Introductions Thread (Come say hi.)

Oh, I totally forgot that Biologos has a curricula suggestion page as well!!! I think I investigated it before a year or two ago and most things seemed too “old” for my kids but I need to re-evaluate that.

We slacked off a bit this winter schoolwise - I believe I mentioned this before, but my sister died of a drug overdose in October. That was pretty devastating and it took a few months just to resume a normal routine. I’m finally feeling excited about learning with my kids again and thinking we might just school through summer in a somewhat more relaxed mode.

I will note that Sunday School teacher Pete Enns is very different in tone and style than blogger Pete Enns. It’s totally appropriate for kids.

Oh, so sorry! Hope you are getting the support you need as you navigate all the fallout.

LOL today I can get one bar holding my computer up to the window, I didn’t even need to climb on the roof!

1 Like

Ooh, thanks for that recommendation! Sonlight uses “Leading Little Ones to God” for first grade, which doesn’t look terrible, but it also seems a bit old-fashioned and maybe too “systematic” for my tastes… I really like the previews I’m seeing of that Enns one… I might just have to switch.

Oh, good to know! Yeah, blogger Pete Enns was a little snarky for my tastes. You are saying it’s the same person but using a very different tone and style, and not literally a different Pete Enns, right? :joy:

1 Like

And I am so glad to hear that accessing the internet has become a less perilous exercise!!!

5 posts were split to a new topic: Biblical vs. Secular approach to education: What’s the difference?

A post was split to a new topic: Pentecostals and evolutionary creationism

Hi.
I am nee to biologos and a new homeschooler with 2 boys ages 8 and 11.
Alyssa

1 Like

Hi Alyssa, welcome to the forum!

Hope you find some valuable input here. Feel free to pop in and ask a question or share an observation or good resource any time! :slight_smile:

Thank you!
I am homeschooling/unschooling in Australia.
It is great to find this forum as I do not know any other Christian homeschoolers who teach their children both the Bible and accept evolution.
It will be great to get some tips how.

2 Likes

Hey! I’m a homeschooled student and advocate of EC in a world of YEC homeschoolers XD Excited to be here!

5 Likes

Welcome, Zach! Glad you found us. A lot of us are in the same boat when it comes to being in a world of YEC!

3 Likes

Thanks Elle! Yeah, that’s for sure :slight_smile:

Welcome, Zach. We hope we can be of help and support. It is sometimes tough to know how to approach difficult subjects in a loving manner with friends and loved ones, especially when the reaction received may not be so positively inclined. We all pray for God’s wisdom in life’s journey.

3 Likes

Hi Alyssa,

Welcome from one who reads a lot here but is often very late in responding. Do you live in Cairns? I’d be interested in learning what the homeschool scene is like there, or more generally in Australia. My son wants to visit your part of the world, as he wants to see a saltwater crocodile!

Please do let us know if there are specific “tips” you are interested in. This forum has been a wonderful source of ideas and encouragement for me.

Warm Regards,
Bruce Holt
Washington, DC (but soon to be Frankfurt, Germany) area

1 Like

Hi Zach. Welcome to the forum from a homeschooling father. I hope you are able to find lots of encouragement through your interactions here, as I have.

If you are willing to share, I would love to learn more about your background with homeschooling and learning about science. Does the rest of your family share or support your EC thinking? I’m curious partly because my wife and I are not in accord in our thinking about these matters, and my son probably feels caught in the middle more than he lets me know. So I’ll be able to relate if that is a difficult issue for you.

I’m also rather obsessed with geography and like learning where people live.

I know some who come to the forum prefer to maintain some anonymity, so no worries if you don’t want to respond with more details here.

Warm Regards,
Bruce Holt

3 Likes

Hey Mr. Holt!

Thanks so much! My dad is not opposed to evolutionary creationism but leans towards old-earth stuff. My mom is more young-earth but not anti-old-earth. So I’m the only evolutionary creationist :wink: I did do the Answers in Genesis curriculum in elementary/middle school but now just study normal college texts for science.

The issue does come up a lot! I’m in IL by Wheaton College.

Zach

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

This will be our third year homeschooling. We have three children, ages 6, 6, and 7.

We are a bit of a lone family as far as a homeschooling community goes, because the nearest co-op is an hour away and we have very snowy winters. However, our children are in various activities (swimming, karate, scouting), which helps.

We use a Charlotte Mason-influenced approach to homeschooling and use almost all free resources.

We are a secular homeschooling family, but enjoy incorporating/addressing religious topics (in art, music, prose, etc.). We currently use underthehome.org for most of our subjects (reading, math, science, history, geography, art, music, prose, poetry). We also use khan academy for math review and Salsa Spanish for foreign language.

When we started, we weren’t sure how homeschooling would work for our family, but now it’s hard to imagine sending the children to school outside the home every day.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @momo3! I sympathize with the “very snowy winters” aspect of homeschooling – we have them too and it makes it hard to get involved in much that involves a lot of driving just because the cancellation rate is so high.

Under the Home looks really neat – I will have to check it out.

Thanks for the welcome, Elle!

1 Like