How literal is literal?

By a spirit He is interpreted twice to mean ghost. This culture had believed in them for a thousand years and then ten. Like all others. Angels don’t manifest ethereally. The death angels accompanying YHWH under the terebinth oak trees of Mamre had lunch. The ones whom Lot protected manifested physically. Some have entertained angels unawares. Angels were never mistaken for ghosts. Nor Satan and his demons.

I’m reminded of C S Lewis’ musings on the significance of Genesis and the Fall. I will have to look up the exact quote, but he said something to the effect that its being allegorical would lose noting of its significance–that the duty to God of doing the right thing, which seemed unrelated to our own moral code with others at our level, was so deep, and such a mystery, that he still didn’t think he could plumb the significance of that, or of all the passage. I’d be interested in your thoughts.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.