews. It is that type of thinking they try to ignore and why there is little focus on an afterlife. But such a belief seems to have existed for a very long time.

Vinnie

1 Like

I do am a fan of nature.However the thought of dying and beign annihilated (meaning that my soul will get ā€œdestroyedā€ and then nothing happens )is terrifying .It would criple me to leave a life knowing that tommorrow i could die and not complete the things i want.I would be pretty mad about it .But if there is an afterlife even though i didnt complete the things i wanted i will still be happy

3 Likes

Except that observant Jews today tend to not believe in an afterlife. Even in OT times it was shadowyā€¦

Most observant Jews today do not believe in an afterlife.

Have they told you that?

Didnā€™t you read @Randyā€™s link?

How can anyone believe in the transcendent and that they arenā€™t in it?

I think everyone wonders about the possibility that there is an afterlife. ā€œO death, where is your sting?ā€ From Paul in Corinthians I believe, as a wonderful benefit of knowing Christ, he says. I think it is difficult to say we know how Jews feel about the afterlife. Who can say for sure what people believe deep down about it? When death approaches quickly, we may change our minds.

Yes, didnā€™t you bother to read my earlier comments? I had a live class with a rabbi. Not that rabbis would know anything about Judaism. Go noodle around on the internet!

The Sadducees did not believe in resurrection of the deadā€¦

1 Like

That is true. But note that Iā€™ve been talking about Judaism today.

I was responding to this ā€“ I should have noted:

I agree that Sadducees and many Jews donā€™t believe in the afterlife; but I understand that at least some of the Hasidim do. If you read ā€œThe Chosen,ā€ thereā€™s quite a difference from mainline Jews.

Most Jews today do not. I donā€™t think the Sadducees are around any more.

2 Likes

So can someone answer me thjs?

1 Like

Missed that on the Rabbi. What denomination? Thereā€™s no way ancient Jews didnā€™t believe in a spirit world. They certainly did. Samuelā€™s shade? Even if Solomon wasnā€™t sure. ā€˜Danielā€™ and two of the major prophets were: Dan. 12:2; see also Isa. 26:19; Ezek. 37:1 ff.

I find Aish.com helpful sometimesā€¦for what little I know. I am sure Beaglelady knows way more.

https://www.aish.com/search/?keywords=Afterlife&q=Afterlife&submit=Search&mobile=yes#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Afterlife&gsc.page=1

You missed more. Iā€™m not talking about ancient Jews.