Historical grammatical inerrant view of Hebrews 7:9-10

You didn’t answer why the woman’s seed matter if they’re just vessels (or fields to be sown on). Clearly The chosen heir could only have come through Sarah since the Abraham’s offspring from other wives were rejected.

And it does matter what “nachash” means. Adam Clarke, who was brought in first to decipher the Rosetta Stone, thought that the word referred to an ape, and several older Arabic translations have the word “baboon” or “ape” inserted insted of “snake” there. It could well have been some kind of hominid, who knows. Apes have 48 chromosomes and are our closest relatives so why not?

It’s just conjecture and has nothing to do with the Bible. There’s a reference in Leviticus 19:9 not to “mingle seed” since it becomes corrupted. You have Genesis 3:15 and Revelation 12:17, but i can provide many more examples. And btw, in the Septuagint and New Testament the word is “sperma” which is even more revealing.

The septuagint renders it as “sperma” which is even more explicit. You have Genesis 3:15 and Revelation 12:17 which explicitly mentions women having “seed” (sperma).

He’s only counted as coming from Adam since the Bible is patriarchal, but the seed of the woman clearly matters since Mary was also of the correct tribe. You also have Revelation 12:17.

And you seem to not know much about a Strong’s concordance or Gesenius either.

This is contradicted by Jacob and his family where the midwives children had the same status and were counted as being among the later tribes of Israel. Later we see the Shelahites (from Judah’s wife Shuah) do not get the same status as Tamar’s children by him either.

And you are just talking about translations, which aren’t considered inspired.

And the NT isn’t the OT which is what we are talking about.

LOL. Pretty sure St. Roymond doesn’t use Strong’s as he can read Hebrew

Very much so, since it can be rendered as “shining one”, a term used for heavenly beings.
It’s worth noting that Hebrew had at least three words to mean “serpent”.

There’s no actual foundation for such a rendition. I suspect it was a case of not knowing and grasping at something that seemed to fit.

Only if you’re projecting modern biological understanding into a word that meant no such thing. “σπέρμα” boils down to something cast about, used specifically mostly for grain; it is used of semen only by analogy.

1 Like

No it isn’t – it just means something that gets sown. To say it’s more specific is to cast modern biological understanding back into the text.

I agree with one of my grad school professors: Strong’s is a weak tool treasured by amateurs.

You have that relationship backwards: the Bible is patriarchal because of the ‘model’ of reproduction which viewed the male as providing a seed in the very same way that a stalk of grain provides seed.

Um, no it isn’t; it fits the pattern: other than the sons of the first wife, all the others had equal status, then Judah was recognized as first among them due to Jacob’s blessing (though Judah is already seen as a leader among them). The status of the wives, except for the first wife, had no bearing on the status of the sons.

1 Like

Depends who you ask – Paul treated the Septuagint as inspired; for that matter there are passages where it seems he did his own translation and presented that as inspired.

Strong’s is a clumsy and limited resource. Gesenius isn’t bad but is dated. I prefer BDB (Brown, Driver, Briggs) though it is also not up to date. K&B is mostly better than any of those (Koehler & Baumgartner’s Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament), and of course the Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament is best – and I now have access to all of these via Logos Bible software, which I got myself for Christmas (just the prices of current editions of the above lexicons/dictionaries adds up to more than the cost of the software version I chose) and am clumsily learning to use that.

Hebrew and ancient near eastern studies have come an immense way since I was in grad school; the information now available awes me but thanks to BioLogos I’ve been diving in to see what I can learn – everyone here manages to stretch me from time to time, for which I am grateful. One thing I’ve learned is to be cautious because apparently some things I learned in grad school are no longer considered correct!

[I also learned that my eyes no longer serve me to read my *Biblia Hebraica* even with my reading glasses <sigh>.]

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.