How can Genesis be interpreted to agree with Theistic Evolution?

@Alice_Linsley, I’m not sure your summation of the Eastern view is quite right. Are you a member of an Eastern Orthodox community? My readings of writings, by rank or file of that community, tend to describe the situation as:

Ultimately, all humanity has inherited human nature from Adam/Eve… and that human nature includes the inevitable inclination to sin. Adam/Eve were the first to sin. Each of their offspring will eventually have their first sins, but they will be their own sins, and not the first sin of Adam/Eve.

I have 6 years of theological formation in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. I have given an accurate summation.

2 Likes

@Alice_Linsley, I don’t mean to sound “flip” . . . but it doesn’t read like anything I’ve ever read in Eastern Orthodox material.

Read this item I found for an earlier thread. How would you compare what you wrote to what this fellow, John Toews, wrote?

This might be helpful for you:

Also, several verses in Gen 1 say (paraphrase) “the land and sea gave forth plans and animals of many kinds”. That sounds very consistent with evolution to me.

A post was split to a new topic: What do you think of Sailhamer’s interpretation of Genesis: Historical Creationism

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.