Genesis and anthropology

I will look for your comments.

1 Like

So, as someone who edits articles full-time for the ā€œaverage readerā€, your stuff is not for the average reader. Which doesnā€™t mean itā€™s wrong. Again, I donā€™t have any comment on that, although I think thereā€™s a serious discussion to be had about whether Genesis can be trusted as an exhaustively accurate anthropological text, given that the first eleven chapters cannot be reliably read as literal history, in my opinion.

And thanks for identifying your credentials. It is helpful. I have an MDiv and a BS in philosophy.

You are mistaken in lumping the first 11 chapters together as lacking reliability. Kinship analysis of the Genesis king lists in Genesis 4 and 5 has shown them to be authentic and the rulers listed to be historical.

Please, you made a claim. And Iā€™m looking to you to support it. Simply tell me where the Bible says that Adam is the ā€œfounding father of the red people in the R1B haplogroup?ā€

So now you are being a biblical literalist?

No, not at all. You are the one who said that ā€œAdam is presented two ways in the Bible: as the first created human male, and as the founding father of the red people in the R1B haplogroup, which is the haplogroup of Abrahamā€™s Proto-Saharan ancestors.ā€

@Alice_Linsley

I have a difficult enough time accepting the credibility of the story of Exodus ā€¦ for there seems to be precious little indication that the Hebrew were even partially 'Egyptianized" during their 400 to 200 years they allegedly spent there.

What little Egyptian influence we find seems to be from the return of the Jeremiad community from their stay in Egypt when the Persians conquered Egypt and removed the national frontier between Egypt and Palestine.

But Iā€™m always interested in new ideas. What do you think is the one or two MOST convincing evidence for Abraham having ANYTHING to do with Africa? Everything in Genesis points to an ASIAN connection, ultimately connecting to Sumeria and Persia (depending on the century)ā€¦ and Genesis seems to be quite unaware of the modern theories of the ā€œSahara/Semitic Pumpā€ - - driving emigration from Ethiopia into the Saudi heartland.

I look forward to your comments!

For other readers, here is an introductory discussion on the ā€œSahara Pumpā€:

The genetic ancestry of all humans can be traced back to Africa. The Bible presents Abraham as a descendant of his ancestors listed in Genesis 4 and 5. These rulers were not Asians.

@Alice_Linsley, do you think Genesis is a figurative description of the evolution of humankind from African people?

Or do you think Evolution is wrong, and that the earth is less than 10,000 years old?

Alice Linsley, I am baffled by your evasion of a simple request by Beaglelady. I too would like your explanation of this statement:

If you regret making the claim, please so indicate. If you are not regretting the claim, please answer the question.

For the record, I agree that the Hebrew text connects HAADAM to the red soil. But I have no idea how one jumps from there to the R1B haplogroup.

2 Likes

A huge bulk of evidence ties the Horite Hebrew/Habiru to the R1b peoples, including common solar imagery and symbolism, common archaic shelters and signs/ common practices among the rulers/ intermarriage of the ruling lines/ common marriage and ascendancy pattern/ genetic tracking of their dispersion out of Africa, etc. Feel free to peruse the research using the INDEX at both blogs.

http://biblicalanthropology.blogspot.com/2011/02/index-of-topics-at-biblical.html

@Alice_Linsley,

Could you provide some specific quotes? The index listing of all that topics is hardly evidenceā€¦ if we canā€™t FIND the right text/evidence?

1 Like

Thank you, Mr. Molinist, for your remarks. Does anybody remember a verse that mentions that Adam is the founding father of the red people in the R1B haplogroup? Does anybody else believe this? Has it been explicitly been proposed in any professional journals?

2 Likes

Focus on the articles that deal with archaic peoples, archaic rulers. and kinship. Much of this probably new to you, but not so much to anthropologists.

@Alice_Linsley,

You assume that wandering aimlessly through an index of articles is somehow pleasant or productive. You are mistaken.

If the evidence is POWERFUL or PERSUASIVE ā€¦ it should be an easy matter to specify an article that discusses it

So Iā€™m assuming you have nothing in the way of persuasive evidence.

2 Likes

I donā€™t believe that Genesis says anything about evolutionary facts or theories. The great age of the Earth is supported by science and Scripture. Young-Earth Creationism is neither scientific nor biblical.

1 Like

Wandering is good for the soul sometimes. :slight_smile:

@Alice_Linsley

Your link includes this:

ā€œAbrahamā€™s Habiru ancestors served at the Sun temples across the vast ancient Afro-Asiatic world. Some of the Habiru were Horites. The Horite priests were devotees of Horus, the son of Ra. The oldest site of Horus worship is Nekhen (Hierakonpolis) in Sudan (4000-3000 B.C.).ā€

" Votive instruments at Nekhen were ten times larger than the mace heads and bowls found elsewhere, suggesting that this was a very prestigious shrine.

ā€¦[at] the center of Africa is the region of Lake Chad, Noahā€™s homeland. Noah and his descendants are in the R1b Haplogroup."

Iā€™m not sure why you are even trying to tie any of this to the Bibleā€¦ you are building a huge construct on the word play: ā€œAdamā€ / ā€œRedā€ / ā€œEarthā€ ā€¦ and ignoring all the other SPECIFICS that the Bible also provides.

I think you should probably reverse the process ā€¦ IGNORE the RED ā€¦ and examine the rest.

2 Likes

That would be to ignore the anthropological evidence in the Bible concerning Abraham and his ancestors among whom Messianic expectation/hope emerged long before Judaism. Why would I do that?

Most scholars donā€™t see any real messianic expectation until after the return of the Exiles. But even if you can establish that the patriarchal material DOES have genuinely old messianic expectations ā€¦ where do you find the connection to the African heartland? ā€¦ instead of the Mesopotamian or even Armenian heartlands?

1 Like