Humor in Science and Theology

You are right about the need for published experiments, which would expose both the methods, results and conclusions to scrutiny by others, and allow others, even skeptics like me, to replicate the experiment as well as the results. And debate the conclusions.

Every other aspect of the process needs to be explored and tested as well, including the belief that like cures like. All with proper control groups in place. If Hahnemann and his colleagues were the only ones to do it right, then there is something fishy going on. Requiring Aberglaube.

3 Likes

he got the conclusions of his experiments wrong but he observed effects that need to be explained to stop the snakeoil peddling of todays homeopathy industry. Its a bit like debunking Christianity to me and the “aberglaube” that came from it. It gives you an “AHA” effect that allows you to live in harmony between your intellect and reality and is deeply satisfying and setting you free.

The understanding of the effect observed -but not understood- by Hahnemann came to me when trying to measure nanoparticles. After having accidentially dropped a tube I could not find my particles any more due to the number of microbubbles I had created interfering with my measurements. Those mirocavitations do not fuse and are very stable but can grow and fuse to bubbles large enough to gain buoyancy when their contact angle is changed by the integration of hydrophobic molecules accumulating in their boundary so they can move to the surface. As such the effect of dilution ad absurdum could be debunked. .

The idea of curing like with like by revoking the bodies response to be able to withstand a stress is independent of that and came from his support of vaccination he understood to be a fundamental concept.

1 Like

The proof is in the testing.

1 Like

Saw this earlier online.

My mother in law started reading the book, “The Exorcist” and she felt it was such an evil demonic book that she drove to the ocean and thew it into the water. So I bought a copy a few days later and ran it under the sink for a minute and sat it on her bed stand.

5 Likes

New Lego release today:

5 Likes

Cute. I know there are some people who’ve dedicated themselves to making Dante’s Inferno models using LEGOs; this may be the most interesting:

1 Like

4 Likes

My guardian angel watching me fall into sin for the 500th time this week

2 Likes

This may be a merv-original - got the idea after helping a student think through a problem of how many paths one can navigate through a grid …

(Also what happens when I have tests I should be grading …)

5 Likes

Very nice! Reminds me of some of the Far Side comics about cavemen.

1 Like

Oh yeah … Definitely stealing the Far side theme. Its a riff off of a far side …well … I bet I can find it to show…

1 Like

4 Likes

4 Likes

I’ve already had to explain mine to somebody … so maybe it’s not easy to get for some? … was just thinking to myself what a 2x2 tic-tac-toe grid would be like to play - first one to get two in a row. It’s pretty important who goes first there, and then I thought …well why start out so complicated as a 2x2?

5 Likes

5 Likes

Reminded of this at a campground I went to while back.

It’s not a rule, just a fact post lol.

4 Likes

Similar to this sign in eastern Colorado:

This is the lake:

2 Likes

Went to the fruit bowl only to find Schrodinger’s banana: both green and overripe.
IMG_0360

5 Likes

5 Likes

One year for my birthday my sister got me a stuffed animal, a pig. She had put a name tag on it that said “Sir Francis”.

3 Likes