How do Christians present the teleological argument for God's existence in an era where abiogenesis and evolution are so widely accepted?

In a more general sense, this parallels the Christian belief that no matter what happens it is part of God’s plan (without crossing over into full Calvinism).

2 Likes

That would assume the all or nothing principle of God’s involvement.

Certainly in terms of evolution TE leaves space for chance and diversification beyond the basic design. The idea that God is a God of minutia is not one I would promote or accept.

Richard

Good question. The particular design would have to be better than what natural selection could manage.

Now my mind is churning away at older models that could outperform today’s cars given modern innards . . . .

Something like that would be awesome to find!

Nice idea for a science fiction story, too.

They’d have to survive the competition game anyway. The one advantage would be that a design inserted into the system would be directly addressing a need, whereas evolution by itself would do its usual floundering thing in new circumstances.

1 Like

I think an equally prevalent view would be that whatever comes along, God will fit it into His plan.

Why? It is often the small change that goes unnoticed that changes the entire course of a natural phenomenon, or of a society.

On the other hand if what you mean is a continuous stream of minutia, I agree; that’s more like desparate juggling.

1 Like

tell me this, can you provide a human design that evolved by itself into something the designer intended? Do we have any examples of that in our reality?

I ask that because it appears to me that the only difference between me and God when it comes to evolution is that God initiated something from nothing, but once that happened, he became bound by and too the thing he created out of nothing. This isnt rational or logical to be honest…you are suggesting that a creator who is infinite and unbound has become a slave to his own creation…you are saying that if God created nuclear weapons, he is bound to the problem of disposal of and the effects of nuclear waste. That is highly problematic theology and im struggling for biblical evidence that might be used to support such a claim.

Sure – it’s called design by evolution and it’s done for car parts, machinery, and even furniture.

But that’s beside the point: with the universal constants as we have them, once the universe got going physics was going to turn things out as we see them, and with biology as it is, once life got going it was going to produce immense variety.

I have no idea how you’re making that up here.

But of course God is bound by the rules He set in motion; He isn’t fickle or whimsical, He stands by what He makes.

Of course He is, though I don’t know where the “weapons” notion came from; nuclear power is the natural one – I don’t think it’s possible to have a natural nuclear explosion.

1 Like

There’s been a natural nuclear reactor on earth, but no known natural nuclear explosions.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.