Hi. I’m new to Biologos and have a question

The data on Eden’s river was published last year in in 2019 in some conferences on the Eastern Mediterranean. there had been major natural gas discoveries over there about 10 years ago, and oil companies hold their information very close to the chest because it is valuable. Only when they think the geologic data has little value will they let it lose into conferences and papers. The authors being muslim didn’t realize the theological significance of what they had mapped, and I doubt a single prof from any theological seminary was even aware of these conferences.

Now, the implicit part of your question concerns the fact that few here read geological journals and frankly even fewer geologists are christians. The geologists who are Christians are quite happy with the Bible being historically false. At this point in time it is less of a question of why they don’t agree with that data than that they don’t know of the data. They were not looking!! I was. No OT scholar who studies the language and culture of Israel is going to know much geology and frankly is unlikely to recognized the importance of data from my field of expertise.

I have shown this to several geologists. 3 were amazed and 2 whom I know like the accommodationalist approach, went totally silent. They didn’t criticize what I had, they ceased commenting. Indeed one called me and we spoke about this data, but, he didn’t take any stand on it. He has spent lots of time going to seminaries taking about how we mustn’t take this part of the Bible literally. A change is going to be hard for my friend.

As I said in my first post in this thread, people come here for help with their biblical problems, like with the flood. The flood is a geological phenomenon, but doctors, missionaries, plumbers and everyone else gives their opinion on what they see, even when they have never dealt with this kind of data in their careers? . How many geology courses do you think are taught in seminary? My son went to seminary and had zero courses in geology. This is a big weakness in Christendom when only those who know the language are seen as experts in areas such as the Flood and the deposits it would leave and the physics that would control it. It is sad, but unless someone like me spends his life searching for evidence, like I did, none would be found.

I am writing my last book, and hoping the pain I had today won’t slow me down too much but I am going to throw this book to Amazon and let God determine the outcome about whether the book is good or bad., or the ideas are good or bad.

Always remember when you ask questions, does this guy know anything about the field? Don’t ask me how to remove your pancreas. I would say get a knife, dig around a bit until it quit hurting. I am sure doctors would do better than that. lol. John Walton, who cited my work in one of his books, thinks I am a nut and won’t respond to emails from me anymore. How am I to get my message out when our leaders are so closed to any new ideas?

We have had 200+ years of geological ‘leaders’ in Christianity do nothing but YEC (and I put leaders in quotes because they are not leaders or thinkers. They go along with the herd). Their lack of actually digging for solutions has made it look as if there are no solutions. and so everyone accepted that there are no solutions.

At the very least I am offering a solution to where Eden is and it is from brand new 2019 information. To my knowledge no one else offers anything except to tell you it is all historically false.But in the end, it is your decision what to believe. That God had a way to do this? or that these accounts are false. If God had a way and you don’t like mine, better get to hunting for a better way!

You will have to decide whether you believe this work (which was done by others, but those others missed the theological importance of their own work). Many of those who did the work were Muslim and the flood is not a biggie on their to-do list.

One thing of interest to me, I asked my very secular sister how this information got into the Bible–information no one could have known until at least 1970 and maybe not until last year. No neolithic could have known of this either. She surprised me by saying it had to be divine revelation. You too will have to take a position as well. Blind chance or divine revelation. It is your choice. I am just telling you that that the work I see out of these guys is top notch geophysics, showing fluvial deltaic sands where the Rivers of Eden were likely to be. I can’t prove Adam was down there, but that data does put a stop to our theological leaders saying with intellectual honesty that Eden HAS TO BE a never never land of fantasy.

2 Likes

Why though?Isnt the author that defended a historical adam in his book if i remember correctly?

I hope you provide some good arguments in your book mister gbob.As i said before i do believe adam and eve to be real.I will check it out

I will do my best not to let you down. It brings tears to my eyes to think that might happen. I don’t think he had thought about it in ages, and when I contacted him with the geological data, he commented that I knew good journals to get my data from. Then I gave him a bit more and he went silent He quit listening. That is my problem Nick. People don’t listen long enough to know that I know what I am talking about geologically. It is so frustrating to me to be nearly a solo geologist arguing my discipline in front of people who don’t know my discpline and are not inclined to be charitable enough to listen for a bit.

