God's use of natural laws & the Western scientific tradition

No. It hasn’t been “many people from different backgrounds and with different motivations”. It has been the same three people (all of whom have been disagreeing with me); you, GJDS, and fmiddel. And both you and GJDS have been charged with misrepresentation by others.

This isn’t accurate. I said Calvin was a heretic with blood on his hands, and I stand by that description. This is the actual statement of yours to which I objected.

I was pointing out that you were comparing Calvin’s Christianity to other forms of Christianity

I replied “No, I was commenting directly and specifically on Calvin. I didn’t mention any other forms of Christianity. You did”. So ironically, you’ve misrepresented yourself.

That’s a particularly uncharitable comment. You could have said “I’m sorry for repeatedly claiming you are supporting the conflict thesis”, or “I apologize for misunderstanding you”. You cite your doctoral dissertation on the relationship of religion and science; I doubt you would appreciate someone saying “Of course, when we have professionals like Ted Davis here doing that very well, I am not sure how much the help of non-professionals is needed, but still, I’m glad to hear it”.

I already made it clear that there’s no need for me to develop a thesis on how Christianity has influenced scientific development, acknowledging the expertise of others. I said this.

There is no need for me to do so. It has already been done several times by people far more knowledgeable and competent than myself. I have most of the standard works, including Duhem, who pioneered the field.

But that doesn’t mean there’s no value in myself (and other Christians such as those at Biologos and yourself), publicly speaking out against the warfare thesis and demonstrating it is false. There is great value in that.

No. I have only used those terms in very specific contexts, such as the Galileo affair, geocentrism, and geology. I have repeatedly denied that this is any evidence for the warfare thesis.

No. It’s not remotely ambiguous given the context in which I have been using it is the Galileo affair. It very obviously doesn’t mean “all the Christian theologians of the day”, and I had already stated explicitly that not all the Christian theologians of the day agreed with the church. Not only that, but no one has expressed any confusion over my use of the term.

Now I will show you exactly how I have been misrepresented. First let’s take fmiddel.

1. I stated explicitly that the Catholic Church had scientists on its side. I said “Tycho Brahe objected to Galileo on scientific grounds”, and also pointed out that Ignoli wrote “a hefty work criticizing heliocentrism on the basis of science”.

2. Despite this, fmiddel then wrote “The Church had scientists on its side”, as if I hadn’t said this at all. He never acknowledged I had said this myself.

3. I then pointed out I had already said this, telling him “I already agreed the church had scientists on its side. I cited a couple of them. Tyco Brahe and Francesco Ignoli were the two most important”, and “I made it clear repeatedly that Galileo had his scientific opponents”.

4. Despite this, fmiddel continued to ignore what I had written, and said “That they defaulted to the Bible as the final authority does not mean no scientists were “on their side””, still giving the impression that I was claiming no scientists were on the side of the Catholic Church, and still failing to acknowledge the fact that I had already said there were scientists on the side of the Catholic Church at least three times previously, and I had even cited specific names. That’s repeated misrepresentation.

Now let’s look at GJDS.

1. He said “The universe, as you put it, was better understood due to the efforts of Christian scientist, who were probably more committed to central theological teachings than many current scientists”.

2. I pointed out “If you read the article I wrote, with which I opened this thread, you’ll find me agreeing with that”.

3. Despite this, he failed to acknowledge that I had already made the same point. He then went on to misrepresent me, saying “By making the ‘earth as the centre’ sound like theology, you are now asking us to believe that it was central to faith”. This was totally unacceptable since I had said noting remotely like this. I pointed this out, saying “No, I am saying heliocentrism was claimed to be destructive to faith. Specifically, it was claimed by theologians to be destructive to faith”.

4. Not content with this, GJDS accused me of supporting the warfare thesis, saying “I find it odd that you would focus the way you do on theology, as if it is the enemy of science”. I corrected him immediately, saying “I don’t believe theology is the enemy of science”.

5. He ignored this, and simply repeated his claim, saying “So again I ask you to name major theological figures in Christianity who conform to your conflict-riddled model of the faith-science discussion”. I corrected him once more, saying “I don’t agree with the conflict model of the faith/science discussion, as I have made very clear”.

6. He ignored this, and repeated his claim yet again, saying “The curious position of @Jonathan_Burke is this: (a) theologians and Church doctrine were against science”. I corrected him again, saying “No that is not my position. I have told you this before”.

7. Despite this, he ignored it and still repeated his claim, saying “you insist the Church opposes (or has often opposed) scientific conclusions”. I corrected him yet again, saying “No. Please read what I wrote”.

This is not a case of him being led astray by my poor phrasing. This is him looking at what I am saying, and claiming I am saying the exact opposite. Every time I tell him exactly what my view is, he claims my view is the opposite of what I am saying, even when I have spelled it out explicitly more than once, and quoted Augustine making exactly the same point. That is misrepresentation.

I’ll deal with this right now, since it’s clearly an important issue. You appear surprised at the fact that the Bible overwhelmingly presents a geocentric cosmology. These resources will help.

