Humor in Science and Theology

And don’t forget tobogganing on their bellies, speaking of fun! :slightly_smiling_face:

For reference, the amount of energy this generates (before it overheats) is about the same as a wind turbine or a small diesel locomotive engine.

6 Likes

Dunno. That seems to have left out the cost of super-high-tech heat resistant materials, the cost of transportation and installation, not to mention 93 million miles (150 million km) of supercooled wire.

2 Likes

For best performance, install on surface of the sun per option B, using cryogenic superconducting wiring.

4 Likes

Just move to Venus. I’m sure there will be a cloud city there soon.

1 Like

I feel like this one could also belong in Celebrating Art, Literature, and Power of Imagination:

8 Likes

I’m looking for a cartoon that I may have seen here. It is a guy who posts an “if evolution is true why are there still monkeys?” type argument, and immediately astonished scientists show up at his door and whisk him away for a Nobel Prize.

EDIT: typo

2 Likes

If you find it, post it here. That would be a great one! (And I don’t recall seeing it here.)

1 Like

Found it!

9 Likes

July is one of my favorite months for that reason – lightning bugs and lightning storms. :slightly_smiling_face: I remember when the original Star Wars came out and the CGI were the big deal and impressive, we left the theater and drove home towards a big thunderstorm and the lighting was fantastic. In comparison Star Wars’ special effects were nothing!

3 Likes

I know a family of Hortons. :grin: Who?

2 Likes

I guess it’s been too long since folks have read Dr Seuss.

2 Likes

I used to end road trips by declaring, “Well, as the Whos said to Horton…”

A friend wanted to start a band called “Horton and the Whos”, but he said he couldn’t find a microphone small enough . . . .

3 Likes

I don’t remember. “That’s all she wrote”?

My favorite was Fox in Socks, at least to read to my kids. I don’t remember what mine was when I was a child. Looking at his bibliography and the dates, it very well could have been Horton Hears a Who.

2 Likes

Na, Fox in Socks doesn’t hold a candle to Green Eggs and Ham as far as our family is concerned. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m pretty solid on One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. The one with the little star gets me every time.

4 Likes

Ah yes - “The Star-Bellied Sneeches”
I think the classic “Cat in the Hat” may have been one of my gotos. Along with Bartholemew Cubbins and the 500 hats. The Butter Battle is also quite the preachy classic.

4 Likes

Dr. Seuss?
As a govermnent librarian, I rather prefer his Federal Document on malaria.

4 Likes

That’s so neat! Looking at the N American one, it appears they did have low level malaria in the South then, too (excluding the Appalachians).

@glipsnort has worked (may still be working) with malaria. It’s an awful disease. Right about now in West Africa is a peak season, as I recall.

1 Like

Oh yes, the US had malaria. Eliminating it took a major Federal campaign and keeping it eliminated requires ongoing work – in the last year, we’ve had local transmission in Florida and Texas. (And yes, I’m still working on malaria, mostly in Senegal. That is, the malaria is in Senegal – I’m in Massachusetts.)

3 Likes