Greta Thunberg and promoting science not solutions

Maybe knowing the risks makes us too cautious sometimes?

I don’t know if caution explains it. If a driver is told they’re going too fast, refusing to slow down isn’t cautious.

Maybe it’s that as adults we’ve grown more comfortable with the way things are. Any changes, even if they’re towards the way our grandparents lived, seem like impossible hardships.

3 Likes

I wonder if that’s part of why some people get so angry about this – maybe the anger isn’t just directed at the youth, but also the adults they deem to be manipulating them.

1 Like

I was a little young for the height of the mid-sixties hippie movement, but remember the race and war protests of that era as a kid and hit college as Vietnam wound down. The zeal and passion of youth definitely made a huge difference then, and perhaps it will now. It is hard to have the same moral outrage at global warming that racism and war evokes, but greed inspired destruction is evil nonetheless. If nothing else, perhaps Greta and her cohorts can make us aware of that

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words Jpm!

I agree that if there is a change it will be a major one. Recently having to calculate our ecological footprint, mine turned out to be quite high. Things like eating meat, Being way more observant about water and electricity usage. And even watch where our clothes come from, majorly impacted the footprint, to my surprise.

I think we are a bit too set in our luxurious ways that getting rid of them after a while is going to be very painful. I know it’ll be hard for me to make all of these changes! Especially when my lifestyle isn’t fully in my own hands just yet.

4 Likes

I partly believe that the reason why she got “famous” or well known is because of mean spirited people. I think she’s probably a great person. I’ve actually not watched her talks which is why I think she’s popular from mean spirited people. By that I mean she’s been mocked, turned to memes mocking her a grey expressions, and the subject of conspiracies that she’s just a puppet unable to develop independent thoughts. So by so many being cruel about her, it spread among certain types of people and as a result it forced many people to defend her more and more. To support her and spread her.

But I think if no one reacted negatively to her to the point they did, then she would not be as popular. However, maybe that’s toning it down to much. It very well could be that she’s so moving it inspired thousands to talk about her which caused thousands to mock her in return. But I feel it’s the first one.