Is impartial objectivity even possible?

@MarkD also mentioned scripture.

Mentioned , but only in relation to Scientific perspectives. The subject was science .That is basic English comprehension.

Richard

I think humility is important in learning to think well. Recognizing that a great deal of what we understand as “universal truths” are not universal truths - true at all times everywhere for everyone - can feel humiliating. Learning to deal with that well requires humility.
Learning to recognize and deal with our partiality does require humility.

5 Likes

The problem with humility is that the moment you think you have attained it, you have lost it.
It is a fine goal, as long as you never think you have reached it.

Richard

3 Likes

True that.

Remembering the times you were wrong is helpful, you could be wrong again.

“Moses was the most humble man…” syndrome?

Of course.

Humility is something other people see in practice. The really humble person is too busy trying to really hear what the other person is meaning to communicate.

2 Likes

And less judgemental.

1 Like

Maybe humility is something kinda like happiness. It’s only seen with your peripheral vision. The moment you try to look directly at it (pin it down, discuss it, or study it) … it’s gone!

4 Likes

The analogy was made by Dawkins.

5 Likes

I’d say no, it’s not possible to perceive the world independent of all the embodied experiences that have shaped the way you make sense of what you perceive. All of our knowledge is filtered through our inherenlty limited and biased cognitive capacities. But I think we can still know things, be certain of things, and we can still arrive at accurate perceptions of reality.

4 Likes

Would this mean you reject Round Earthism because the conclusion was already decided on before we looked at the evidence?

Isn’t the evidence exactly what we would expect to see if the Earth was round? Or is all of the evidence just an illusion because we won’t consider Flat Earthism or any other explanation?

Perhaps you could explain how you would approach Flat Earthism given the objections you have raised in this thread.

1 Like

Why do you keep comparing to things that are not analogous? Just because it is science? Been there, done that, don’t want the T-shirt.

Richard

How would you approach a Flat Earther? How would you try to convince them that the Earth is really round?

1 Like

I would not bother.

Until and unless you can understand the principles of Evolution in relation to the principles of other science you will never understand what i am getting at. Throwing up Flat earth or weather patterns, or geology, or gravity will never help. The principles are not related. Nor are the types of data, nor the reality of the results.
Just because there are Christians who dispute X, Y or Z does not mean that the principles involved are the same a those in Evolution.
Evolution is about events in the past. Events that cannot be witnessed. The earth is round It still is. Any changes that caused the creation of specific types of animals , some of which no longer exist, cannot ever be witnessed, or proved. No matter what corroborative evidence you have or perceived connections, you still cannot show me an animal developing legs or wings or a femur that is just a round stick .All you can show me is fossils of the complete animals…

Show me a Marsupial giving birth to a placental mammal. Show me a mud skipper giving birth toan amphibian. Show me ho a beak is preferable to a jawbone without knowing that it needs to shrink beyond the viability of the jawbone.

And I will show you births of conjoined twins, hole in the heart children, deformed and incomplete foetuses that would die if it wasn’t for human medicine. Where is the next evolved human? Where is Evolution in the last Millenia? Did it stop with humanity?
Show me a chimp giving birth to a homolid.

I might just believe it if you could show me any of these transformations here and now.

Richard

If you did bother, what would you show a Flat Earther to try and convince them they are wrong?

The entire purpose of science is to understand things we can’t directly witness. Do you think the very enterprise of doing science should be thrown out just because we can’t directly witness what theories describe?

We can use Rutherford’s famous experiment as an example:

When he fired positively charged nuclei at gold foil he observed that some of them were deflected. His conclusion was that the deflection was due to positively charged gold nuclei in those atoms. Did he actually witness these collisions? No. Does this mean he wasn’t doing science because he didn’t observe his conclusions?

2 Likes

Still not the same. You can duplicate the experiment again and again and utilise the data. You cannot demonstrate a mother giving birth to a viable large deviation that continues.(I am talking about the changes needed to cross species and type not a bigger beak or a longer limb)

Why can’t you understand the limitations of what you can demonstrate?

Richard

I’m just trying to get a baseline for what you will accept. You seem to be saying that it is possible to have impartial objectivity when it comes to repeatable experiments. Is that correct? I would certainly agree with this sentiment. For example, we wouldn’t expect someone who doesn’t believe in Atom Theory to get different results in Rutherford’s experiment. The results should be the same for everyone in spite of what they believe about atoms.

Why do you think species differ from each other? Us biologists think species look different because the DNA sequence of their genomes is different. Do you think we are on the wrong track?

Thus far, the only limitation you can point to is what you are willing to accept as true.

3 Likes

You’re working harder at this than I am willing to. Whenever you offer someone an offramp for a faulty argument and they act as though you’ve slung a personal attack. Likely it is time to leave him to his own devices.

And not being willing to accept all of another person’s premises is no sign of reading incomprehension.

2 Likes

You have more faith than I do in the abilities of the Evolutionary process… In terms of the OP neither of us are starting from neutrality or impartiality.

It is all about the scope or amount of change possible in one go, and this i]the ongoing argument. Could a primal fish give birth toan amphibian (more than once) to create a new genome and creature type. I say no. You say “given enough time , yes”
Remembering that one of a new type of creature is useless unless it can still breed with the group it came from, and then it has to have dominant genes that will overide the usual offspring characteristics.

Take as a whole the probabilities involved are astronomic, unless there is some sort of guidance or parameters to funnel the direction of development. ToE does not have that sort of directional control.

Richard

Fish and amphibians are the same creature type, a vertebrate.

Also, nowhere in the theory of evolution does it describe a fish producing a frog.

Languages are a good analogy. Most people are not able to read or understand Old English, and yet there was a time period of thousands of years where Old English slowly became modern English, and each generation was able to understand one another as well as the generation before and after it. Small changes add up over time. Each and every human is born with 50 or so mutations, and they accumulate over time.

That funnel is natural selection.

Also, I don’t see any issues with probability. There are enough humans alive right now so that every possible non-lethal point mutation exists in at least one person. There was enough time in human evolution for every mutation to occur 50 to 100 times over. I don’t see how your claims about probabilities hold up.

1 Like