Is there a place for religious satire?

How about a satire of “pray without ceasing”? You’ll have to watch an ad first, but here are Sally Field and Phil Hartman on SNL, “Don’t Pray So Much.” (@pevaquark edit: the link was displaying an error so you can just click the hyperlink instead)

Darn it, the link doesn’t work for me. Sally Fields on SNL is promising though.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Now that I’ve finally finished watching the series, I appreciate the satire a bit more, especially as it applies to certain Christian attitudes or ideals. One that stood out to me was when Aziraphale expressed discomfort at the idea of Armageddon, and Gabriel would keep coming back with some version of “Don’t worry about it – we’re going to win!” I know that’s been my attitude before, and probably especially when it comes to climate change or environmental issues – the idea that yeah, we should be good stewards of the earth & stuff, but it’s going to be destroyed anyway and true Christians like us are on the winning team, so no sense loving the world too much.

Of course, other aspects of the satire were oversimplifications or poorly done, but other parts were on the money. Mostly I just liked whichever scenes involved both Aziraphale and Crowley together. :smiley:

2 Likes

Is it inappropriate for me to say Thus Spoke Zarathustra is pretty good religious satire?

I’ve never read it – looks pretty deep. :smiley:

1 Like