Introductions Thread (Come say hi.)

I home school my 2 children who are 5th grade and 1st grade. Most of the home schoolers I know are YEC but I just don’t talk about our views much. We belong to a Christian co-op where I teach 1st-3rd grade science;) The book we are using is by Jay Wile called Science in the Ancient World and I’ve really enjoyed it. We will be using his next book in the series to somewhat line up with history in the middle ages.

We homeschool because I feel I can provide a better education for my children. I enjoy the freedom of teaching to their strengths and giving them a more classical education. It can be difficult to find science that doesn’t focus too much on YEC but we’ve used Sonlight in the past as well as Apologia. My kids understand what my husband and I believe and have had some really good discussions about why we believe what we believe.

My husband and I found BioLogos a few years ago after reading The Language of God. It was nice to read a book that made it okay to believe in an old earth and evolution and still be a Christian. I really helped me be more comfortable with my beliefs.

3 Likes

Hello! I’m so excited for this forum. We have three kids (ages 6, 4, and 2). I never intended to homeschool, but when our oldest was ready for preschool, it just didn’t seem like a good fit for her. I’ve come to appreciate the flexibility of a homeschooling lifestyle (we don’t need to bend to a school calendar); the low teacher-to-student ratio that lets me tailor school to their interests and abilities; and the opportunity to choose a more rigorous path than is locally available.

There is an active local co-op here, and while I am thankful for the activities they sponsor, I also feel like I’m hiding. Everyone I know uses Apologia and is YEC, and the co-op is planning a 1000-mile field trip to the Creation Museum this summer. While I absolutely understand choosing to keep non-YEC views under wraps and the many good reasons for doing so, for me my silence has been based on fear of rejection, and I don’t believe that that’s a healthy reason for me to be silent. I’m working on gathering up the courage to be more transparent, knowing what an encouragement it’s been to me to find Biologos and other believers who find the evidence for an old earth and evolution compelling. If nothing else, maybe seeing someone who engages with biblical and scientific scholarship AND loves Jesus might complicate some of the binaries advocated by groups like AiG. It’s comforting to know that other readers have struggled with how to broach this conversation, too.

5 Likes

I’ve had the discussion with a few fellow home schoolers. Actually it went well each time. The first time it was something my daughter said, she said “in the time of the dinosaurs” and the mom asked me. I was honest and we really haven’t discussed it since. One of the mom’s actually passed on a science book that someone gave her because she thought it lined up with what we believe better than what she believes. Each of these moms and I were friends and knew each other well before so maybe that helps too. It is harder to make generalizations about someone you know well.

In my experience most people may not understand why you believe what you believe, I don’t really understand why they believe what they believe, but they aren’t mean or judgemental. I can think of a couple moms I know that might not be very understanding. I don’t hide what I believe but I don’t go around shouting from the roof tops either;) I won’t lie about it but sometimes it just seems best to keep quiet.

2 Likes

Welcome, Robin! It sounds like we live in the same area, lol.

I’m thrilled that this online community is developing and that many are finding it helpful to discover others who are seeking to teach good science within a homeschool setting. One additional request I’d make is if people can tell generally where they have lived. Partly that’s because I’m a total geo-nerd and I always like learning that about people, but I’m also curious to see if there are geographic patterns in the locations of people who participate in this forum.

I gave a good amount of personal background previously on another thread, so I won’t repeat that here, but I will address the question of “What brought you to homeschooling?”

I have a degree in Secondary Education, and I spent nine years teaching high school Computer Science in the DC area. Despite my decision to leave professional teaching, I remain a teacher at heart. So from the beginning of my interactions with my son, I was continually seeking out teachable moments in the everyday course of life. Living around DC gave us access to many wonderful (and often free) cultural attractions—museums, embassies, gardens, etc.—and we spent many Saturday mornings at Borders perusing books for a few hours. I’ve remarked before that I was homeschooling well before my son was of “school age”, so the early elementary years seemed in many ways just an extension of what we had been doing all along.

Still, my wife and I weren’t a couple that always knew we’d be homeschooling parents, and if you had asked me when our son was a toddler, I don’t know if I would have predicted this is the road we’d be on. There wasn’t a single moment when we knew this is the choice for us. Rather, a series of observations coalesced into a compelling picture as we considered the homeschooling option—and particularly as we observed and conversed with homeschooling families—over a year or two.

