Have theistic evolution leaders/proponents ever responded to the claim they are "heretics"/teaching heresy (looking for links, etc)?

For me, it is about explaining the genetic differences between species and how it relates to the physical differences between species. For example, I think we could probably agree that the physical differences between humans and chimps is due to the DNA sequence differences seen between our genomes. For the vast majority of biologists, these differences look like naturally occurring mutations which can include changes in letters, insertion or deletion of letters, or recombination between sections of DNA.

If you donā€™t think that micro can add up to macro, then you need to find DNA differences that could not be produced by known and observed natural processes that produce mutations, or swing for the fences and show us how the DNA sequence of a genome has nothing to do with the what a species looks like or functions.

The first problem is that the sequences in genetics looks nothing like english, or any language for that matter. For example, this is the amino acid sequence for human cytochrome c:

GDVEKGKKIFIMKCSQCHTVEKGGKHKTGPNLHGLFGRKTGQAPGYSYTAANKNKGIIWG
EDTLMEYLENPKKYIPGTKMIFVGIKKKEERADLIAYLKKATNE

I donā€™t see anything approaching the sequence of letters you describe.

Second, you should be cautious not to commit the Sharpshooter fallacy. When you designate the target after the event you are painting a bulls eye around the arrow.

5 Likes

Good call, but I would point out that this is specifically why I said, ā€œthe Dickens quote (or any other of comparable weight and poetry)ā€ I would be dubious of ANY such sentence of comparable literary quality coming out of my hypothetical program.

Matthew, I have no desire or intent (or time) to enter such debate at present. For now, I only wanted to clarify to Michelle the important philosophical distinction between such micro changes and macro changes, in any context, biological or otherwiseā€¦ and why the fact that I embrace the truth behind certain micro changes, that there is philosophical justification for being skeptical that large macro changes can be simply explained as the cumulative result of numerous micro changes.

What is an example of a large macro change?

The same could be said of computer code, that it wouldnā€™t look anything like English letters, but that would be entirely beside the point, the principle remainsā€¦ I could take some initial program, set it up to keep replacing one bit or byte after another, test it each time to see if the program broke, and Find that there is conceivably a path that could change Microsoft Word into PowerPoint. Now I could conceivably see such a random process stumbling upon improvements to MSWord. But if someone suggested that this process is how PowerPoint was created, Iā€™d be extremely dubious.

But the fact that the computer code didnā€™t resemble English any more than the genetic code would have little to do with the underlying principle.

Bacteria becoming people.

Okay, letā€™s zoom in to that a little more. Can you help me understand where the macroevolution cutoff is? Letā€™s say we go with humans, how far is too far?

1 Like

Playing cards can be a good analogy. If you thoroughly shuffled a deck of cards and deal them out one by one the specific order of those cards has a probability of 1 in 52!, or 1 in 8.0658175e+67. Thatā€™s an 8 with 67 zeros after it. The order of those cards is extremely improbable, and yet there they are. It happened. The very act of shuffling and dealing the cards ensures that we will end up with a nearly impossible series of cards. The same applies to evolution. The very act of randomly changing DNA sequences and passing them through generations in a population ensures that we will end up with a nearly impossible DNA sequence.

1 Like

You are painting the bulls eye around the arrow. Evolution does not have a goal, so expecting Microsoft Word to evolve towards the target of PowerPoint is wrong. If you ran the experiment you are describing we would most likely end up with a program that no one has ever seen before.

You are also assuming that humans are the target (Sharpshooter fallacy), and then acting amazed that a random process could hit that target. Thatā€™s not how evolution works. As I stated above, the very process of mutation and biological reproduction ensures that we will end up and a highly improbable series of DNA bases, just as shuffling a deck of cards ensures that we will produce a highly improbable series of cards.

Would your argument have the same weight if we start with ā€œRoses are redā€ and end up with:

GDVEKGKKIFIMKCSQCHTVEKGGKHKTGPNLHGLFGRKTGQAPGYSYTAANKNKGIIWG
EDTLMEYLENPKKYIPGTKMIFVGIKKKEERADLIAYLKKATNE

2 Likes

Are we to assume that the following are examples of microevolution:

Humans and other apes sharing a common ancestor.
Humans and other primates sharing a common ancestor.
Humans and other mammals sharing a common ancestor.
Humans and other amniotes sharing a common ancestor.
Humans and other tetrapods sharing a common ancestor.
Humans and other vertebrates sharing a common ancestor.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.