Is God evil for allowing all this pain and suffering exist in this world?

No disrespect intended, but the topic was the philosophical analysis of God’s actions (if they were His) and whether (or not) Christ’s crucifixion was a necessary component. Your interest in the offering of salvation has nothing to do with it. Simple question: was it necessary by any reasonable/rational analysis?

None taken. If Jesus was God incarnate, then salvation is just a… misunderstanding. The greater meaning is transcendence. Life has meaning.

Perhaps it is. If so, it has been quite a significant one since most believe the foundations of our faith reside in the details of the atonement. I like your re-characterization of it as transcendence, by the way.

1 Like

Life has meaning ultimately because God is personal.

You make a great point. And you have adhered to it well. I notice that when an adversary falls and/or fails in his arguments, he typically accuses the other side of changing the subject. You have not done so. And to watch the Ukrainians develop such steadfast and resolute convictions to retain sovereignty, and remain vocal about their faith, is heartening indeed. This is pure anecdotal, but I have a (new) friend who is 6 months an immigrant from Ukraine. Her parents remain there and she talks to them daily (by internet). She supports exactly what you have said.

1 Like

Are you really that ignorant?Like he is not changing the subject?

He said that Ukrainians are getting more religious because of the war and that faith helps them fight back.What he wrote above has nothing to do with what he claimed

Also you should have tagged me since you are clearly talking about me .You show proper christian character huh

Pitifull christians defending their “brother” even though they are clearly on the wrong.Diocletian did something right . Cant wait for that moment again :wink:

Mr. Sawtelle, I have a short update, narrative given me by my new friend from Ukraine. Her parents told her about the massacre in a village near them 4 days ago. Over 20 men were rounded up and cuffed behind their backs, then executed with a single shot to the base of their brains. The villages/suburbs nearby gathered for prayer. Most of them are of Orthodox religion, some Greek some Russian. Her words were that “100% are of faith and resolute against the Russians”. Even allowing for some degree of hyperbole, she delivers a powerful message. Thanks again for your thoughts!

No one knows what the atonement is, only the fact that there was one. Such belief misses the point. Glad you like if God, as in Christ, then all is well for all. There are no details.

There are objectively knowable details in God’s providential interventions into the lives of his children. He does not use the same M.O. with all, but with some there are facts without bias that point straight to him, and flat out denialism is the only way to avoid the truth.

Ha! Apparently you haven’t figured out whose pigpen you’re playing in, and you failed to notice the sign at the gate: the one that says “Abandon Hope all ye who play here”. Worse, you failed to obey the first rule of playing in a pigpen which is: Always treat the pig with respect, regardless what it does in its own pen.

Not only is that thought a warming comfort, it has the added benefit of being a logical consequence of our evolution. There is a reason so many scientists are moving toward a faith in God. They see that the likelihood of random natural occurrences resulting in the impossibly complex organisms we are today as being statistically implausible. So God was in control. Is he still, I wonder, but perhaps so.

1 Like

I will heed that sage advice, Terry! On a (barely) related note,I have often been accused of drawing a target around the place my arrow lands.

2 Likes

Absolutely, but in ways we cannot detect. Sometimes they become obvious, though, as in Maggie’s case, and Rich Stearns’. And then there’s George Müeller. God hasn’t changed.

1 Like

Nick, what’s behind calling yourself an ExChristian? Thanks.

Nick, I’m not trying to corner you, but I am trying to understand; I’m trying to draw you out from what seems like a attitude of victimhood. Experience and hypocrites can lead to a such a response. Many of us could state the same and stop there. Still, I’m curious. And, if that’s your sole answer, what’s your purpose in commenting in the BioLogos Forums? (Of course, as long as you abide by the “Gracious Dialogue” spirit, keep posting!)

You are trying to do what i call “reverse victimhood”.Youre trying to prove yourself here(the christians)and your God to be the victims.Not gonna happen.Nor will i ever change my opinion.I hate all christians equal dont worry:)(expect those who understand )

That i wont answer

Nick, our typing was passing “in the night” Who is this response for?

Please use someone’s name or copy part of a response.

Thanks,

For you.By you claiming i have an attitude of victimhood you are guily of what i said above…Either you can take it back or we can keep going like this .But since you claimed something which is not true that i have not to put up with just know that from now own my replies wont have any gracious dialogue in it nor sugarcoating.
Ill keep it flat and simple

Nick, when some writes “personal experience,” I think it’s a natural tendency to think the writer (you) sees something harmful that came from those experiences.

You described your response as “criticizing harshly.” You call me an old man; I don’t think we know each other. You state I’m “offended” and use “irony and ignorant arguments” You write that I exhibit “obnoxious behavior” and that I “deserve all the “hate” you get.” I don’t think of myself as a victim, though there are plenty of Christians who do; and plenty of non-Christians, ex-Christians.

I’m not asking you to change your opinion. If you’re sharing your opinion on this forum, I want to understand what’s behind it.

That was for @Terry_Sampson .If you see on the right corner of the response it has his name and photo.Are you for real right now?