Is Genesis 7:11 ("the windows of heaven") figurative or literal?

I most likely would not believe any stories you told me… because you would not believe them yourself.

My point in relating that a fish had a big enough mouth, was not to deny the miraculous aspect of the story, it was simply to illustrate the ignorance of those who do not believe the miracle. Whether God use miraculous means, or natural means, or a combination of both, I trust the story more than I trust those who try to discredit it.

Aand I hope that will be my last word on this story.

1 Like

A good reply, John. I know you accept the miraculous just as I do. Unfortunately, some people cannot.

@Henry,

If Roger can INSIST that God controls the weather, but doesn’t TOUCH chromosomes… if he can INSIST that God can send thunderbolts burning through the atmosphere (perhaps to destroy an evil doer?) - - but would not send one photon to alter a genetic sequence …

Then I think I can have the leeway to think a Bible story that sounds like a parable … IS a parable.

Henry, please have a splendid weekend!

1 Like

I consider you and George to be friends; however, I must agree with what you are saying here. However, I do not believe Joseph Priestley and Daniel Whitby would agree with George. Benjamin Franklin even believed in the resurrection of the body even though he was influenced by the enlightenment.

@Eddie, This takes us right back to our first conversations.

I consider myself a THEISTIC EVOLUTIONIST … because I believe in a Cosmic Conscious power … and I believe it was and is involved in the rise of intelligent life in the Universe.

At this point … you will no doubt fight the impulse to tell me that I JUST CANT BE A THEIST unless I’m a Trinitarian… blah blah blah.

I count myself a supporter of BioLogos because I believe in God who guided human evolution.

I dwell on the Old Testament narratives because I think it is easier to show that the unhistorical stories are either parables, unintentionally garbled or INTENTIONALLY garbled.

1 Like

Hello George,

I must agree that you have that right. I do not deny that. I feel that God can control weather and other things; however, he created natural laws to do that too. He can intervene whenever he feels necessary. However, most of the time, he uses his laws of nature to control things. Both can exist: the miraculous and the natural. Also, let’s not question George’s loyalty.

I hope it’s your last word too …

If you picked up a book by Homer… I’m not too sure I’d be very happy with what you started teaching my Greek children …

I must agree somewhat with you too; however, I believe that the story is real. It has to do with miracles. In any case, Eddie, have a great weekend. You have given a good answer. :grinning:

@Eddie,

You lost me after the second sentence… I’m a Unitarian. I’m a theist. I support the science of Evolution. And I believe God is involved in the evolution of intelligent life. I don’t think there’s is anything else I need to do or be to be a Friend of BioLogos.

1 Like

@Eddie,

Of course … a God of miracles could do ANY of these things. He could make a donkey talk. He could give someone magical hair (Samson). And he could create the Universe in 6 days.

So, Eddie, how is it that you deny your MIRACULOUS GOD the Six Day scenario of Creation? Don’t you take your Bible seriously?

You are correct.

I agree. I do not feel there was an ice layer. I must say that that is a new one on me.

Are you trying to sound Yiddish? Unitarian/Schmunitarian? :laughing:

This is why I don’t talk about New Testament events. But challenging the events of the Old Testament is completely different. BioLogos and I fiercely challenge the narratives of a significant part of Genesis… and I touch on other events that are equally fictional.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: