ID Censors Their Own

@Jay313

The plight of the ID proponent is:

1. He feels that some biological solutions are so perfect, it has to be God’s work.

2. But he is Unwilling to admit that all the other biological solutions that are sub-par, less than perfect or glorious, are good reasons to see God REJECTING a consistent approach to Perfect Creation - - which is consistent with an evolutionary view for the Earth in general.

Ideally, ID proponents should all be BioLogos supporters!

But most ID’s can’t stomach admitting that the Earth is billions of years old.

1 Like

@Swamidass

Aren’t all Creationists “Vitalists”?

Yep, they can’t even bring themselves to acknowledge the age of the earth. That alone shows they are not doing science.

1 Like

@Jonathan_Burke, ah!, maybe this is the simplest explanation for the conflict that dominates much of @Eddie 's conversation on these boards!

I believe he thinks that BioLogos should honor ID discussions more … but it is really the ID discussions that should be honoring Biologos more.

We specify that the Biblical God is the creator … and we specify that God’s participation in creation involves millions of years - - while ID proponents seem to think we should be impressed with their more general and maddeningly more vague discussions … with apparently just one thing in mind: that there is a creator - - but they just don’t know what kind of creator it is or how long the creator took to create.

If BioLogos were to drift towards ID narrative, it looks like it would be a giant step backward!

1 Like

Exactly. ID should be taking regular non-ID scientists more seriously, since they’re the ones actually doing real science and making discoveries and achievements as a result. In contrast, ID scientists are making as much progress in science as Ken Ham.

Indeed. Back to a pre-Galileo era.

3 Likes

I really do appreciate the effort @deliberateresult, so I really am taking this seriously.

The most reasonable causal explanation is that God (not an unnamed designer) created us. The evidence I have for this is…

1. the profound fine tuning of the cosmos that is required for evolution to be able to operate.
  2. the stunning fact that, even if it is true (as I believe) that evolution could produce the human mind.

I want to point out that both these points are within the range of acceptable scientific consensus, so this is not an argument about data, but a recognition of a pointer to something grander than science. This also is scientific “evidence” in the best sense; it is largely undisputed. Moreover, it does not depend on evolution being wrong. Rather, it calls attention to the fact that if evolution produced us, the main question is left unanswered. Who created evolution? So the theology here seems more stable and, I’ve been told by theologians, is more correct.

Is this a bridge between us? I hope so?

2 Likes

@Eddie

I was eating out of your hands… until you said this:

“…that design can’t be seen in nature except through the eyes of faith,…”

“seen” is an equivocable term … if by “seen” you mean “proved” - - buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - - game over !!!

If by “seen” you mean “the appearance” - - I’m still eating out of your hands… unless of course you left out the “millions of years” part on purpose - - then you lost me again…

I think you could make a stronger case for design if you focused on empirical testing of ID hypotheses. That is how real science progresses.

1 Like

The whole ID position is not science at all. ID proponents are responsible for holding their hypotheses up to scientific scrutiny–in science, that means empirical testing of hypotheses, not debate.

When will that start, Eddie?

1 Like

[quote=“deliberateresult, post:55, topic:5625”]
While I both appreciate and share your your positions on the universe and the Resurrection, the issue here specifically concerns the evidence for life.[/quote]
I’m not seeing that you’re interested in the evidence when you’re devoting so much effort to arguing that metaphors should be taken literally.

[quote]So again, as the most reasonable causal explanation for the origin and evolution of life, what specific evidence do you cite?
[/quote]I can’t answer for Swamidass, but as the most reasonable explanation for an “RNA World” that preceded modern life, I cite the evidence that peptidyl transferase is a ribozyme.

Shall we consider evidence or words? Have you ever considered this important piece of evidence?

1 Like

@Eddie,

This is not an un-justified double-standard. Using evidence from science to “prove” God’s existence is a notoriously bad idea.

“Inferred” is a good word !

Please enlighten me. I am wallowing in ignorance over here!

thanks Eddie!

I think it can be. I am very grateful that you are taking this seriously. As for me, I am really trying to understand your position more precisely because I remain confident that there is an important area of agreement that we have not reached yet. So when you talk about “the fine tuning of the cosmos that is required for evolution to be able to operate,” can you clarify for me whether you are talking about cosmic evolution, biological evolution, or both?

Thanks.

demonstrably so. My entire argument here has been that ID offers the best causal explanation; to wit, all known life is maintained by advanced data processing systems which prescribe technologically brilliant molecular machinery. The only known cause of both is intelligent agency

what are racketing mechanisms if not machines?

Do you believe that origin of life science can properly be called science?

Forgive me for being guilty of the courtesy of responding to challenges from you, Jay and others, which have lately focused almost exclusively on whether genetic code is code by definition or analogy. If you prefer that I ignore you, I will be happy to oblige. [quote=“benkirk, post:73, topic:5625”]
I can’t answer for Swamidass, but as the most reasonable explanation for an “RNA World” that preceded modern life, I cite the evidence that peptidyl transferase is a ribozyme.
[/quote]

no, peptidyl transferase is an enzyme which functions in the rybozome. But if you are claiming that the “RNA World” hypothesis is a better causal explanation for the origin of life, we could have that conversation.