Humor in Science and Theology

In tribute and honor of Nurses’ Week
Nurse’s Week Gifts - YouTube

1 Like

That was magnificent in every possible way. Reflects the disregard for people whose work is absolutely essential. Reflects the utterly pathetic nature of canned workplace climate-improvement “activities.” Reflects the way we try to empty, stupid Ersätze (substitutes) we attempt to use, rather than actually addressing the real problems for real.

11 Likes

And there was evening, and there was morning, a little bit more than a day.

5 Likes

Makes me wonder how much hilarity could be stirred up by telling people about the sidereal day. “24 hours is a LIE!!!”

2 Likes

That exchange lived up to its caption … until the very last response which suddenly turned hopelessly idealistic.

A more realistic last retort: Well, that is what your so-called “math” narrative feeds you anyway! I bet math teachers everywhere make bucket loads of money so long as they’re willing to push that.

4 Likes

Sure it can be done in a day: just drive west the whole time. That adds enough time, provided continuously going straight west and an average latitude >35.33 degrees.

5 Likes

Are you sure we don’t need four decimal places? :grin: But then I’m sure you rounded to cover it.

1 Like

Do you have more information about this? What was the hospital name and where was it, and what was the name of the director? In general, BioLogos strongly supports the idea of demon possession.

I think this would go better in a different thread. So–

https://discourse.biologos.org/t/demon-possession-and-theism-atheism/51429

Literally, that’s a night!

Which fits with the polemical purpose of the first Genesis Creation account: in most of the ANE nighttime, being darkness, was the enemy of the gods and they had to spend every night fighting to make sure the sun could rise again unimpeded; but in the Genesis writer’s version, night is just another servant of YHWH-Elohim.

3 Likes

Where did your new thread go? I was about to weigh in. Is there a new ad-hoc rule?

A very nice man taught me a “dad” joke of a medical flavor yesterday:

“I just learned the Italian name for colonoscopy! ‘innuendo’!”

3 Likes

I have to revive this after that:

6 Likes

This is from Kierkegaard’s piece, “Repetition:”

I shall not dwell any longer on such examples but shall proceed to speak a little of the investigative journey I made to test the possibility and meaning of repetition. Without anyone’s knowing about it (lest any gossip render me incapable of the experiment and in another way weary of repetition), I went by steamship to Stralsund and took a seat in the Schnellpost [express coach] to Berlin. The learned disagree on which seat is the most comfortable in a stagecoach; in my Ansicht [opinion], they are all wretched, the whole lot. Last time I had an end seat forward inside the carriage (some regard this as the big prize) and after thirty-six hours was so jounced together with those sitting next to me that when I arrived in Hamburg I had lost not only my mind but my legs as well. During those thirty-six hours, we six people sitting inside the carriage were so worked together into one body that I got a notion of what happened to the Wise Men of Gotham, who after having sat together a long time could not recognize their own legs. Hoping at least to remain a limb on a lesser body, I chose a seat in the forward compartment. That was a change. Everything, however, repeated itself. The postilion blew his horn. I shut my eyes, surrendered to despair, and thought the thoughts I usually think on such occasions: God knows if you can endure it, if you actually will get to Berlin, and in that case if you will ever be human again, able to disengage yourself in the singleness of isolation, or if you will carry a memory of your being a limb on a larger body

2 Likes

Hum. Does make you stop and think.

2 Likes

I took a break from thinking on this one and just had a good laugh.

I do think it’s fascinating to hear a then contemporary perspective on things like the state coach that don’t exist any more. What was normal life like for a person who had to travel and didn’t own their own means of getting around? The mundane aspects of life that don’t make it into novels are often the most interesting to me. What were people’s day to day lives like? You don’t learn what made people tick by learning about battle strategies and courtroom dealings. Those are the result of what makes people tick.

3 Likes

That narrows it down. Do you realize that an atheist who believes in demon possession is by definition not an atheist? It’s like claiming one is a vegetarian meat-eater.

If you don’t think BioLogos supports demon possession check out this thread from 2016

My own position is that angels and demons do exist, but there is no such thing as demon possession. The ancients attributed things like mental illness and epilepsy to demon possession because they didn’t know any better. But Jesus really did heal these people from what they were actually suffering from.

Simply believing in demon possession, witchcraft, and the like can cause terrible suffering. Just watch this very short video Report Decries Treatment of Mentally Ill in Ghana and see the terrible things people endure when there is inadequate care for the mentally ill. It’s just heartbreaking-- mentally ill folks are actually chained up in prayer camps!

9 Likes