God Nudging in Evolution

I post here ocassionaleguarly and always sound like a dunce. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh that is far from nothing. What I was questioning was only concerns the durability and self sufficiency of what gets created. I tend to think of creation as an on going process with no clear beginning. If there is intention behind it it is there still.

Nah.  

1 Like

We agree as ever.

I do to. God/Jesus does not really intervene in our lives, but Jesus does interact through the Holy Spirit with us which maqkes all the difference in our lives.

One thing that I have against evolution is that Darwin believes that it was caused by the struggle of God’s creatures against one another. That is not what Jesus taught. That is not what I see in nature.

Not that life is a party, but we are called to work together to help one another, not to struggle against one another. That is why I support ecological or symbiotic evolution. God does nudge us and all biota to be the best we can be in a loving manner, which makes God great and life worth living.

Really? How about Maggie? (Of course, that could be labeled ‘interact’ as well.) He does in mine, too , not to mention multiple biblical accounts and the accounts of Christians over the centuries. Since he is not limited by time, ‘interact’ and ‘intervene’ amount to about the same thing, being instantaneous and simultaneous, so to speak, from God’s perspective.

I cannot speak for you or Maggie, only for me.

In the Bible the only instance I can think of that might be considered intervening is Jesus confronting Saul of Tarsus on his way to Damascus. I can’t construct a theology on one event that is not very clear.

You appear to be denying that God intervened or interacted on Maggie’s behalf.

He did:

But then backtracked from that with:

So he appeared to but does not appear to.

God has not intervened in, nudged, anyone’s life since the first couple of ripples of course. Why would He?

That’s essentially how I see it.

Like one time when I was hiking and ended up going way further than I originally intended and ran out of water and it was really hot. I could see no clouds from where I was in a low spot with lots of pines all around. When I came up the path no one was there. By the time I was returning and felt like I was having a bad dehydration and heat exhaustion problem coming on. So I prayed while walking. Shortly after that lots of cloud covers shows up, wind picks up, and I come across a camper who set up sometime after I walked past the area originally and got some cold water from them.

I believe it was a prayer answered and I believe God was the one who answered. It was a blessing. However, that does not change the fact that I am aware that way before I prayed that guy was already headed there and he already had cold waters. If I never showed up he would have still showed up with cold waters. It does not change the fact that well before I prayed these clouds developed over the Gulf of Mexico and were making their way in my direction. They developed hours before they reached me. There is no reason why I can’t accept both. After all it says rain and seasons are a blessing for us. Does not undermine the natural aspects of it.

2 Likes

God uses and doesn’t have to break any natural laws to ‘intervene’ or ‘interact’ in his providence. I had just been rereading Maggie’s story to refresh (speaking of refreshment, @SkovandOfMitaze :slightly_smiling_face:) my memory of the details. It’s pretty cool.

1 Like

I agree he does not. I also believe that he does. I believe in the supernatural and that God can and does at times directly intervene. Such as with Moses and the Red Sea, Elijah and the ravens, Philip and the world wind, tongues of fire at Pentecost, and all the miracles preformed by the apostles and those they laid their hands on gifting the power of the spirit. I believe miracles , though not laying on of hands , still occur today. I believe in angels as literal beings. As a god that is eternal, with no beginning or end, creator of life and all knowing I presume he can intervene and manipulate in ways that are not verifiable. I don’t believe everything is just simply philosophical and mythological.

1 Like

Why do you presume that from your premisses?

Healing proves that He doesn’t. I.e. it never happens (note third person present tense), because He cannot intervene in healing without leaving a statistical trace. There is none.

Because that’s what scripture says repeatedly happened. I agree healings through laying on of hands and so on never happens anymore. Cessationist.

Because what? What’s the connector?

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

God knows everything?
God is eternal?
God interacts with his creation?
God does answer prayers?
God is a actual supernatural being?
God can work within and outside the laws are must live by?

How do we get from here

to here

?

Again, I posted a handful of questions just let me know which one you take issue with and then I can answer it. This will essentially be my response again and again.

There seems to be some confusion here so let me explain. Starting from the beginning, which is important, @GregLogan a first time contributor, began this topic by saying God did not poof humans into existe4nce, but by nudging them into existence. Then @beaglelady said that God did not intervene to bring us into existence, but interacted with us to nudge us into existence and @GregLogan agreed. Then I agreed with them saying God does not intervene to bring us into salvation, but clearly does interact.

Then @Dale brought up @maggie777’s experience and added in his own and others to day that he favors intervention , while saying that there was not much difference. First of all I has not denied the religious experience of anyone and will never do so. I can onlyspe4ask about what I know which is my own religious experience and to some extent what others have shared with me. I do not claim that it is absolute truth, only that it is what I through my experience and study have found to to be true. I do not pretend to speak for God , bit I am trying to share God’s Truth as I know it.

@Dale, to be honest U think that you are being rude by by trying to pock an argument with me, while I am dialoging with someone else, esp… a new participant. If you want to present an argument to hum, using Maggie’s testimony fine, As it turns our Maggie does not claim that God intervened directly to help her, as ID’ers say, so as powerful as it is as a testimony, it does not support your claim of intervention.

Can God intervene in evolution? Yes, of course. Does that mean that God does because I think God should. NO Can God intervene in life because I ask God in prayer? God could, but God does things because they are right and in the right way, not to please us or to show off God’s power.

@Klax. I must inform you that you really do not know what God does, does not do. and why God does it. Your argument. “Why would He?,” is not an argument. It is sophistry. . . .

Roger

Just to be clear - I actually REJECTED the “nudging” experience as I found it less than credible - and was disappointed to see it proffered.

1 Like