If you look at my resume, you would see that my employers thought rather highly of my abilites and promoted me to levels of high responsibility. But I was dealing with geoscientists there, Here I deal with laymen and language experts, who, as I point out, took no geology courses, so how could they know? It isn’t their fault.

When he quoted my flood, in the NIV application it was clear he didn’t like it but he did quote the correct timeframe for the flood at that time. If he didn’t like that, he could have cut it out entirely.

He said:

'Scientists have identified a number of different occasions during which massive flooding in the Near East occurred. These include a flooding of the Mediterranean and one of the black Sea. In a theory proposed by Glenn Morton, a variety of geologic data show that until 5.5 million years ago the Mediterranean was not a sea at all. The water was dammed up at Gibraltar. Morton’s evidence suggests a fairly sudden collapse, causing a break of more than 3000 feet deep and fifteen miles wide, filling the Mediterranean Basin in less than nine months.

'As the waters rushed in-easy to account for.
’ The Mediterranean Flood, p. 247-48

John H. Walton, Genesis: The NIV Application Commentary Series, (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2001) pp. 329-330

Nick, because it is you, I will put my resume out again. I did it once before because Pevaquark was questioning me like you. This was my career’s last resume and you will note that I ran two different companies for about 5 years, my consulting company and Geos-eyes, which was an invention my partner and I made and we got a decent amount of money off of it.

I do this also so that you will know that I do know what I am speaking of geologically!!!. Trouble is, most geologists have become accommodationalists.
This is not the resume of someone who doesn’t know geoscience–his work field of 47 years. I know how those guys made those maps and the sands are right where the Edenic sands should be at the right time.

It is sad to me that someone like Walton wouldn’t listen very long, and it disappoints me that you would use the judgement of someone who has never taken geology courses (Walton), to assess my value as a geoscientist. But then you have nothing to base your judgement on either so this isn’t your fault either. I want to scream so often because I am nearly the only evolutionary geoscientist who wants a real historical Bible, and I have to convince people who doubt I even know what I am talking about. Sometimes I think I should never have started this search years ago–I was happier back then.

Here is my resume on this list for the 2nd time trying to defend my expertise! As you read this, realize that big oil companies do not give $40 and $50 million dollar responsibilities to know-nothing geologists. Yes, my biggest seismic contract was for $50 million. It was not listed but was when I was manager of the Gulf of Mexico.

Glenn R. Morton

Address and phones deleted

Geophysicist: Proven oil finder with extensive management experience able to generate new trends and sell prospects, both domestically and internationally. Strong creative and leadership skills on line or in management. Able to work at all levels as needed. Excellent technical skills in acquisition, processing, potential fields and interpretation

Accomplishments

34 discoveries on 3 continents

3 patents pending—2 Petrophysical, 1 GTL

8 publications

Sold $40 million dollar international and domestic farm-outs for full carries.

Socially fluent in Chinese; Read some.

Experience

2010-present President Geos-Eyes, LLC .

Founded Geos-eyes with Danny Phillips. Invented new seismic inversion method which can analyze reservoir size layers for rock properties. Useful in geomodels and prospecting.

2007-present Glenn R. Morton, Geophysical Consulting .

Generating and mapping development and exploration opportunities. Building reservoir simulation geomodels on assets in GOM and offshore Canada (Hibernia/Terra Nova) for large independent oil company.

2005 –2007 Director of Exploration, Beijing China , Anadarko/Kerr-McGee China Petroleum Limited

Opened new Bohai play: CFD 22-2-1 was the first successful exploration well in China in 5 years

Funded program from outside,

Involved in government and contractor contract negotiations

Sold two prospect packages for over $30 of million, each

Worked closely with deputy minister level officials to achieve goals

2003 – 2005 Director of Technology , Kerr-McGee Oil and Gas Corp

Three patent applications: 1 in gas-to-liquids, 2 in petrophysics

Managed petrophysics, and reservoir simulation, Visualization,.

Integrated reservoir simulation G&G/Engineering processes

2000 – 2003 North Sea Geophysical Manager, Aberdeen Scotland , Kerr-McGee North Sea Limited

Significantly upgraded geophysical technologies used in exploration, negotiated contract

9 Discoveries: Tullich, S. Gryphon, Bluesky, Deep South 2, Deep South 3, Affleck, Plada, James, Dumbarton

Managed North Sea Reservoir simulation, well operations, and technology application

Saved 2% of total district costs by changing interpretive pkg.