A few of those observations stand out:

• Almost without fail, the kids in homeschooling families seemed well-adjusted and socially adept. We particularly recall discussing how they seemed much more comfortable talking to adults or kids of different ages than other kids we knew were. We started asking questions like, “Does it really prepare kids well for life to have them spend seven hours a day interacting almost exclusively with kids their own age?” We were aware of the old stereotype of the sheltered and socially inept homeschooled kid, but we came to conclude that things had come full circle; we wanted our son to develop the relational and conversational maturity that we were observing in our homeschooling friends’ kids.

• Several of the parents in our neighborhood who had kids in the public school would tell us how much homework their kids were coming home with—even in kindergarten and first grade. Some of this may have been a product of living in hyper-competitive Montgomery County, MD, but I don’t remember my early-elementary years (also in MoCo) being like that. Though I was very eager to remain involved in my son’s education, trying to help him complete worksheets after dinner when we’re all exhausted wasn’t what I had in mind. We were resolved that our son have ample time for rest and play and slow meals and impromptu adventures and unhurried discussions, and we were convinced that we could provide him an excellent education in far fewer hours per day than would be required if he were in the public school.

We also are quite “out the mainstream” in a lot areas, particularly in regards to matters of health and wellness. So, for example, when we’d think about our commitment to acquiring, preparing, and consuming natural foods and how that commitment would work for our son in the school cafeteria, well… it was hard to even imagine.

The early years were often difficult for my wife. She’s had persistent health challenges since I’ve known her, and sometimes my son’s “boy energy” was almost more than she could bear. That’s one reason CC has been so great for us; in addition to the overall excellent educational program, the community of parents and students has been a godsend. Of course, this also makes the decision about possibly leaving CC more stressful. I really don’t want to abandon such a wonderful community of friends; I hope we can find a way to remain part of the program without the specter of constant YEC indoctrination. But I’ll continue the conversation on that topic on the other thread.

1 Like

@cartophile
Geography: I grew up (and was homeschooled myself K-5) near Chicago, I lived and taught for four years in Virginia, moved back to Chicago and lived and taught there for eight years, moved to Texas for a year and started homeschooling, moved to Mexico for three years, moved back to Texas for this current school year, and this summer, I’m moving back to Mexico where I will be indefinitely.

Hi everyone, my name is Nathan Creitz. My wife and I homeschool our two oldest children (the youngest is 8 months old). Our daughter is a 6yo and our son is a 4yo. We live in New York City and I am the church planting pastor of City Life Church in Queens. Almost everything we do goes against majority culture in some way. Our decision to homeschool is often greeted with polite curiosity from neighbors. But, strangely enough, our belief that God created the world and the science seems clear that He used evolutionary creation as the process meets with more pushback from brothers and sisters in Christ.

My wife and I have found BioLogos to be very helpful in providing resources for homeschoolers. I recently showed my children the video about the Grand Story of Creation from BioLogos and they loved it. We were excited to discover this new forum. We want our children to be classically educated and to be familiar with modern scientific theory of origins and also be intimately acquainted with God’s sovereign work of creation.

We would love to hear what other homeschool parents are using to teach science in the early years.

5 Likes

These threads have some discussion of people’s experience with various materials, if you haven’t found them already:

https://discourse.biologos.org/t/the-deal-with-homeschool-science-materials/

https://discourse.biologos.org/t/discussion-of-experiences-related-to-homeschooling-and-science-education

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

Thread is a bit old I know, sorry for resurrecting it.

I heard of BioLogos a long time ago from /r/Christianity. My faith hinges on Jesus Christ, and I used to live in Vancouver BC which is pretty liberal, so I never really faced rejection and the need to staunchly defend my views on creation. I felt like if I’m wrong I’m wrong, okay, I’ll get you a coffee in heaven. It really doesn’t matter. I just want to know how things work out of curiosity and reverance for the Creator: if tomorrow they find a completely different explaination of evolution, then I’ll go with what’s the most reasonable.

Well, having recently moved to Ontario Canada, apparently “live and let live” doesnt work.

