Is God playful?

I almost burst into tears, watching that episode. My dad used to do that with us and our friends.

2 Likes

Reading the Proverbs quote reminded me of when I was first in college and a professor told us that God was watching us closely. His “proof text” was:

“The One enthroned in heaven laughs.”

Of course the verse (from Psalm 2) isn’t talking about laughter arising from humor but from scorn, but it was still a good joke on us.

1 Like

Well I don’t think there’s any playfulness in creation. But I do think God is playfull a lot of times in a grim way if you think about it.
And in that applys I guess in the creation too ,so again he is playfull in the grim sense. I mean he created literal monsters(dinosaurs)

If dinosaurs count as grimly playful, then I suppose so would volcanoes – and viruses.

Sure .You get my point

It’s interesting that many Christians wouldn’t like the idea of ascribing anything grim to God, yet according to a rabbi I had the privilege to learn from the Jews take it for granted that all the disasters that occur are done by God. I ran into this in a Bible study once when we got to Isaiah 45, which plainly says that God is the one who creates calamity; people tried to minimize that statement while that rabbi says we should embrace it because the alternative is ascribing power to the Adversary and ascribing power is a form of worship.

In that view, the preachers who “rebuked” COVID and commanded it to flee are in the situation of rebuking God.

1 Like

Couldn’t care less to be honest whom thei attribute the power to . If the adversely had such power it was given by God. So in the end God is behind of all things.

Also I hate the notion Christians have given God tto be pure good. No. He is both good and evil.
He has the power to do evil and good. Now if it’s justifiable or not is in someone’s own interpretation .

Based on my understanding, God loves playing Peekaboo.

If you know he is immanent in his creation, not so much, but there are the occasional times when he particularly reveals himself in delightful providences (and some difficult and undesired ones as well).

On reflection, I would say God takes joy and delight in creation, but the not sure the word “playfulness” is really appropriate. Playing both for children, adults, and puppies is usually really practicing life skills needed for survival or success later on. God need no practice or preparation though perhaps we could say his playfulness is for our benefit. I do think he has humor, at least in his interaction with us and in his word, as a tool to help teach us. How else could we see the story of Balaam’s donkey?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.