Humor in Science and Theology

A LOT depends on the quality of the accordion.

The same is true of bagpipes.

How do you make two bagpipers play in tune?

Shoot one of them.

1 Like

Having known a couple of bagpipers who won regional (e.g. upper midwest U.S.) awards and heard them play together, I have to defend them. I also have to defend them since I have been present at drum-corps competition where instead of the regular marching band there were bagpipes, and as many as three dozen pipers were all playing in tune.

The real method to get two bagpipers to play in tune is to buy them top-notch bagpipes (one of the guys I mentioned, whom I shared a house with, had bagpipes that were worth more than our annual grad school tuition!!).

1 Like

to avoid the description of infectious routes via mouth and nose in contrast to the bodily outlet - a less provocative version

5 Likes

Best that they play outside as well.

This cartoon would be perfect over in the information Literacy thread!

1 Like

social media and keyboards are definitely the biggest threat to information literacy. I worry how AI screens the quality of the screened in literature and the info it reads on the internet

1 Like

Good question!

1 Like

Based on that, our family should be fine.

This one was written (by me, excluding the ideas for two of the jokes) too late for the book:

Beelzebufo?*^
Three demons like frogs** assemble the folk^^;
They’ll be cast in a pit belching smoke.
Their leadership’s sloppy
Soon they’ll be un-hoppy:
For when they are judged, they will croak.

*Revelation 16:13-16
^An actual genus of large frogs with enormous heads, from the Cretaceous of Madagascar.
**They’re toadally depraved.
^^Those who follow them will die from anuranism.

2 Likes

So do horses.

2 Likes

I might be mistaken, but there are some implications regarding YECism in that, right, @jammycakes?

3 Likes

This is even worse than Canis familiaris

7 Likes

Okay … so I guess that wasn’t really true then?! (still has me going even after the punchline is revealed).

-someone who doesn’t even know what a ‘cultivar’ is.

3 Likes

My kids grew up calling broccoli flowerlets “trees.” As I recall, someone had made a “landscape” themed vegi tray, and used them as trees in the landscape.

5 Likes

A cookbook with such a charming cover I almost bought it many times.

2 Likes

Cultivars are the plant equivalent to “breeds”. Cabbage, collards, kale, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, broccoli, cauliflower, broccolini, and similar plants are all the same species, but selectively bred for different things (big leaves, flavor, lots of flower heads, etc.).

5 Likes

This is a more scientific conclusion than some that I’ve heard:

5 Likes

Based on today, if anyone asks me “What did your first job teach you?”, depending on the questioner, I either definitely will or definitely will not include “Forcing open rat ribcages is harder than I would have guessed.”

6 Likes

I didn’t get the joke the cartoon was trying to make. Can somebody explain the joke to me? Having the joke explained ruins the humor, yes. But I’m curious.

3 Likes

So, all of these different vegetables were products of selective breeding from the same ancestor. Which was really surprising to me when I first learned that, because we think of them as totally different things now. So xkcd is joking about how many other (very different) plants could be surreptitiously added to that list before people start getting suspicious.

5 Likes