I applied to be part of a HomeSchooling group that I thought happened to be Christian. Cool. But before I can even apply they need my husband and I to sign a document that reads “we reject any notion of evolution”. Right beneath " we believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

I sent the form back, truthfully denying to agree to it. If pretty sure we’ll be rejected. Which sucks. Because there are no other groups in my region for homeschoolers, secular or Christian. It really really sucks.

Anyway I’m going to have to start my own group I think. Even if this one group allows me in I feel pretty conflicted about potentially being treated as a leper, or having to keep proving myself to be Christian to them. I don’t know I hope I’m just being too hard on them and hopefully they’re actually cool and have a range of views they accept.

Anyone in Oshawa ON?

2 Likes

People post on old threads all the time, no problem. Welcome to the forum!

My daughter was in a co-op this year to take one class and although they did not ask about origins views, the application process was more involved than it is for some colleges. In addition to the long and detailed application form which asked some silly questions like “does your child ever misbehave,” we had to have three references (one from a pastor), samples of student writing (so she could take a musical theater class) and a family interview. It was over the top. So my sympathies to you as you try to find a group. I bet if you started your own group, you’d find you weren’t the only disaffected one, you should go for it.

This particular group is for kids as young as 5. There was the aforementioned 6 page 12pt font statement of faith affirmation that we must sign and agree to, a testimony of how my husband and I came to Christ, and only after that will be the home interview. Followed by a one year probationry period during which we can be excommunicated at will, and only then can we wait list for tier 2 membership.

Getting into seminary school and getting baptised were much easier.

I am not a leader type. But this really leaves me with no choice.

What kinda of things are offered at a co-op? I’m so new at this whole thing.

Hi, I’m a 2nd generation homeschooler and extremely enthusiastic to have discovered this forum!

My kids are in the dinosaur phase. They are 6 and 3.5.

I was raised in awe of Ken Ham. My family (homeschoolers/missionaries) attended his seminars and chirped “Were you there?” at any whiff of evolution in books and tv programs. Young earth creationism was a significant part of my Christian identity. (This was in central WA state btw)

In college I met people who were Jesus lovers who didn’t believe that the earth was young. Most influential was my biology major roommate (I was studying English lit) who happened to be a Hugh Ross fan. She regularly got materials from Reasons to Believe. I ate them up. My viewpoint began to change. At this point I’d consider myself an evolutionary creationist. It was a gradual shift; but my death grip on Genesis loosened bit by bit.

I now reside in Boise Idaho and enjoy a robust homeschooling culture here. Unfortunately, the co-ops I’ve looked into use YEC materials exclusively and the state convention has workshops in the same vein. I have not needed to “out” myself as a believer in evolution yet, simply because my kids are very young, but I know it is in my near future as I search for a group. I’ve used some Sonlight materials with my kids but for the most part we are unschooled at this point. I do have a degree in education and an endorsement in library media. I taught in public schools for several years before having kids. I left a ‘dream job’ as a librarian to stay home with my babies.

I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum! I’m not a scientist or a theologian, but I’m an educator and a lifelong learner. Thankful to have found you!

4 Likes

Hi, Carrie – glad you’ve found some good community here! I’m not official here or anything (and not even a homeschooler :worried:), but I am an enthusiastic Christian educator. I hope that’s close enough for occasional fellowship here. I guess maybe you’ve been hanging out here a while and probably don’t need introductions, but I just wanted to let you know I resonate with your passions towards kids (especially your own!) and being a lifelong learner. My own two sons are both undergraduates in college right now [is there an emoji for panhandler complete with a ‘donate’ button?]

In any case I’ve always enjoyed this forum for its wildly unrestrictive participation (but not completely out of control --thanks, moderators). But it is quite a contrast to a typical Bible study where answers are well-prescribed and carefully corralled back into the fold should any stray across a line. This can be frustratingly far the other way for people concerned about heresy and imminent lightning strikes – but, hey! It’s not like we’re all standing right next to each other, right? But I do think there is something healthy (even in the midst of existing dangers too!) of all of us feeling safe enough to bring our thoughts, be they orthodox, heretical, or just crazy to the table for other Christians to react to or even correct. There are very few Christian fellowships that are like this. (And yes, I think this qualifies as Christian fellowship even without everybody here being required to self-identify that way – we are all the richer for it.)

