God is More Than an Intelligent Designer

ID is not about God. ID does not require God. And yes even with God other causes would still exist.

@JoeG

If you read some of the postings from months ago (above, in this thread) you will see the discussion that your nuanced position about I.D. may be technically true - - but to the average supporter of I.D., the inclination to identify the designer as God is virtually certain.

I haven’t run across any Christians biased towards Alien intervention in the creation of life on the planet Earth.

2 Likes

Christians who accept universal common descent have some explaining to do as that goes against the Bible. And if the Bible is wrong then why are you Christians?

Because some truths in the Bible are ETERNAL.

6 Day Creation is not one of them.

If you substitute “heliocentrism” for “universal common descent,” your statement would have equal validity. Or, more accurately, invalidity. What you seem to mean is "that goes against (my acceptance of a particular human interpretatation of ) the Bible. Further, you seem to imply that if that particular interpretation is not accepted, then there is no reason to be a Christian. I would simply ask that you think that through.

4 Likes

Not knowing Hebrew, I guess I am out of luck in reading Genesis.
While I agree that much of the Bible is straightforward, and a good deal of meaning can be had from a simple reading, there is also much that is not, and that can be read in conflict with other parts of the scripture, which then must be reconciled. And many of us experience situations where it can be interpreted one way in life, and another later given a different situation and with new understanding. When you read the New Testament, Jesus often quoted scripture giving it a new meaning from the “straightforward” way it had been taken before. In Acts, we see the eunuch asking Philip what the scripture meant, as it was not straightforward to him.
There is value in study and scholarship of the Bible, and interpretation is something we all do, whether we realize it or not.

My own evolution as an evangelical had more to do with realizing that the view that Jesus was going to return any day now was a perversion of scripture than anything to do with evolution.