Important Clarification: Science of "TOE" vs. Metaphysics of the Eucharist?

Why on earth would I doubt it? I don’t see why I should have to defend proposals I’ve never made.

Joshua

Thanks for this, which echoes the points I was making. BioLogos itself in its official literature used the “common descent” definition, which ought to be pretty non-controversial.

The problem surely is that there’s no official body to insist that this definition is universally used, for example in school textbooks (see this piece on Larry Moran’s blog - I’m amused to see my example of “change in gene frequency” cited verbatim!). If kids are taught the wrong definition, and there are influential people shifting definitions for rhetorical purposes, there may as well not be a correct definition.

Your dissent with ID proposals is an interesting parallel to this, perhaps, because the Discovery lot’s definition of ID runs:

The theory of intelligent design holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection.

Just as there’s no specific theory inherent in “common descent” (as Lamarck and Bergson would be pleased to hear!), so there’s no mention of scientific proof, or even any specific concept of design beyond “intelligent cause”. In fact, the most contentious point, for a TE, is whether “natural selection” is actually undirected. If not, then omitting “such as natural selection” might make it part of an EC definition. If NS is undirected, then there’s some metaphysical heavy lifting to be done to explain what the “creation” in “evolutionary creation” means.

We’d all agree on this - but on the other thread, you cautioned me against “monkeying” with the presuppositions of science because it is a hot button for scientists. I know of a good number of prominent biologists for whom the very suggestion that evolution might be governed by God is anathema.

They would say it’s a complete subversion of the main strength of Darwin’s theory, which needs no god. I’m told that that’s sufficient to prevent a believer getting a job in Oxbridge, so its scarcely just a matter of agreeing to differ.

In fact the million dollar ambiguity carries right over into our grammar in that very sentence! It could be either: that the theory needs there to be no guiding God; or on the other hand: the theory doesn’t happen to need God (but is indifferent on the matter).

People are digging their respective trenches over the difference buried in that sentence!

I stand corrected. Maybe eventually I will grasp the core of what exactly you two are disputing.

@Jon_Garvey

I do find it strange that this is something worth discussing.

If GOD is part of the process of evolution - - then it is IMPOSSIBLE for natural section to be undirected - - for natural selection is one of the key elements of the evolutionary process.

People who question any part of this equation are just spoiling for an argument.

@Swamidass

Hold on a second… are you trying to develop a “new and improved” definition of Evolution?

Instead of defining Evolution as a “Godless process effected by natural laws alone”… you want to define it as “the process where humans can be shown to share common descent with other animals on the Earth”?

Am I using your terms as you would use them? Could you confirm that this is your intended approach?

Thanks!

And…

This comes up so frequently that I will be writing a blog post about it soon.

To be very clear, I am not at all monkeying with the definition of evolution. Rather, I am being precise about the most historically and scientifically correct and consistent definition. As I have explained previously…

And also…

To this I would add, WITHIN science we only scientifically consider naturalistic explanations. OUTSIDE science we are free to extrapolate this to purely naturalistic evolution (atheism) or God-directed evolution (theism). This is one place where ID runs afoul of the rules. They insist on making the theism inference, within science.

Evolution itself is God neutral, and within the context of the origins debate (which is outside science) the correct and precise way to describe evolution is just common descent.

This is not acceptable, and this is one reason why careful use of the term “science” is warranted.

2 Likes

@Swamidass,

Much as i would like to JOIN you in simplification of the terminology … i fear you are just going to drive Creationists towards a THREE STEP terminology instead of two. What do I mean by that? I mean that eventually we are going to be reading posts that say this:

“Are you saying that you hold to Common Descent WITHOUT God?.. or are you saying you hold to Common Descent WITH God’s involvment?”

The issue is with/without God (!) … not whether its common descent or no common descent.

Though, if your approach can be used to get MORE I.D. folks to agree to use Common Descent terminology, it would be great! And even if all we did was push ID folks into a corner (forcing them to REJECT the terminology of common descent) it would be well worth the effort!!!

[quote=“Christy, post:18, topic:5252”]
This is an example of where you pick apart people’s word choices and demand justification. It’s obnoxious. Were you honestly confused by anything Jon said?[/quote]
Hello Christy,

What makes you think that I was confused?

I’m pointing out that Jon’s rhetoric is clearly designed to confuse laypeople–more specifically, trivializing vast amounts of science as mere philosophy, just an “-ism.” Moreover, he’s doing so in the context of accusing others of being deceitful!

[quote]It’s antagonistic, and it very rarely accomplishes anything in a discussion.
[/quote]The thread is about clarifying the acronym, is it not?

1 Like

It’s the latter–by definition. No other scientific theories need or don’t need God, do they?

2 Likes

[quote=“Swamidass, post:20, topic:5252”]
Which is why the fixed consistent definition of “common descent,” I believe, is so important. This is especially true because this framing is accepted within the scientific community. Evolution (in biology) is not really “change over time;” no, it is “common descent” of life to a single or a few progenitors.[/quote]
Hello Swamidass,

I think you’re missing an important distinction here. Jon was objecting to the description of evolution as a FACT. The only unequivocally factual definition is the change in allele frequencies in populations over time, if we view facts as directly observable without interpretation.

Common descent is a conclusion supported by an incredible amount of evidence, but it’s not the fact of evolution.

I think it’s most clear to segregate these: change in allele frequency is a fact (directly observable), while the theory of evolution includes not only common descent (not directly observable) and all of the mechanisms that produced both of these phenomena, both Darwinian and non-Darwinian. In this context, “Darwinism” is an obfuscation, particularly when aimed at laypeople.

I agree. The former is a fact, while the latter is a conclusion.

[quote]I avoid this fair critique of obfuscation entirely by use the more correct term: common descent.[/quote]Correct as theory, yes; as fact, no.

In the process of doing something else, while no one in the ID movement seems to be able to conceive and/or perform an empirical test of an ID hypothesis. :wink:

[quote]All this is to say there is very good reason to insist on the correct definition of evolution: common descent.
[/quote]Yes, but only as long as we are careful not to conflate that conclusion with the fact of evolution.

1 Like

Now that’s an interesting point.

The T…o.E. as a science discussion doesn’t need God.

But BioLogos is teaching something more special than just a principle of science. What it’s proposing something more akin to the metaphysics of COMMUNION!

Don’t you think?

[I’m going to adjust the thread title to reflect this…]

Yes, I do. :grin:

Kidding aside, I agree. What Biologos is doing is infinitely more intellectually honest than trying to pass off ID as science.

1 Like

@Swamidass
@benkirk
@Jon_Garvey

To reduce the theory of evolution to common descent may be theoretically possible, but a big mistake.

It would mean reducing Darwin’s Theory to only Variation without Natural Selection. That would make it much simpler, but without its explanatory power.

It seems to me what many scientists have been trying to do for a good while They want a theory that in some sense describes, but does not explain and then want to say that description equals explanation. THIS MUST NOT BE ALLOWED.

To use this short cut to solve the evolution problem would be like performing a “successful” operation that killed the patient.

Theories of evolution, Roger.

1. The core theory is descent with modification. That is ‘evolution’
  2. A second, core component is the relatedness of life. That is ‘evolution of life on earth’ or ‘common descent’.
  3. Other theories include the modes / mechanisms of evolutionary decent. That covers the modern synthesis, and later mechanistic theories.

This is a bit simplistic but…
Common descent is what typically sets the stage for further research into the origins (and future) or life on earth. The drivers and mechanisms behind evolution are like ‘plug-ins’ or complementary theories.

@Argon

If we go by what you say, then what are we going to call Darwin’s theory, because according to his view it covers more than evolution? Darwin’s Theory of What?

Darwin’s Theory of What?

Evolution by means of natural selection. It is in the title of his book: On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life

Darwin combined common descent with the mechanism of natural selection. That is generally what is meant by ‘Darwinian theory’.

See also ‘Darwinism’. Later, there was the Modern Synthesis and Neo-Darwinism.

1 Like

This is a (lengthy) quote made by Ruse, that speaks for itself, and the book was published in 2009:

“I am an ardent Darwinian. I believe that life evolved and that the all-important mechanism was natural selection. More organisms are born than can survive and reproduce, this leads to a struggle for existence, and only some succeed in passing on their bloodlines to future generations. Those that do succeed tend to have features different from the losers, it is these differences that make for success, and so over time there is heritable change (evolution) and this is in the direction of help-conferring characteristics, or adaptations. With John Maynard Smith and Richard Dawkins, I believe that selection produces this, the most interesting feature of the organic world, that which most calls for explanation, namely the design-like
nature of this world – its adaptedness or “organized complexity”.Natural selection (and only natural selection, including here sub-forms like sexual selection) speaks to this feature.”

I want to draw reader’s attention to >>>>> natural selection, and ONLY NATURAL SELECTION, speaks to the feature of heritable change or evolution.

Perhaps on a somewhat humorous note, I have read today that giraffes did not get long necks because this made them fitter to survive (they could eat at areas others could not), but instead, their long necks have a lot to do with how sexy males become to females - go figure the wonders of the modern synthesis :smiling_imp:

HOORAY!!! I don’t see anything in the squabbles above that would direct a young Christian student beginning a career in science to hold on to his/her Faith and to try to reconcile the two.
Al Leo