In any case, that’s my long welcome.

4 Likes

Hi Carrie! Some of us never leave that phase.

5 Likes

Hi Carrie, so glad you found your way here! No science or theology degrees are required. :grin:

And just for clarification’s sake, it’s the open forum where things can be more of a theological free for all. We have asked the participants on the homeschool forum to be people who accept or are least seriously exploring the BioLogos perspective and don’t have a problem with our What We Believe statement.

2 Likes

@Homeschool_Forum Hello! I’m so thankful for this thread. I discovered Biologos a couple years ago and was so relieved to find it! Our family came to the Christian faith about three years ago. Before that, we were sort of adrift in a new-agey pastiche with a Brahmanistic / pantheistic view of God. What a relief to know that God is very intensely personal! I was very attracted to Biologos as not only a way to reconcile evolution with the Christian faith but also as a community of people wrestling with all the big questions!

I always wanted to homeschool. I grew up attending large suburban public schools (with the exception of high school - private Catholic all-girls) and loathed school from day one. I wanted my children to have a much different educational and formational experience than I did! I have a son, Israel, age 6 (we chose the name somewhat randomly when we were still new-agey, obviously… I love how God works) and a daughter, Arrow, age 4. Last year was our first year of homeschooling.

We are originally from Kansas City but two years ago moved to a very rural area in southeastern Colorado. The a couple months ago, we moved to a small town about forty minutes outside of Wichita. We’ve already joined a co-op here and it looks like our homeschooling support community will be much better than in Colorado, where hs’ers were quite sparse and most were YEC (though very nice people that we had playdates with - just might have been challenging to be in a co-op situation with them, had one existed, since we had some different views). Anyway, I’m so grateful this forum has been established!

2 Likes

Welcome, Ashley! So glad you found us! I hope you and the family are enjoying what remains of the summer before you dive into school:-) And feel free to ask questions of this group. There are several pretty experienced homeschooling families here:-)

1 Like

I am a reluctant homeschooler:). I grew up in a great public school and have been very pro public school. However, in Jan, the local public school started to rapidly become a poor fit for my second grader. He was bored and equated school as a place where he didnt learn. There is something particularly tragic about a jaded 7 yo. He would come home and try to learn as much as he could about math and science just to scratch this insatiable itch of his. And then he would spend 7 hours at school “doing nothing.”

So, after about 6 weeks of trying to figure out what to do and work with the system, we pulled him out. I promised him that he could learn as much math and science as he wanted to (I am a chemical engineer by training, so this is also my first love!). And we have not looked back. I wish we had pulled him sooner, it has been such an unexpectedly good fit for us.

Now my rising 1st grader wants to be homeschooled, as does my 4yo. I told my 1st grader that I wanted him to finish first grade at the local school, and then I would homeschool him if he still wanted it.

3 Likes

@Jen.R Good for you taking into consideration the needs of each individual kid. I’m always a little skeptical when people think homeschooling, or public, or private school is the only good/rational/Christian/whatever option. Obviously different situations work for different parents and different kids at different phases of life and circumstances.

I’m a reluctant homeschooler too. We moved to rural Mexico, and there just aren’t really any other viable options. I have been enjoying it, but I am also a little daunted by how much work it is to do a good job. Like you said on the other thread, you have to actually teach stuff, and have a plan and goals and not just bake some cookies and call it math.

I was a public school teacher, as was/is my dad, brother, sister-in-law, several aunts, and cousins. I don’t have this big beef with the American education system (in functional school districts that are doing a good job, at least.) I have found the extreme reaction to things like common core standards alignment or even “textbooks” in the homeschool community to be a little mystifying. I know you can’t replicate a classroom experience in your home, and there are definitely aspects that are better not imitated, but it’s not like I’m aiming for the opposite of public school education.

I have a fourth grade boy who sounds a lot like your son. He spends all his screen time on Scratch (a site developed by MIT to teach young kids computer coding.) He asks a million questions I don’t know how to answer, and I’m constantly telling him to watch a Kahn Academy video about X. It is really amazing what curious kids can teach themselves if you point them in a direction.

Welcome to the forum!