Increased social issues with social distancing?

You haven’t figured it out.

The failure to make law(s) regarding wearing masks and social distancing, among other things – enforceable law and not merely recommendations.

It may, but I am not sure — as I don’t claim to be a constitutional scholar.

But two days ago I was driving through Wyoming and the speed limit was 80 mph. That was an appropriate speed limit for a sparsely populated area.

I have no reason to believe a one-speed-fits-all makes any sense.

There is no reason to think the same restriction is needed in:

1. the areas of NYC which already have herd immunity,

2. cities where the pandemic is running rampant, and

3. remote areas where there are no active cases.

one-size-fits-all only works on hats with Velcro bands, and those adjust!

You don’t recall the days of 55 mph nationally? You’re old enough. Yeah, it was a pain in Nebraska, and whether or not it actually addressed the problem at the time is another question. But national reckless driving laws might not be inappropriate, but that too is a separate question.

Conditional provisions can be written into federal laws, can they not?

1 Like

“Here’s a recommendation, take it of leave it” doesn’t cut it. Has it done well in Georgia? In Georgia where the governor overrode Atlanta’s mayor’s mandate, only to reverse himself?

I recall that, and I recall that South Carolina set the limit at 50.

But I don’t know that the law was challenged in the court to determine its constitutionality.

Whatever. It’s beside the point.

It is too early to tell, as I suspect we will hit herd immunity in a couple of months.

Herd immunity with COVID is hardly settled science. Flattening the curve and masks is.

Strange response, since you raised the topic.

Um, it was an analogy? You are having difficulties with them. The point is COVID, not national speed limits.

I don’t think so.

Really.

Do I need to spell out why that is a valid analogy? (Do you remember your reply?)

Dale, apparently you have missed the many, many posts in which I have stated that we should obey laws.

No, I haven’t.

You are totally missing the point that this is about public health, breathing free, if you will, safety on the streets. There should have been a national mandate, a law with teeth, half a year ago. A law for you to obey.

And please don’t bring up one size fits all, or not, again. One size fits all, except some complain more. :grin: Family joke, but maybe it has application here. I would suffer terribly, oh dear, if a thoughtless law without provisions required that I wear a mask when I am in the presence of others not domiciled with me. And even at home, wearing a mask is turning out to be a good idea, since so much transmission occurs there.

@Dale @03Cobra and anyone else. This is not the personal freedoms thread that we will not bother discussing ad nauseum again…

If anyone wants to discuss social issues in this thread, please do so. Otherwise keep this chatter to PMs.

1 Like

It’s a public health thread.

@pevaquark
These posts don’t seem off-topic to me, so your reprimand has me confused.

The title says “social issues.”

If you want you can go reread the 500 posts from this thread. The last 30 posts are so are the same as that thread:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.