I am having trouble believing

No, that would be scientifically incorrect as it had a beginning. A very fuzzy one admittedly. 13.8 gya. But the cosmos is obviously eternal. And therefore infinite in space as well as time. The implications of that fact are too much even for brilliant atheists. However the universe is practically eternal and practically infinite from our microcosmic perspective. It teems with people just like us. The cosmos teems with universes. Always has. God does not change.

There is always a question in my mind when anyone says ā€œuniverseā€ whether they have in mind the cosmos or just everything associated with the big bang. There may be something that is eternal but the most we can ever directly observe is within the bubble of our big bang. If anything is eternal it is somewhere higher up the food chain than that. Most likely a debate whose resolution is beyond our grasp.

It sort of makes me think about the reference to being caught up into the third heaven stuff.

@Klax is speaking for himself, obviously.

Never heard of more than one heaven so I googled it.

How many heavens are there according to Bible?

three heavens

The Bible speaks about three heavens . The first being the earthā€™s immediate atmosphere. The second is the universe. The third is where the throne of God is with all its angels and saints.

If the cosmos is more extensive than this big bang event, I never would have thought the extra would have been made up of a heavenly host. But since we have no means to peer beyond that veil I suppose one wild guess is as good as another ā€¦ and some have historically longer roots. Still, unverifiable is unverifiable.

No Iā€™m speaking for reason.

Most people think of the finite universe as the cosmos. But it ainā€™t. The cosmos is the all. The eternal, infinite (material) all.

I wonā€™t ask you to convince me. :grin:

There is nothing wrong with having doubts, just ask St. Thomas. What matters is that you find value in your belief, something important to you that you want to keep regardless of what those other schmucks say (:wink: ). Donā€™t over-analyze, but try to feel your way through, and you will be OK.

1 Like

what do those words mean, specifically?

Aka righteousness. Equality of outcome for all.

Still not clear. Everyone in the world gets western middle class of living?

For nearly three years i have been into searching for good answers on my questions about the bible.Some scholars have provided them.Others here have also provided them.The arguments in those books are not new i assume. So most of those have been answered.Dont lose faith friend as we most havent.Cheers

1 Like

No way, thatā€™s decadent, irresponsible, immoral and unsustainable, thatā€™s why there isnā€™t righteousness.

I dont think universal social justice transalates to righteousnessā€¦I dont even think theres such thing as universal social justice

Not the Father or Jesus promise that in this life or the one to come. Sin has different payment now and later, than righteousness does. The Father disciplines individuals differently for their good, so in this life outcomes are different.

Equal outcome is poorly specified. e.g. nuking the world gives everyone an equal outcome

How about John Polkinghirne and Aliser McGrath would they be people you would recommend?

1 Like

I canā€™t tell if you are being sarcastic or not?

Absolutely! (with apologies for jumping in when I know you asked Martin - but let me give you an unqualified ā€˜yes!ā€™). And with no sarcasm whatsoever.

3 Likes