Is intelligent design antithetical to a belief in theistic evolution?

That is a meaningless response to my question. You said God can and does intervene in the movement of objects under gravity, but not in life? Why the difference?

How did that ‘self-organising’ come about?

Really? Some would argue their purpose has already been decided, hence their final form. Does a tree choose its own purpose? Or a fish?

and

Is there not a contradiction there?

1 Like

Then the demonstration of my reaction to your response was successful.

No. I did not say that there was anything God cannot do. And I certainly did not say that God in any way interferes with gravity or any other law of nature. But the laws of nature are not deterministic – not even gravity when 3 or more objects are involved.

Even though power and ability is not the difference, there is a difference. God wants a relationship not control. Parents regularly manipulate the environment of their children in order to teach them. No they do not operate on their child’s brain in order to control them.

It is how God (or nature if you believe the atheists) designed the universe. The universe is filled with all kinds of self-organizing processes. Very few self-organize to the point of learning and storing information as biological organisms do in their DNA.

Really. It is what life is. A portion of the universe separating itself from the environment and doing things for its own reasons.

Yes, there are those who reject life. But God has asked us to embrace it. “I set before you life and death, therefore choose life.”

Over the billions of years of their evolution, yes they do. The fact that we can do so thousands to millions times faster is a measure of how much more alive the human mind can be. But of some people, Jesus said “let the dead bury their own dead.”

Only for those obsessed with power and control.

The non-scientific ‘evidence’ for God intervening in nature, apart from incarnating, is therefore not empirically evidence based, neither is it intellectual; self evident, obvious, rational. (Neither is incarnation of course, but it is in a somewhat different category of claim). So the use of the term in support of belief in casual divine intervention, aka superstition, goes beyond its meaning, which is only acceptable poetically as in Dante’s sublime, transcendent assertion L’amor che move ’l sole e l’altre stelle.

To believe any metaphor as literal, as evidence, makes it false testimony.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.