Is evolution fantasy?

Do you take advantage of evil atheist medical science? Or are you into faith healing only?

3 Likes

Creationism and Satanism are virtually the same thing. So little wonder the creationist-devil alliance resembles some kind of demonic cult – it is basically the worship of evil and deception, replete with its own creation myth making the serpent the source of truth.

The italics used here??? I don’t really believe this, even if there is a grain of truth to it. More importantly, I think this makes more sense than what you said and I can defend this claim better than you can defend yours.

DEFINITELY! When people like you equate evolution with atheism then that is certainly not demonstrable. But I am talking about the scientific findings which is all about what can be demonstrated. Shall we make a list?

1. It can be demonstrated that the universe is over 13.7 billion years old.
  2. It can be demonstrated that the Earth is over 4.5 billion years old.
  3. It can be demonstrated that life has been evolving on the Earth for over 3.5 billion years.
  4. The process of evolution by which species change and new species come into existence can be demonstrated in a laboratory.
  5. The common ancestry of all life on the earth can be demonstrated in their genetic material.
  6. The evolution of species can be demonstrated in the remains left over in the earth.
2 Likes

That’s rather strange since there are millions of Christians who use the scientific method in their work every day.

Perhaps you should have a discussion with your fellow Christians who are in the sciences.

4 Likes

Methodological naturalism uses tools extensively, maths being one of them. Now if you had difficulty with algebra or the study of logic, your sentiment would be understandable.

1 Like

That would be true.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Atheism includes the possibility that the supernatural exists.

Yeah, I thought ‘virtually’ sort of covered it.

That is incorrect. One can be an atheist and deny any possibility that the supernatural exists. Atheism does not include anything about the possibility that the supernatural exists. The most you can say is that atheists can acknowledge a possibility that the supernatural exists and there are in fact many atheists such as Buddhists who actually believe the supernatural exists.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that atheism does not preclude a belief in the possibility that the supernatural exists.

1 Like

The “line” between the groups is far too blurry to do that: eutriconodonts are mammals under most definitions, cynognathians are not quite, gorgonopsids are further, and sphenacodontids are even further away.

They are, but not both at the same time: uranium, absorbed by corals in south Florida was used to date the early Caloosahatchee Fm. to 2.4 MYA. The fossils clearly show that the lower Waccamaw and “Lower James City” Formations are contemporaneous. But claiming that it is circular reasoning is still just as invalid.

2 Likes

If you go to church instead of assuming that God will miraculously transport you there if He wants you to attend, you have used a natural method. Jesus and Paul both dismiss demands for a miracle. Historical evidence (including the Bible) and everyday experience alike show that most events do happen according to the patterns of natural laws. Theologically, natural laws are our descriptions of God’s ordinary physical ways of running the universe. So it is quite reasonable and theologically sound to think that a “methodologically natural” explanation is a good first choice, while being willing to consider the possibility of exceptions if the evidence warrants. People make silly claims about miracles or magic all the time; we should not favor non-natural explanations when there is no reason to do so.

Claims that “methodological naturalism” entails atheism are popular with less thoughtful atheists, because it gives them an easy excuse, and with people who are promoting unjustified claims of miracles such as the popular end of ID. But logically, the fact that I can drop the envelope next to me and see that it obeys the law of gravity is uninformative about God’s existence. God could be involved in the process in some fashion, or a god could exist who isn’t involved with falling envelopes but does something else, or a god might not exist and envelopes fall by themselves.

3 Likes

Is asking the question ‘Is evolution fantasy?’ one of literary criticism? About a story? Should it be alongside ‘Is physics fantasy?’?

1 Like

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see…
( Freddie Mercury)

3 Likes

That is a very good way of putting it.

“Methodological naturalism” is actually essential to biblical interpretation generally and understanding miracles in particular. The Bible assumes that the reader has a basic grasp of how the world works; it does not exhaustively spell out every bit of information needed for understanding.

We cannot see the significance of miracles unless we know that they are different from the usual, “natural” pattern of things. The Resurrection is impressive only if we know that dead people stay dead. Pharaoh’s magicians knew something was significant when they couldn’t imitate what Moses and Aaron did.

2 Likes

One day later, and my main sewer pipe has sprung a leak.

Are you gonna try the Pastor this time? Or maybe you can find an exorcist in the yellow pages.

Ooh, not inside the house, I hope!

If you need the number of an atheist plumber who applies atheistic methodological naturalism just let me know. For an additional 10% the plumber will promise not to look for supernatural causes.

3 Likes