Ancient Israelites and others in that part of the world assumed the world was flat, and so it looked like the earth is covered by a dome, and the “blue sky” is the “water above” held back by the raqia. The translation “firmament” (i.e., firm) gets across this idea of a solid structure.”

The solid nature of the raqia is well established. It is not the result of an anti-Christian conspiracy to find errors in the Bible, but the “solid” result of scholars doing their job.”

“Other scientific issues, like the heliocentric solar system or age of the universe, are things that most Christians have more or less reconciled to the Bible’s geocentric and “young earth” view.3 Most Christians understand that, even though the Bible assumes a certain way of looking at the cosmos, from a scientific point of view the Bible is wrong. And that is perfectly fine.”

Determining what an author intended and what Scripture “affirms and teaches” are hermeneutical and theological exercises, not simply derived from a “plain” reading of Scripture. Phrasing things this way is also a bit of an escape clause, i.e., the fact that the Bible presents the world as flat and allows for holding slaves does not obligate inerrantist to do likewise, since the biblical author never “intended” this to be a “teaching.”

The biblical writers assumed that the earth is flat, was made by God in relatively recent history (about 4,000 years before Jesus), just as it looks now, and that it is the fixed point in the cosmos over which the sun actually rises and sets.”

None of those is “geocentric;” a flat earth is not Ptolemaic geocentrism.

The Church did not oppose Galileo by insisting that the earth was flat.

Did they?

Wow - I gather some chaps are self-conscious, but you have taken self-justification to new limits. For crying out loud, have a good day. :relaxed:

1 Like

You’re missing the references to geocentrism in the quotations I provided.

"“Other scientific issues, like the heliocentric solar system or age of the universe, are things that most Christians have more or less reconciled to the Bible’s geocentric and “young earth” view.”

“The biblical writers assumed that the earth is flat, was made by God in relatively recent history (about 4,000 years before Jesus), just as it looks now, and that it is the fixed point in the cosmos over which the sun actually rises and sets.”

I included additional articles because they help demonstrate the point that the Bible presents a pre-modern cosmology and we shouldn’t impose our modern knowledge on the text. Those other articles also help us understand how the text should be understood.

No, because the science on that matter had been accepted by most Christians long before. Only a few early medieval Christians insisted the earth was flat (or denied the Antipodes), on the basis of the Bible. Note that Christians did not learn that the earth is round from the Bible; they learned it from science.

That’s exactly my point. The Church was not defending a flat-earth cosmology against Galileo but a Ptolemaic geo-centrism.

Although they attempted to defend their position from scripture, that’s not where their position came from.

It doesn’t matter where their position originally came from, it matters that they tried to defend it from Scripture instead of from science. This is the point; they were not trying to defend science, they were trying to defend what they thought Scripture actually said. And it was easy to make that mistake, since they could only find passages of the Bible which indicated geocentrism.

This is precisely why the Galileo situation is analogous to modern Christians opposing evolution on the basis that “It’s wrong according to the Bible”. There’s absolutely no use pointing to the Bible and saying “Evolution is wrong because Bible”, any more than it’s valid to say “Heliocentrism is wrong because Bible”.

Modern science can and should inform our interpretation of what the Bible says about the cosmos and the earth, and life on earth. If modern Christians who oppose evolution can’t learn from the Galileo affair, then they’ll simply repeat the same mistake the Catholic Church made.

1 Like

But what Scripture actually says is “flat earth.” Not Ptolemaic geo-centrism. They were defending the scientific status quo of the day using scripture.

But why? Why was this important to them?

What Scripture actually presents is Ptolemaic geocentrism.

Because they believed that’s what Scripture taught. Because when they looked in Scripture that’s what they saw. In their minds they were defending Scripture, not “the scientific status quo of the day”. That’s why they said they were defending Scripture. They didn’t say “We’re defending the scientific status quo of the day, and you are wrong because you are contradicting the current scientific consensus, and we are charging you with the crime of disagreeing with other scientists”. Brahe and Ignoli and other scientists, their objection was theological, based on their interpretation of Scripture. It was not scientific. If they had objected on the basis of science they still would have been wrong but at least they would have had a more reasonable basis for objection.

[quote=“Jonathan_Burke, post:229, topic:4380”]
This is precisely why the Galileo situation is analogous to modern Christians opposing evolution on the basis that “It’s wrong according to the Bible”. There’s absolutely no use pointing to the Bible and saying “Evolution is wrong because Bible”, any more than it’s valid to say “Heliocentrism is wrong because Bible”.

Modern science can and should inform our interpretation of what the Bible says about the cosmos and the earth, and life on earth. If modern Christians who oppose evolution can’t learn from the Galileo affair, then they’ll simply repeat the same mistake the Catholic Church made.
[/quote]

ANOTHER PERFECT DESCRIPTION!

The irony is that the Catholic Church has largely grown out of this tendency … while Evangelicals (who have for centuries seen the Catholic Church as wrong or evil) have become the source of the new INQUISITION.

