God & Violence: God's capriciousness in the OT

No, not patronizing at all. I genuinely meant my thanks. If you see a brother wondering towards the water who can’t swim, I would hope/expect for you to at least attempt to warn him. If it turns out he can swim or his eyes are fixed on Jesus, allowing him to walk on the water, then it is no harm. But if he couldn’t, it is our duty to look after our brother and not to worry about him having too much pride that we might hurt his feelings. If I was offended by someone with the intentions of looking after me, I have too much pride. To think that I am that great to be offended by anyone who tried to help me?

Slightly. But that mostly comes from 2 Timothy 3:16. Though I know when that was written, the NT didn’t exist yet. So I assume it was talking about the OT. Though I am exploring other interpretations. Maybe it is referring to the books of the law, or psalms, or prophets? I know Jesus studeied the scriptures too, and the words He used to fight temptations were from the reselling of the law inDeuteronomy. He also refers to the prophets in His life on earth.

And again he parts that do parallel and point/foreshadow Jesus gives that scriptures so much weight.

I’m. It sure how this contradicts or makes no sense? They were downtrodden slaves until God rescues them. And a people who had every firstborn die…I’m sure they would have no problems at all giving the ones who caused this curse to end, anything they wanted. They were known for human sacrifices to end a curse, why not give away a bit of gold and jewels?

As far as it not being historically noted, that is one thing. But I don’t see how the story itself isn’t completely logical or contradictory.

Though I meant the Egyptians had much gold, as they sold there stored grains to save the world of famine.

I agree with you there I think. I don’t think anyone should say this is to give us moral guidance, anymore than David’s affair. But that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. It might not have, but not by logic.

I think it should be read as a loving God, keeping His promises, and always providing and protecting the weak and providing for those who trust Him. And that His will will be done, that train is moving, it is recommended to move out of its way if you are in its way.

But I again agree on this with you, thank you for sharing this insight with me.

1 Like