How does inspiration work exactly?

Do you accept the Tanakh as well?

That makes sense to me. What matters for our humanity is not that we cross all the t’s and dot all i’s in the prescribed manner. Rather it is cultivating our capacity to open ourselves in relationship to others, to ourselves and to whatever that something more may be. I think that is central in the search for meaning in life.

Inspiration is equivalent to guided by the Holy Spirit. This works in presenting Christian teachings, AND understanding these. The Church also (guided by the Holy Spirit) agrees on that teaching.

This presents to some, I would guess, a complicated process, and negates individual judgement - but that is how it works. Christ gave apostolic authority to 12 apostles who were in agreement, even though they expressed themselves individually - something to reflect upon for Christians.

I propose that the church has not been guided by the spirit of truth since 4th century AD. In John we read.

Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. John 14:17

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. John 16:13

This was demonstrated when the spirit of truth appeared to Paul and taught him those things that Jesus did not have time to teach in His short life. These writings are included in the Bible. It was demonstrated when the spirit of truth came to John and revealed Heaven to him. This book is included in the Bible.

But Jesus did not put a time limit on His promise to send the spirit of truth. Why else did John tell us how to recognize the spirit of truth (1 John 4)? What church is practicing this? The only one that I am aware of claiming this is the “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” Yet, the “church” cannot “test the spirits” when they only appear to one person in a dream. This is not how the spirit of truth works according to the Bible. The spirit of truth wants to prove itself and does not hide in one person’s mind - that is a different type of spirit and not the inspiration that Jesus promised. The one He promised appeared so everyone could see (Pentecost) and not allowing some church leader to claim special privilege. The former is gone and the church is left with the latter…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.