Is Nature "Cruel"?

Thanks to all who responded!

Although not as important as human life, animal lives are also important and I don’t think we should trivialize their suffering. Thank God that animal pain is now taken seriously in veterinarian medicine. I also welcome stricter laws against animal abuse.

I don’t think that animal death has anything to do with the so-called fall.

4 Likes

In both Biblical slaughters… plenty of human innocents are slaughtered…

1 Like

That’s definitely true.

YES, mango worms are horrible, and YES humans (at God’s prompting) are now taking animal pain seriously. As you are especially aware, some other mammals seem capable of empathy and compassion, but God has managed to give humans a mind that is uniquely capable of doing something about alleviating pain and suffering. While it may be admirable to live a good life on earth with the objective of gaining admittance thru the Pearly Gates as an individual, I believe that folks like the Doctors Without Borders or the researchers at NIH are more certainly following the will of God. As co-creators, they are attempting to correct some of these flaws of evolutionary creation. But can our feeble intellects correctly discern what are truly flaws? Are mango worms necessary to an ecosystem in ways we are unaware of? Would the world be better off if we caused their extinction? What about mosquitos? Or right whales? Life on earth has survived some rather drastic extinctions, but let’s hope that we don’t cause the extinction of a member of the web of life vital to our own. I would risk doing aware with those yucky worms tho–just not the ones in my garden.
God bless.
Al Leo

Are we better off now that the smallpox virus has been eradicated? Guinea worm disease has almost been eliminated. Is that good?

We humans will most certainly be better off if those two were extinct. It is tempting to think that the extinction of mosquitos would make both us humans as well as all conscious life more bearable–witness the mosquito-crazed caribou. That’s for the short run. We cannot yet predict the long range effect if that thread is cut in all the ecological webs where it currently exists.
Al Leo

3 Likes

Well, the variola virus (that causes small pox) has already been eliminated. It only exists in the lab. Human guinea worms are almost extinct. I think it is very important to control the diseases that mosquitoes spread, such as malaria, West Nile Virus, and Zika virus. It’s important to kill mosquitoes that spread these diseases. Mosquitoes will never be wiped from the face of the earth, that’s for sure.

Microcephaly is caused by the Zika virus, which mosquitoes spread. On the left is a baby with microcephaly. On the right is a normal baby.