In the recent remake of COSMOS, the transition from Burno vs. Rome to Evangelicals vs. Science was not explicitly mapped… but those comfortable with the history of Religion comprehended that the context had changed in just the last century or so.

And we owe it all to (1) the new scientists we began to call Geologists … (2) Darwin … and finally (3) to Crick & Watson !

That’s a direct contradiction to most of that list of links you posted earlier.

[quote=“Jonathan_Burke, post:231, topic:4380”]
Because they believed that’s what Scripture taught. Because when they looked in Scripture that’s what they saw. In their minds they were defending Scripture, not “the scientific status quo of the day”. That’s why they said they were defending Scripture.[/quote]

But why was that important?

Yes indeed.

I quoted six sources. Four of them were works by Enns, who believes the Bible presents a flat earth and geocentrism (two of his articles state explicitly that the Bible presents geocentrism). Which of those four works by Enns do you think directly contradicts the idea that the Bible presents geocentrism?

The other two were by Seeley. Which of the two articles by Seeley do you think directly contradicts the idea that the Bible presents geocentrism?

Do you mean why was that important to them? Why is it important to Ken Ham?

It is completely disingenuous and borderline dishonest to suggest that “flat-earth geocentrism” is equivalent to “Ptolemaic geocentrism” especially when I was quite specific.

Let me reiterate for clarity. The Church was defending Ptolemaic geocentrism, which scripture does not explicitly describe. Scripture describes “flat-earth geocentrism”–which is what the links you provided were saying.

Notice that I said this already

[quote=“Jonathan_Burke, post:231, topic:4380”]
But what Scripture actually says is “flat earth.” Not Ptolemaic geo-centrism.

What Scripture actually presents is Ptolemaic geocentrism.[/quote]

To which I responded:

So…yes, the links argue for “flat-earth geocentrism,” not “Ptolemaic geocentrism.”

As I said.

They’re not the same thing. And the Church was defending “Ptolemaic geocentrism,” not “flat-earth geocentrism.”

You know.

Just to be clear.

But how does Scripture describe “flat-earth geocentrism” while “presenting” “Ptolemaic geocentrism”?

I don’t really know, but until Ken Ham is successful in suppressing other voices, it doesn’t really matter so much to me.

I think you’re disingenuous by inventing an irrelevant distinction (and not even making it clear that you’re doing so).

Can you demonstrate that the Church was arguing “We’d like to make it clear that we’re defending Ptolemaic geocentrism, not the flat earth geocentrism you find in the Bible”?

The Church was obviously not making the weird distinction you’re making. In what you’re calling “flat earth geocentrism”, the sun goes around the earth. In what you’re calling “Ptolemaic geocentrism”, does the sun go around the earth or does something else happen? Geocentrism is geocentrism.

If you’re correct about this important distinction between the two, then you’ll find the answer in the writings of the Church, because in your view they were defending Ptolemaic geocentrism with Scripture, on the basis of their belief that Scripture teaches Ptolemaic geocentrism.

The fact is that Scripture presents the earth as flat, and it presents geocentrism. Inventing artificial distinctions to try and get around this, won’t work.

Because they thought he was contradicting Scripture, just like Ken Ham thinks people who disagree with him are contradicting Scripture.

For exactly the same reason it was important to the Church.

And what reason is that? Why does it matter to Ken that others think the same way he does?

I’m not convinced that Ken’s reasons are the same as the medieval Church’s…

Ok so you’re trying this again. Regardless of where it came from, the fact is they pointed to Scripture as a source (not Ptolemy), and they pointed to Scripture as proof (not Ptolemy). You still haven’t overturned the fact that they refused to believe science on the basis of what they saw in Scripture. And they did not read geocentrism into Scripture, it’s already there.

For the same reason it’s important to Ken Ham.

I already explained it.

Because he thinks other people should believe what he thinks about the Bible, just the way the Catholic Church believed other people should believe what it thought about the Bible.

Sure they are; both of them rejected scientific conclusions because they believed the Bible taught otherwise. Simple.

[quote=“Jonathan_Burke, post:240, topic:4380”]
Ok so you’re trying this again. Regardless of where it came from, the fact is they pointed to Scripture as a source (not Ptolemy), and they pointed to Scripture as proof (not Ptolemy). You still haven’t overturned the fact that they refused to believe science on the basis of what they saw in Scripture. And they did not read geocentrism into Scripture, it’s already there.[/quote]

If you think a flat earth with the sun going around it is equivalent to Ptolemaic geo-centrism, then maybe it’s not possible for me to have this conversation with you.

Ptolemaic geocentrism is not found in scripture. They used scripture to justify what they believed to be the best scientific theory. It was not a direct match between the two.

You haven’t given a reason. “You’re wrong” is not a reason that it would be important to them.

Why was it important that they stifle Galileo’s voice? Why was it important that “their view dominate”?

You didn’t. You just keep repeating that they thought they were right.

That’s almost a syllogism. Everybody thinks he or she is right. To actually believe that what you believe is false would be insanity.

That’s not the question.

The question is, why was it so important for them to quell a dissenting opinion?

But…WHY? Why was it important for everybody to believe what they believed?