On UK governmental geoscience data retention committee

1991-2000 Geophysical Manager, GOM, Oryx / Kerr-McGee

17 Discoveries: Conger, Boomvang, Nansen, Penn State, Penn State, Deep, Hi A 576, Gunnison, Durango, Red Hawke, GB 140/184, GB 152, HI A 553, Merganser, Pompano Subsalt, Horseshoe, Navaho, and Baldpate appraisal.

Invested budgets up to $24 million, negotiated contracts

Managed permit applications for drilling operations

1989-1991 South Texas Geophysicist – South Texas Geophysical Manager , Oryx Energy

Discoveries: Mickey Meadows, Starr Co. field( name forgotten)

1986-1989 Owner , Geophysical Consulting Company

6 Discoveries: North Carmine, Baby S., Namken, Banana Peel, Valentine Deep Pool, Cesare

Areas worked: Alaska, Algeria, W. Texas, New Mexico

1986 Manager of Marketing , Professional Geophysics Inc.

Doubled sales each month for Dallas office

1981-1986 Area Geophysicist, U.S. Atlantic Coast and Louisiana , ARCO

1979-1981 Manager of Geophysical Recruiting and Training , ARCO

Recruited 15% of U.S. geophysical graduates for ARCO

1973-1978 Seismic processor , ARCO, Pexcon and Seismograph Service Corp.

Education: B. S. in Physics, University of Oklahoma, 1972; Grad work in Philosophy

Publications of Glenn R. Morton: (Note, I didn’t list my creationist publications)

Prieto, Corine, and Morton, Glenn, (2003), “New Insights from a 3D Earth Model: Deep Water Region of Gulf of Mexico,” The Leading Edge, 22(2003):4, p. 356-360

Morton, G. R., Conway, Paul. and McHugo, Steve. (2002), “Reversing the Earth Filter: Thin-sand Detection Using Single Sensor Data,” Petrol. Expl. Soc. of Great Britain’s, PETEX 2002 Meeting Abstracts given in London, Dec. 10, 2002, CD from Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain, London.

Morton, G. R., Dobb, Angela., Conway, Paul. and McHugo, Steve. (2002), “Acquisition of High Frequency Seismic and its Implications for Reservoir Management of the Murchison field, U.K. North Sea–A Case Study,” 72nd Ann. Internatl. Mtg., Soc. Exploration Geophysicists Expanded Abstracts. p. 548-551.

Knighton, Terry, Steve Western, Glenn Morton and Robert Fleming (1999), “Development of Alternative Interpretation Models and Discriminating between Them Using a Borehole Gravity Survey and a Walkaway Checkshot Survey,” Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Technical Program, Expanded Abstracts with Authors’ Biographies, 69th Annual Meeting, Oct 31-Nov 5, 1999, Vol.1, p. 228-231.

Morton, Glenn; Schlirf, Paul; Chang, Mark; and Kriechbaum, Victor, “The History of Seismic in the Gulf of Mexico,” Presented to and published by the American Association of Petroleum Landmen, Jan. 22, 2004, Woodlands, Texas.

Morton, Glenn; Miller, Steve, 2005. “Knowledge Management via the use of Collaboration Tools in the Oil Industry,” The Energy Forum, Houston, Texas.

Simons, Gordon, Yao, Yi-Ching, and Morton, Glenn, 2003, “Global Markov Models for Eukaryote Nucleotide Data,” Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Volume 130, Issues 1-2, 1 March 2005, Pages 251-275

Simons, Gordon and Morton, Glenn, 2003 “The Gene-Orientation Structure of Eukaryotes,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, 222:4:471-475.

5 Likes

2 Peter is part of the standard New Testament Canon. But it probably wasn’t written by Peter himself. Let’s see what the HarperCollins Study Bible, by the Society of Biblical Literature, has to say about this book:

"The Second Letter of Peter is presented as Peter's testament; i.e., an account of Peter's teaching as he wished it to be remembered after his death (1;12-15). If Peter himself wrote it, he must have done so shortly before his martyrdom in Rome in 64/65 C.E. Most scholars, however, now believe it was written after Peter's death, with the writer following a literary convention of the time that allowed an author to atribute a "testament" to a great figure of the past. 2 Peter was probably sent from the church of Rome and therefore attributed to the apostle who had for a time played a role in the leadership of that church. By writing in Peter's name, the author was able to restate and defend Peter's teaching in a situation in which opponents were criticizing the apostolic message. He also expressed the normative value of the apostolic teaching for the period after the death of the apostles."

