Frontline: United States of Conspiracy

You’ll be able to stream in on-demand. Maybe they start it later since it often contains adult content.

Great idea! I forget we have that.

We just watched it, pretty much centered on Alex Jones. Crazy to consider how many people are influenced by this stuff, including POTUS.

3 Likes

And like him too many people think their gut level judgement is that of a stable genius. And the people who tell you how many medical experts they’ve listened too never state what qualifying background they have which makes their appraisals of all those experts noteworthy.

1 Like

We did too, and before that, we watched the ABC 20/20 piece, American Catastrophe: How Did We Get Here?, on COVID-19. That could have been a depressing two hours, but I’m thankful I know a sovereign God!

2 Likes

That was some rough viewing. But it really comes down to the democratization of facts. Anyone willing to be belligerent and obtuse (a la Alex Jones) can blurt out anything they like. Rather than provide reasons or make an argument for taking them seriously, they turn it into a pig wrestling contest in which the person who doesn’t accept the ‘facts’ that are spewed is challenged to defend their assertion that their alternative facts aren’t true. Classic flipping of the burden of proof.

Makes you wonder how we can maintain a democracy and freedom of speech when there is so much deliberate distortion and motivated lying. Frightening, really.

4 Likes

Yes, it makes me wonder what our response should be as citizens and as Christians. Should we confront the lies and evil to expose them to the light, or ignore them as they do not deserve the dignity of a response? What when the ones repeating them are friends and family?

I do feel censoring them may be counterproductive, when that only serves to reinforce the conspiracy mentality. On the other hand, who has the time to give a detailed rebuttal of verything that comes along, especially when the crazies just skip to the next thing.

4 Likes

Back in the beginning of April, we were talking about it. I remember in particular @LM77’s comment and his reference to the time commitment required:

I thought this show was just horrifying! BioLogos used to have a 9/11 Truther commenting here. He was also an Intelligent Design advocate.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.