I do believe a higher being might exist. However, I think God (in the traditional monotheistic sense) is either the weakest god in the cosmos or the cruelest one. I don’t know how to sum up my experience in words but I thought I’d ask anyway

I have learned today that in Islam, Hell is not eternal and this is loads better than what Christianity teaches. I get what Christians are saying about the need for accountability but the Bible presents us with a picture of God who is not fair. He actually makes things worse.

For instance, he ordered death penalty for breaking the Sabbath. Numbers 15 has a story of a man who was gathering sticks on a Saturday and ended up paying with his life for breaking this law. On the other hand, God tells Moses that the Israelite army should kill men, women AND children of the enemy but they can keep the virgins for themselves. This God also ordains slavery and places it above the institution of marriage. Exodus 21 says that Israelites should not be slaves for more than 7 years and that they should be released, however, if their master gave them a wife and they had children while in slavery, the enslaved Israelite should go out by himself, leave the wife and kids to the master as they belong to master.

So, this is this God’s justice. And what do we find in the New Testament? We learn that this God has a “just” solution for sins. Eternal torture (I realize not all Christians believe in Hell, but this is a mainstream Christian doctrine) for all non-believers. Torture that never stops. Trillions of years pass by but your torture is just beginning. Is this a just punishment? Or perhaps a better system would be for this God to create appropriate punishment depending on the crime. Serial killers, rapists, people who exceeded speed limit once in their lives, etc… should not get the same torture, should they? How is this fair?

And, get this. A nazi soldier who is a believer in Jesus dies and goes to haven, all sins forgiven, while their Jewish victims get transferred from one oven to the eternal fire pit. How is it possible that a loving being, MOST loving being resorts to tortures and punishments that are done by the worst of humans?

2 Likes

Yes, it is remarkable that the God of Islam is more merciful than the God of much - virtually all Protestantism - Christianity. I like Him more and more. At worst He is annihilationist, after ages in Hell, which is worse than Christian annihilationism but not American justice. And yes, the Holocaust Jews burn twice and their Christian murderers get to watch twice, second time for forever, with righteous glee.

How does anyone choose to love God before themselves?

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.