Is Evolution an all or nothing Theory?

I think this thread has gone a little too far in its hostility to Richard G.

I agree. I think Richard’s question was answered well early on when it was stated that like any area of science, some parts are well supported, and some parts are subject to debate. I think with evolution, those contentious issues are mostly in the details of the actual mechanism, and how different factors interplay, not in the basic framework.
Any thoughts related to your initial question, Richard? Was it addressed adequately?

This is evolution without natural selection, which does not explain the reason for change. Do life forms change just because they mutate, or is there a purpose behind the change? That is, is evolution random or purposeful?

If you were falsely accused in a paternity case, would you trust a DNA test to show your Innocence? Why or why not?

1 Like

Probably more like 9.

I thought this forum demanded charitable treatment for all participants? I’d refrain from labelling other people “blind” for the simple reason you disagree with them. Just saying… all the best to you.

2 Likes

If common Ancestry is deemed correct then any other aspect of the theory is irrelevant. Because it is only a support to that notion. So it is not a matter of all or nothing in the usual sense of the phrase. IOW I can argue details as much as I like but it won’t change the conclusion that we have central ancestry. The conclusion flies against any criticism of its parts.
Yes, the contention is with the details, but shouldn’t that mean that the conclusion cannot be deemed certain?

Richard

Mere contention about some details does not change the certainty of an established scientific conclusion.

Can you name any course of study you have taken in biology? Any book on the subject you have actually read? Can you cite any peer reviewed, scientometrically ranked support for whatever your position is?

Ok I have decided to drive to the moon. I know it can be done because there is evidence that humans have been there. I know my car can get me there because it has proved itself. I don’t know the exact route but it must be possible. Everyone knows that

That is what you are telling me

Richard

I studied to college level and have the paperwork somewhere to prove it. Perhaps you would like to challenge my understanding of anatomy and physiology. Evolutionary theory has moved on since I was taught it but the rest has not really changed.
Richard

I am not sure when survival of the fittest changed to just survival. It makes it so much easier if all you have to do is hide in a corner until evolution finishes the transformations.

Richard

You studied biology to what college level? HE? You’re a Brit aren’t you? What course of study?

Haldane’s rule (1922) hasn’t changed. It comports (US) with Dobzhansky’s timeless 1973 observation from your time that

nothing makes sense in biology except in the light of evolution

He was inspired by J.B.S. above, of course, and de Chardin’s 1955

(Evolution) general condition to which all theories, all hypotheses, all systems must bow and which they must satisfy henceforward if they are to be thinkable and true. Evolution is a light which illuminates all facts, a curve that all lines must follow. (p. 219 of The Phenomenon of Man )

Not that you have ever read a book by a biologist.

1 Like

Teacher training. It’s difficult to get qualifications without reading text books.

And what you quoted is not science but dogma.

Richard

Which books? What subject did you train to teach? That qualifies you to biologically scientifically critique, opine? And as you tacitly admit, you’ve never read a non-textbook by a biologist, I doubt you have by or about any scientist.

You’re saying Haldane’s rule is dogma? Please give your reasoning.

PS And please make sense of biology without evolution.

1 Like

Then show us a single genetic difference between the human and chimp genomes that could not be produced by known mechanisms of mutation.

1 Like

It involved counting – not very sophisticated math. Just counting how many instances there are of different kinds of genetic differences. It achieves what I wanted it to achieve: it tests a prediction of common descent.

There was no formula to derive.

This leaves you with a problem, or rather a choice. What I presented is one of the simpler pieces of genetic evidence for common descent, described for a broad audience (trust me, a technical description for publication would be much harder to understand). This is the evidence that you claim you understand and that you claim to know is preposterous (or whatever terms you’ve been using). But it’s also evidence that you don’t understand. Your choice is this: you can do the work (I said it would not be trivial) of understanding this piece of evidence. It’s not actually that complicated, and @T_aquaticus has offered to walk you through the logic of the evidence. Or you can stop attacking evolutionary biology that you don’t understand.

6 Likes

Evolution has already produced the transformations, and we have the record of those transformations in the genomes of living species.

2 Likes

Well, no. A simple genetic test will tell you that two people are close relatives, but it may not be able to tell you if they’re half-siblings or aunt/nephew. So what? We don’t need to know the details to determine the accuracy of the conclusion.

1 Like

“survival of the fittest” has never meant what you appear to think it means. And you are not alone in this misunderstanding.

4 Likes