I get interviewed and talk about my favorite topic, metaphors in the Bible

I didn’t see a post to Christy’s paper itself. So for those interested I think it is here: https://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2019/PSCF12-19Hemphill.pdf

Well worth studying!

2 Likes

Thanks! I had been thinking to ask but didn’t get around to it.

@Christy Christy, thanks so much for sharing this interview. I finally had time to hear the whole thing today, and found it interesting and helpful. I did love my linguistics class, and this was an enjoyable reminder.
I found your discussion of the collaborative nature of language very useful. Definitely a conceptual improvement over the old “packet” model.
I was also really impressed at your skills as an interviewee. I’m terrible. I can talk your leg off in conversation, and I can control where my part is going, but when it feels formal, and I have to rely on a partner who will ask me things, I’m terrible.
Great work!

1 Like

Thanks, Kendel! I’m scared to listen to it myself. Every time I listen to recordings of myself, I cannot believe how “Chicago” I sound, and I always wish I could add something or change something. Writing is definitely a better medium for us perfectionistic types. I asked Zach to work some editing magic and make me sound more clever and charming than I really am, so he must have come through. :wink:

3 Likes

This seems like what we were talking about with the question of whether there can be an infinite number of things.

Recently, I revisited Sproul’s lectures on the analogical use of language, and now am wondering where metaphor fits in with univocal, equivocal, and analogical language.

Whatever Chicago sounds like, it sounds fine to Michigan. Some of my best friends have been from Chicago. You get a pass.
He didn’t need to do much to make you sound clever and charming. You did a fantastic job all on your own.
: )

1 Like

How many metaphors of salvation are there? So many that they can be classified by category:

1. Deliverance
  2. Renewal
  3. Family
  4. Cultic
  5. Legal

Metaphors usually come into play when the subject is complex and can be viewed from more than one angle. The underlying reality is there, but it can’t be adequately described in one term, so it’s described from many different perspectives using different analogies. Put them all together and we can approximate the reality, but that’s the best we can do. Some things can’t be put into simple propositions.

It’s not much different than what Wittgenstein said in his preface to the Tractatus:

The book will, therefore, draw a limit to thinking, or rather—not to thinking, but to the expression of thoughts; for, in order to draw a limit to thinking we should have to be able to think both sides of this limit (we should therefore have to be able to think what cannot be thought). The limit can, therefore, only be drawn in language and what lies on the other side of the limit will be simply nonsense.

3 Likes

I usually end up sounding a bit nasal and semi-Australian (on not-as-good microphones). On good microphones I sound about how I would expect.

2 Likes

Alright, I’ll start blaming the microphone. Also, I realized that the “touch up my appearance” feature on Zoom that I have been using these two years definitely gives you a false sense of security. When someone uses unfiltered camera software, it’s a rude awakening to the reality of the situation.

2 Likes

You looked and sounded just fine. Remember we’ve never seen your Glamour Shots.

1 Like

The quote from Wittgenstein caught my attention. I’ve heard about his lectures and was curious if you could tell me where he draws the limit.

1 Like

So are “they” who made 7 days work week conceptual metaphor? Is this implying Genesis wasn’t penned by Moses but post exile folk?

I don’t know what you mean by composers being a metaphor. Whoever composed the Genesis texts and/or the oral traditions that Genesis may have appropriated in some ways was historical. I do not think the form of Genesis that we have was “authored” (in our modern sense) wholesale by Moses and neither do most scholars. There are many elements of Genesis that presume the audience was familiar with Jewish law and religious practice, the six-day work week plus Sabbath being one of those practices. That doesn’t mean it was created out of nothing during the exile either. I believe it is a text that developed over time under the guidance of God’s spirit.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.