Is the bible just a way to cope with death?

It’s just a claim. But it in no way diminishes the reality of God and the fact that Christianity is an immensely satisfying and overarching worldview and Person to die for, especially for the Christian who has had some kind personal experience or even external objective evidence that God is in their life and that they will never deny.

May I cry?  

2 Likes

Is the bible just a way to cope with death?

No. This is demonstrably not the case. There are plenty of people like myself who have no issues with death or nonexistence and they find the Bible useful for a number of other things. This is certainly not one of the reasons I believe in any of this stuff.

Is the belief in life after death an important part of Christianity? Yes.
Do people use the Bible to cope with death? Definitely.

For me a fear of nonexistence is completely irrational. If that is true then why do so many people fear this? We are creatures that plan for the future and that can make the idea of no future disorienting to say the least. Doesn’t that mean Christianity is providing me a future to plan for? Yes. But we often make conditional plans for a future that may never happen. I do that a lot, in fact. I think there are many people who do. They think up possible futures and plan for them… even for fictional scenarios based on imagination or things we have read. For example… what would I do if I found myself in the traditional scenery of hell and am told that I have been judged? I ask myself questions like that and think about them. Thus it is easy to occupy that planning aspect of our nature even if you accept that nonexistence is the likely result of death.

yes! Indeed. I have a hard time accepting the idea of the ultimate victory of evil. The idea of personal nonexistence seems quite attractive to me, but for that. Our actions/choices having no consequences to ourselves is what disturbs me about this idea of escaping to nonexistence.

Indeed. And mine are not the usual ones. Perhaps one more that is not in this list, which I mention occasionally is that of identity – deciding who we are and what kind of person we choose to be.

3 Likes

The occasions of my parents’ homegoings both had significant and memorable instances of God’s providential timing and placing, including at least one worthy of a “Wow!”, my dad’s especially:

I live in Nebraska and my best friend lived in Chicago at the time, and my folks lived in Gaithersburg, MD, just north of D.C. So when I was back east for my dad’s memorial service (there wasn’t a funeral because both of my folks were whole-body donors to Georgetown U med school), and I don’t remember how I found out (it was almost three decades ago), but my best friend and his adult son, also a good friend, where in the D.C. metro area that very same week! So my best friend from Chicago and his son from Lincoln were at my dad’s evening service with us in Gaithersburg, and we had breakfast together the next morning with my mom in her apartment. Very cool. Certainly somewhat sad, but still cool, and as Christians, rejoicing.

I would say that just because something fulfills a human “need” doesn’t mean it’s not true. We get hungry and cope with it by eating food. That doesn’t mean that food is not real, or that we are foolishly using food as a “crutch” to deal with hunger. I think the question of whether or not God exists must be answered on a different basis than just whether it may be serving a function in someone’s life…

On a related note, theologians ask: if we are (only) the byproducts of a meaningless evolutionary process that has been based on death all along, why should humans have evolved a “fear of death” at all? If indeed they have such a fear. In other words, why should humans have a fear of the water they have been swimming in since time immemorial?

4 Likes

Exactly. Unbelievers use the evil in the world and the painful and awful deaths (not to mention lives) so many experience as a ‘reason’ to disbelieve in God. But everybody dies, so what’s the big deal?

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve heard that the “problem of evil” cuts both ways. The atheist has to wrestle with the question of why humans should care about labeling something as objectively “evil” at all, or why we fear death, if these things are just natural features of the environment and the mindless processes that created us, and organisms are just doing what organisms have always done.

1 Like

I would actually go the other way stating the bible is there to cope with life as it teaches us to be thankful for it.

1 Like

It’s evolutionary way of keeping us alive for as long as possible, or at least until we reproduce.
If we fear death, we are less likely to do something stupid that could get us killed. Also why we fear height, fire, dead bodies etc.

1 Like

do not buy into the propaganda of evolution being a meaningless process as its function clearly is to aid survival and the propagation of life. The only meaningless bit in evolution is the mind of those calling it meaningless.

Yes, but I don’t think that’s the meaning of “death” that skeptics are pointing to in their argument. They are referring to the existential concept of “ceasing to exist”. For example, sure, animals may have evolved a proximate fear of heights, and a fear of jumping into bonfires etc. for good reason. But why should humans have evolved an “ultimate”, existential (psychological) fear of the concept of ceasing to exist even post-reproduction, when that has been the fate of all organisms throughout time?

1 Like

Yes, ceasing to exist as a result of physical death
The prehistoric man, after becoming aware of its own existence would notice very quickly that the dead… don’t exist anymore, it’s not like you can talk to them, is it? So the theory is that this is when people started to come up with ghosts, gods and so on to imagine existence beyond physical death.

Good point. We are told to rejoice even while and in suffering. Christians often cite 1 Thessalonians 5:18, about giving thanks in all circumstances, but that isn’t too hard (nor is it helpful to be told that) – you can pretty much always be thankful to some degree that things aren’t worse than they are. Then there’s Ephesians 5:20 – that’s a bit tougher:

…always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(Some may remember the verse in the devotional that surprised me that Monday morning in 2017.)

Why should it? I’m not saying it doesn’t, but what meaning does life have? Evolution is still pretty meaningless. (There can be a difference between function and meaning.)

life as a function is the ability to move energy and matter at will. The purpose of that function is to propagate life. If you look at survival fitness to be the ability to support creation instead of yourself as selfish strands are diluted out in such a process you will see its integrative power.

function: the action for which a person or thing is specially fitted or used or for which a thing exists : purpose.

What’s the function of the dipping bird? To repetitively dip.

It’s purpose is to entertain humans or maybe demonstrate some science. (A collateral function might be to drive a cat crazy. :sunglasses:) Does it have meaning? Not without humans.

As a Christian who accepts the science, the function of evolution, I certainly do, but just like the dipping bird having no purpose and meaning apart from humans, life and evolution have no real meaning without God – his enduring joy and our being in his enduring family because of Jesus.

Kevin, I don’t remember you asking any dumb questions. I don’t think this one is dumb, but maybe somebody in the comment section of the video was. My husband regularly declares he feels he loses intelligence whenever he looks at comments after videos or Twitter posts, etc.

I’m going to guess that the original claim was not so much that the BIble is a way to cope with death, but that religious beliefs that people have worked out from the Bible are a way to cope with death (and they might just add all religions to that as well). Of course they are. There is plenty of coping with a 100% certainty of death going on among the living—at least living humans.
I don’t think that’s the only purpose or reason for Christian belief, but I’m grateful to have that as well.

3 Likes

They’re just insisting on a modernist rational concept of truth as correspondence. That is what I learned from Fred Dretski in an epistemology class thirty years ago. That’s all well and good if we’re talking about properly empirical matters. But life is participatory and the manner of engagement can indeed make a difference where fulfillment and meaning are concerned. Detached objectivity isn’t an option. Whatever you believe feeds back on the resulting quality. What is true in the subjective realm isn’t about passive objectivity but rather about what contributes to a life well lived.

4 Likes

Kendel, I recommend you suggest to your husband that he stops reading comment sections. After I’ve done this, my mental health improved infinitely.
And @Trippy_Elixir the same advice is for you too. Comments people make on social media are hardly ever high quality discourse. Especially not under the kind of videos you described. Of course you’re going to have people who are angry with Christianity saying that kind of things, religion is childish or it was made up as an instrument of subjugation are other common examples I can think of.

5 Likes