How Did the World Begin?

Not Ancient Hebrew. Modern Hebrew has many.

Of course some do. Some even have fingers.

3 Likes

:grin:

Anthropomorphisms are figurative.

And you donā€™t see any figurative language in this, the very first of the Psalms?:

Blessed is the man
    who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
or set foot on the path of sinners,
    or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the Law of the LORD,
    and on His law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    yielding its fruit in season,
whose leaf does not wither,
    and who prospers in all he does.

Not so the wicked!
    For they are like chaff driven off by the wind.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
    nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the LORD guards the path of the righteous,
    but the way of the wicked will perish.

1 Like

And of course, there are no anthropomorphisms or other word figures in this, either:

2 Likes

Below is metaphorical poetic text which simply explains how creation on Earth progresses. Christian poetry is the art of mystical expression, but perhaps Science has no use for this method of revelation!!
Or does it?
In the end academic rigour ALONE just ties itself up in knots!

Note: Pollarded trees are ones where the branches have been cut off, and just the stumps and trunks have been left. To me they look hideous.

In John 8:12 (ESV) Jesus said:

ā€œI am The Light of the world, whoever follows Me will never walk in darkness, but will have The Light of life.ā€

Light:

Sky blue shines through

As dark clouds gather

Bare trees pollarded

Stretch out with anguished fists

Raised high against their ravaged frame

The wind roared

Cold against my skin

And the rain poured in

Crying natureā€™s tears

Whipping at blushed cheeks

A Light shimmers

Spreading across the ground

Stirring life beneath the barren land

Waves of brightness everywhere

Bleach the blackness paler still

Then lighter the blazing patches grew

Where tired natureā€™s heart was broken through

Swallowing the darkness with itā€™s brilliant hue

Sparkling breezes move across

Earthā€™s face

Clinging firm and holding edges clear

Sharp like crystal

The breath of life this Silver Light

Sweeping over and between the land

As Godā€™s Consuming Fire of Love stands

Healing and renewing

Springing up and burgeoning through

While worn Earth a new Heaven grew

See Exodus 3:2 NKJV. (This is where Moses saw a burning bush).

ā€œAnd the Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed.ā€

The Church as Godā€™s dwelling place is also a burning thornbush, the Triune God burning within and upon a redeemed humanity (Luke 12:49: Acts 2:3-4). Through the burning of the Holy Divine Fire, the once cursed and redeemed thornbush is transformed to be Godā€™s dwelling place. (Reference: Holy Bible Recovery Version: Exodus chapter 3: Notes and Cross References section).

Jennie Starling: March 4th 2021.

2 Likes

So you read and speak ancient and modern Hebrew. You are a Hebrew philologist Ph.D. What have you published?

Language itself is figurative and abstract. The sound of saying ā€œtreeā€ is nothing like a tree. The written word ā€œtreeā€ is nothing like a tree.

3 Likes

Donā€™t bother posting to me again, Klax.

3 Likes

I was talking about abstract terms in the original Hebrew, not figurative language. If I said differently, that was a mistake.

Would not law, love and such ilk be ā€œabstractā€?

Letā€™s find out. Law in ancient Hebrew is Torah. Love is Ahav or Ahava. These are pretty short, especially the second article.

So you donā€™t think, besides words themselves being abstract, that Hebrew did not have words for abstract concepts. From your first link (and I am not going to spend any more time on this):

the Hebrew root word י×Øה( Y.R.H , Strongā€™s #3384 ), a verb which means ā€œto flow or throw somethingā€.

Both flow and throw are abstract concepts.

They are both physical things, one performed by water, the other by man. Abstract would be more like glory, majesty, frivolityā€¦ any attribute which canā€™t be perceived directly through our senses. In Ancient Hebrew, they are described in terms that can be seen, felt, etc.

Flow is not a physical thing. Something that is physical may flow, but flow itself is an abstract concept. Likewise throw.

2 Likes

Then donā€™t post at all.

How literal is YHWH?

Albert Einstein found it!

What if the universe began this morning and all our memories are implanted?
What if the earth was created 6000 years ago with fossils stuck in the ground by demons?
What if Santa has a workshop on the north pole and it is completely invisible?
What if you have a dragon in your garage which cannot affect you any more than you can affect it?

What do suppositions which are in no way measurable or experienced in any other way have anything to do with living in reality?

Yep!

Giving our imagination a workout has considerable value in many many ways. It doesnā€™t change reality but it might give our minds more of an ability to grasp many aspects of reality. It is not without good reason that it has been said, ā€œtruth is stranger than fiction.ā€

ā€¦ except that we can learn other languagesā€¦ and the language of science (mathematics) can greatly alter our understanding of reality.

As if ā€œrealityā€ denotes the same thing to the righteous and the wicked. Heaven is hell, if you donā€™t want to be there.

And maybe this place that looks like heaven to some people really is hell, and the people who live there just havenā€™t realized it yet. So people often say they would rather be in hell because the company is better. To be sure, they say this is because the self-righteous people they have met in church repel them. But it suggests to me that the real difference between heaven and hell is indeed the inhabitants rather than the scenery. The one thing you can never escape from is yourself ā€“ you will bring the seeds of hell inside you wherever you go. That is why I think this whole judgement thing is really about a willingness change rather than being put somewhere you like or dislike according to what you deserve.

So what I say is this: hell is where you find your heartā€™s desire, but heaven is where you will find Godā€™s desire for you. This is why I expect heaven to be the uncomfortable place to go, while the most comforting place is one which lets you keep your sins. It is the difference between going to the dentist and being in a pot of slowly boiling frogs.

1 Like

it is as if some people try to get out their chemistry kit to analyse the menu to find out what is on offer. I always loved John Lennoxā€™s story on that