Has the research of Dr Michael Armitage on tissue in dinsoaur bones from Hell Creek been discussed here?

I agree that it is an exciting topic, and no doubt has the potential to give us a much fuller idea of what dinosaurs were, but would stop short of thinking that it tells us anything about the age of dinosaurs, which relies on much different data unrelated to the preservation of organic molecules. I more likely just tells us that our knowledge of the breakdown of organic material over deep time is lacking.

The bacteria in salt deposits is fascinating also, with bacteria evidently able to live in such a harsh and hostile environment, evidently originating when the salt was deposited by a dried up sea, then adapting to that environment as it was covered in sediment and buried deep within the earth. i suppose an alternative would be the colonization at a later date due to groundwater intrusion, but either way is pretty awesome.

4 Likes

The bacteria are well adapted to salt (Halobacteria). However, rock salt is very impenetrable. For bacteria and for nutrients. They are thinking about storage of nuclear wast in salt domes. After bacteria were deposited, both pressure and temperature couldn’t have been extremely high.

It can be really confusing. They know so much–and there’s so much to know. However, they are in different areas.

In medicine, I think it’s a bit like asking a pathologist to remove an appendix, the domain of a surgeon. Without a knowledge of anatomy, harvesting, cutting, and preservation, he could wind up with a poor quality liver or bone biopsy by accident.

One can argue it’s a bit like asking me, as a family doc, to make observations outside of my specialty, too. It’s really humbling! I wish I knew more–ophthalmology, dentistry, podiatry–just about everything!

3 Likes
  • If the topic of this thread’s OP has been addressed and is done with, I think it’s time to bury the “dead horse”, because beating it some more ain’t likely to get it move on its own power.
  • Unless somebody wants to make an administrative decision that designates this thread as some sort of YEC argument garbage dump.
    • Adding “living bacteria in mile thick salt rock layers of hundreds of millions years old” may prolong the agony of YEC-TE debate, but it’ll never close the “chasm” between them.
2 Likes

May be, you are right and this is not the right place. For me as microbiologist, this topic is close by. But for others its boring.

I’m thinking it is the repetitive nature of @adamjedgar’s ignorance of (as in ignoring) good science and his refusal to deal with it. I do wish he would listen to the podcast and read the transcript of A Wrinkle Occurred about the nature of science and Christians participating in it so he would not be so clueless about how it really works, and works well.

1 Like

Rock salt is highly penetrable by objects that start out on its surface. Besides flowing relatively easily for a rock, it can also easily dissolve and be redeposited. So bits of something found in a salt deposit can easily be far younger than the salt deposit. Of course, proving that bacteria are not contamination is very difficult, also. I would not be at all surprised at bacteria being able to eat their way into salt, which could easily redissolve and precipitate or squish and close the holes again.

5 Likes

Perhaps…. But I still hold them accountable because anyone with even a 12th grade education should have taken enough biology and geology to understand when something is being discussed that’s just not lining up with the scientific consensus and then knowing that double check from credible sources. There is no excuse in my opinion for adults to push young earth creationism.

1 Like
  • What have you got against Free Will and Poor Judgement?

If you really want to know I’m simply sick and tired of adults with 6th grade science understanding making up the bulk of places like the Bible Belt and filling up chats and places like IG with trollish behavior driving thousands and thousands of teens and young adults away. I meet dozens and dozens of ex christians that are great people and they hate god because of people who believe in things like hell as a place of eternal conscious torment, and they make young adults feel like they have to reject science or God and they just keep popping out more and more kids who don’t care about the environment, don’t care about real science and instead they care about things like “ celebrating Halloween is satanic and horror movies are satanic and evolution is Satan and evolutionists and queers will burn forever in hell fire and so on. All all young earth creationist are also conservatives and so on. There are outliers, but those outliers are just that. Far and between outliers.

For me, I think young earth creationism’s foundation is hatred and stupidity. I think teachers that teach it at public schools should be fired and I think teachers at private school that teaches it should be the reason their school loses accreditation. Once they shrivel up to the size of flat earthers, I won’t ever really have to think about them. But until then, it’s a major and serious blight to humanity.

2 Likes

What irritates me is that they generally do so with only a fifth-grade Sunday School flannel-board level of understanding if the scriptures. They talk about relying on the Bible when what they actually rely on is their own views as imposed on and justified by the Bible.

Personally I consider those people to be giving Satan worship by surrendering a day to him that isn’t his! It’s All Saints Eve, so why aren’t they taking it captive by sending their kids out, and going themselves, as various saints?

I used to get “Dungeons and Dragons is satanic” right up until one of my players became a Christian because of playing in my game – that really shredded some people’s minds.

I’d say Egotism rather than hatred – it relies on the assumption that they can understand the Bible without doing even the basic necessary homework. That’s just arrogant.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I like this answer. It doesn’t make sense, but it shows a lively imagination and intelligence.

It honestly seems that their struggles are mine–I tended to criticize evolutionists unfairly, as “others,” to some extent, prior to realizing I was wrong. I have the same tendency now, towards those who believed as I do. I feel the same toward other people I don’t understand–but I’m wrong. It seems it is really those who display understanding and a listening ear, who realize that everyone has a different background, that stick out. It is really hard.

Thanks.

1 Like

So Erik, are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

I am calvinist. My response was to paleomalacologist. The mechanism that he describes is a perpetual motion machine. Nice but not real.

Thanks for the info. Fun fact: This thread and most of the other YEC-based threads around here were started by a Sabbath-keeping Seventh Day Adventist who believes in Free Will, “Sleeping Souls after death”, annihilation instead of Hell,the Arminian view of Atonement, the Investigative Judgement, and thinks all non-sabbath Day worshipers interpret their Bible incorrectly. It should be interesting to see how well you two dance together.

3 Likes

How do flow under gravity and dissolution and re-deposition require perpetual motion machine-style breaking of physical laws?

2 Likes

Echoing @Paraleptopecten’s response. Or more succinctly, huh?

1 Like

It’s a perpetual motion machinestyle breaking of physical laws when one suggests that bacteria eat salt, penetrate salt rock and simultaniously leave not any trace behind, did not modify physical or chemical composition on its way. That means that the bacteria had no metabolism while digging and “ eating”.