What–wrote it after his martyrdom? or before? :smile:
I always have trouble with that habit of assuming the identity of someone posthumously. The Book of Enoch, for example…

Not much I find of great importance in 2 Peter, anyway…
thanks.

1 Like

Sorry-- fixed.

1 Like

Here Nick, you look at the original articles with the original drawings. The Nahr Menashe sands are just before the flood.

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geology/article/47/2/171/568108/Discovery-of-vast-fluvial-deposits-provides

That map merely points to where the Pison would be. I used figure 2 to emphasized where the PIson was and you can find figure 2 in this article:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Vinicio_Manzi/publication/257405382_Evidence_of_Clastic_Evaporites_In_the_Canyons_of_the_Levant_Basin_Israel_Implications_For_the_Messinian_Salinity_Crisis/links/00b7d527769258b09b000000.pdf

I used Yossi Mart and William Ryan’s paper to be sure that the Afiq canyon was indeed draining Havilah (part of Arabia) View PDF

You can look up the Zanclean flood on Wiki–it is there regardless of my qualifications–Indeed, so is all this other data there regardless of my qualifications. All I did was recognize that those sediments in the eastern Med matched what was said in the Bible–That was no great intellectual jump so long as one believed, like I did, that the Zanclean flood (acknowledged by Wiki) could be said to be Noah’s flood (acknowledged only by me so far), and that the four corner rivers were due to the Edenic rivers.

I have given my reasons for calling the northern blue sediments as being from The Euphrates. The Euphrates starts to the west of the Tigris and flows straight towards the Mediterranean today–it gets within 62 miles of the Med before turning south today. Any river ruining along that course has to be part of the Euphrates. The Yellow Abu Madi Messinian sediments are those from the Gihon, so long as one agrees that the Nile is the Gihon. The Bible clearly says that Havilah is in Arabia and Mart and Ryan say at this time, the Afiq channel was draining that area. I didn’t say that, they did. And that leaves the Tigris in between. I showed a large 3 km or so wide channel entering the Med south of the Euphrates and north of the Pison. Since all I did was give names to these rivers, one can agree or disagree with that.

As to my anthro data, I once had about 500 anthro books and 3000 anthro articles in my house, all having been read all for the purpose of figureing out when Adam could have lived. If one doesn’t like what I have done, I am sorry, I have done my best given the education and experience the Lord gave me. And yes, it frustrates the Heck out of me that preachers and language scholars would not listen very long to hear out my case. Even criminals in this country are supposed to be able to present their case. Don’t get me wrong, the moderators here have been very kind to do that for me. It is the isolated academics who have not given me the chance. But my life seems to have been a test of that old childhood song, “Though none go with me, I still will follow”.

Im going to go do other things. Got a book to finish even if only my family reads it…

3 Likes

Thanks. It was a good explanation, by the way.

1 Like

2 Peter is not in the standard New Testament canon that I accept, the canon of the Church of the East.

The fact that no early church leader mentioned it until more than 100 years after Peter died does give evidence that it is a forgery.

I think calling it a forgery is a little harsh. I may have well been written by followers of Peter following his oral teachings and traditions. If you look at the Bible as a whole, outside of Luke?Acts and Paul’s undisputed letters, do we really know who first put ink on the paparus?

1 Like

Hello Christopher, Richard here.

Where does Jesus describe Adam as a real person? He never says the word, “Adam” in scripture. He does mention in Matthew 19:4 and Mark 10:6, respectively :

“Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator
 ‘made them male and female,’

“But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’

Not many people today take these 2 passages as references to Adam and Eve. In fact, no English translation that I know of translates the Hebrew as, “Adam and Eve”., but, “male and female”, as Jesus seems to site in the Mark verse.

2 Likes

@jpm
Phil, I don’t think forgery is too harsh of a word.

If people that were disciples of Peter had written it, then it would have been mentioned by some church leader by 100-120 AD. But no one mentioned it until about 200 AD!

