Is evolution "God-guided"?

I think it will be the result of the century to find out that there is life somewhere else in the universe.

I suppose. It doesn’t really have any bearing on the discussion so far …

Science is detecting that God isn’t answering prayers:

So it was an accident that mammals formed, primates formed and hominids formed. Isn’t what you call an accident called evolution under natural selection?

Eddie,

A “close reading” of my comment such as befits someone of your august academic stature will reveal that I never used the word “intervention” or even “divine.” I spoke only of “special creation.” You are going further than the text allows and imputing motives where there were none. Come now, Eddie; we have come to expect better of you! [half-smile, half-smirk]

This was a pleasant, innocuous post about how we can best indoctrinate our children from the earliest of ages with this heretical evolution stuff, and here you go again barging in with your anti-BioLogos invective. You are taking us quite far afield from my beloved Grandmother Fish. In the spirit of our venerable moderators, I suggest: Please start a new thread about your origin-of-life axes to grind. :slight_smile:

Good-naturedly,
AMW

1 Like

It would be beyond exciting!

I can’t even IMAGINE why someone would reject “guide” “guided” and “guidance”. It is general enough to embrace all the necessary positions - - and it doesn’t get bogged down in the trivial level of details.

The Pew Poll uses the term GUIDED. That’s good enough for me.

Patrick you are arguing for an Atheistic position on a BioLogos board. That’s an utter waste of time.

Science cannot tell God’s yes from God’s no.

And if God is using Natural Law for the purposes of evolution, then there is no way for atheistic sciences to see a difference in how Evolution works.

George

I know… that’s why I am the lucky one to make that comparison!

If both sides of this discussion are in error, I think I’m the one closest to the truth.

Like the Mormons, Muslims are devoted to their latter-day Prophet. The context in which Muhammed was raised was a swirling
fusion of lots of religious ideals … NOT EXCLUDING 1) Judaism; 2) Christianity; 3) and probably a good bit of Arab folk religion.

I don’t make any money on these speculations, Eddie, but really … can’t we see the arcs of thought that UNITE the Islamic world view to the Mormon world view?

George

I can’t agree. Pew chose it’s vocabulary very well. The only way to improve on Pew’s choice of words is to make absolutely clear that God could have
used 100% natural law (I.e., “front-loading”) to do his GUIDING.

George

The question reduces itself to one idea: is Mormonism a subset of Christianity or not? If it is … Islam fits in along with it.

If NOT … well, I think Mitt Romney would be pretty disappointed…

George

Eddie, you are most amusing.

Firstly, I think you misread what I typed. I said that even if I was in error, I am closer to the truth (compared to those who would insist that Islam is completely unrelated to Christianity).

Secondly, don’t you find it at all interesting that Islam and Mormonism would share so many traits? Even polygamy was at something they shared - - and they both share an antipathy to alcohol. There’s not a lot of religions in the world who share just one of those points - - and to think they once shared BOTH points is not something to dismiss lightly.

George