May i ask what cannon is that? Because if its the orthodox eastern cannon then i too accept that. Im fact i said before that a lot of things that are not “original” are not included in the canon of the east

Mister gbob in your previous response you said that

Sorry sir if i got misunderstood that wasnt my intention. In fact i read with great care your answer on the flood you gave me before and i didnt doubt for a second you beign a geologist.

@NickolaosPappas
Nick, the New Testament canon of the Church of the East only has 22 books. It excludes the books that were still disputed at the beginning of the fourth century: 2 Peter, Jude, 2&3 John, and Revelation.

The Church of the East is not The same as Eastern Orthodox.

The truth of the gospel can be found in all the standard canons.

Yeah i got confused sorry. We as well dont have some things the western churches have. Like the ending of the mark.Our original evagellion doesnt have it,and neither the dead see scrolls and other gospels had it. But people just added it. Anyway yes the core message is found in all of Christianity in general. (Although i dont agree with the Nestorianism the church of the east teaches but thats another topic)

1 Like

One way to avoid getting all tangled up on canonicity (a worthy enterprise to have tackled - make no mistake - and that worthy labor produced its necessary fruit) is to ask instead about the content and how well it continues in and is true to the well-accepted testimonies of less disputed gospels and letters. In doing this, we are merely following the practice that was also used by the councils at the time as they were addressing canon status of books. I think I remember reading that Hebrews was wanted in the canon, not because it may be attributable to Paul, but because of what Hebrews teaches … and its alleged Pauline authorship was more of a way to lend it the desired canonical status rather than vice versa.

2 Peter includes some quite good passages that stand on their own - and that I’m glad we didn’t lose - even if the book wasn’t literally penned by Peter. There is no bogus content in it (like Jesus cursing his childhood playmates or other such nonsense) to give us cause for concern. We do have recourse to the larger narrative arc.

So just as we should be able to easily brush aside the ‘concern’ that the passage of Jesus and the adulterous woman wasn’t in all the ancient manuscripts - this doesn’t prevent us from seeing (and learning from) what was known to be in Jesus’ character and what the early church fathers considered to be apostolically faithful teachings.

3 Likes

I didnt know that. If there are texts made up about Jesus what else is made up about His personally? Thats the question

You can chase down that road if you want (many unbelievers use that to then dismiss gospels and scriptures generally as entirely unreliable.) But eventually one is forced to do the hard work of discernment about what these early figures who actually knew Jesus … and their own later disciples who knew them and are often thought to have helped get their testimonies written down when it started to become apparent that this all needs to be preserved in writing) … what did these earliest figures receive from Christ and his immediate followers? A lot, apparently! And what they chose to remember and how they remembered it is significant. That their accounts differ in detail is a clue to us that absolute journalistic consistency was probably never the aim. That modern skeptics wish to shift the focus there in order to cast doubt on the entire enterprise is expected. You can join them if you want. But that leaves me unsatisfied as it raises more questions than it answers. I’m curious about what the writers do consistently show us about the character of Jesus. I already know Jesus didn’t speak English. We already know there was some confusion or inconsistency about certain events and their exact chronology. None of that is news to us or the earliest church leaders. What it is, is a pretty good clue that the faithful believer’s focus is probably not to be captivated or obsessed with these disputable matters. Our focus is instead to be on the narrative that is the emerging theme. And more importantly, we are called to set our gaze on the person of Christ on whom that whole narrative centers. After that, all the inevitable uncertainties that will always be there to fuel those who have their own reasons for pursuing doubt - those will fade into our peripheral vision.

3 Likes

I agree with most, if not all, of what you wrote, Mervin.

I don’t think we should try to “reset” the canon, and that is not what I recommend.

What I do recommend is that we recognize that there are multiple, ancient canons from which to choose, It seems responsible to look at the options and choose from those various canons.

As for bogus passages and claims, a good example is from a book that is not in the canon I use: Jude.
Jude’s claims about Michael and Satan fighting for the body of Moses and the claims of prophecies by Enoch certain seem to be dubious at best. Quoting the lost “Assumption of Moses” seems to be a problem. And there was a significant fiction circulating (even found in the Dead Sea Scrolls) attributed to Enoch.

The writer of 2 Peter appears to have used Jude in writing the document.

We are studying the book of Hebrews now in the small group that my wife and I lead. You are right; it is special. It is in the canon, despite its being anonymous, because of the power and eloquence of the text. It is less a letter and more a sermon.

1 Like