Freedom of choice and neuroscience

Since no one can be judged for their actions as they had no choice(according to them) we should educate rather than punish. I do wonder whether they would actually stick to that, should anything awful happen to them or their loved ones.

My guess? MarkDā€™s gettinā€™ old and tired of making choices; heā€™s lookinā€™ for a way to slack off. From one OF to another: ā€œThereā€™s no rest for the weary (or the wicked).ā€

Hmm, ā€¦ I hadnā€™t thought of that.

Not me. I can vaguely remember doing things that would have preferred not doing, but I canā€™t remember ever doing something against my will

Hmm ā€¦ O F ā€¦ old F. Oh yeah, you mean old fellow. But itā€™s sort of true. I quite enjoy getting recommendations for books, movies and what to order to eat. Research is just one more thing to do ā€¦ except when it comes to potential new plants for the garden obviously.

2 Likes

I hear that! On the other hand, I should be more thankful that I have choices.

but will education lead to better choices?

1 Like

I have heard someone saying that even if you decide something subconsciously, it is still YOU, therefore thatā€™s not an argument against free will. Is that what you were trying to say?

Yep

2 Likes

Allow me to be silly.

• Since all of us here in Biologos-land are rational and reasonable, andā€“given our rationality and reasonablenessā€“each of us is ALWAYS consistent and occasionally coherent, it is appropriate to conclude that I, a devout and committed Determinist and anti-free-willer, mustā€“to be consistentā€“believe no one is responsible for anything they do and, therefore, should not be held accountable for any offense or harm done. Whereas, free-willersā€“to be consistentā€“should what??? Punish culprits according to their offenses and crimes and accept responsibility for their own contributions to their personal unhappiness or misery???

Seems to me that, in a consistently deterministic society, thereā€™s no room for punishment and in a consistently free will society, thereā€™s no room for mercy, no?

Yes to the former (no room for punishment), but why the latter (no room for mercy)? (As a God-is-omnitemporal Calvinist, I am in neither camp. :slightly_smiling_face:)

Which, I surmise, would explain your inability to recognize some characteristic of consistent free-willingness from the instant that it appears to the instant it is enacted. Help me out: I did ask ā€œWhereas, free-willersā€“to be consistentā€“should what???ā€. Can a consistent free-willer, as the author of his or her own thoughts from beginning to end, and chooser of the choices chosen ever evade ultimate responsibility for deeds which he or she has conceived and carried out? You thunk it; you did it. You get the praise, you get the blame? No?

I think some decisions are generated on a subconscious level, perhaps so that we donā€™t lose touch with what is directly before us demanding our attention.
If I am considering killing someone, I think my conscience will battle my subconscious to be heard in the present tense as a decision is under consideration. How much is my assent to my subconscious thoughts a factor in major moral issues verses the toothpaste I will select?
I think the dynamics change the weightier the decision is.
Also, my subconscious, if it has any regard for me, probably takes into consideration how deeply I will regret making a decision that is contrary to my conscious self.

1 Like

Help me out with an example of my inability. I am talking about our relationship to God who actively intervenes ā€˜timefullyā€™ in providence. Through no ā€˜choiceā€™ of our own, except possibly to have prayed. But God gets the credit, thank you.

Maybe I am talking about being childlike before God and not sweating it. How do you obsess in a childlike manner? You can be obedient and enjoy, or disobedient and not. Yes, we have free will, but Father providentially supplies. The omnitemporal Godā€™s instantaneous and dynamic relationship to us in sequential time means Judas was responsible but ā€œat the same timeā€ was

ā€¦doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

• I began my exercise in silliness with:
    • The assumption that everyone here in Biologos-land are rational and reasonable, andā€“given our rationality and reasonablenessā€“each of us is ALWAYS consistent and occasionally coherent.
  • Then, given that assumption, I proposed that itā€™s appropriate to conclude that I, a devout and committed Determinist and anti-free-willer, mustā€“to be consistentā€“believe no one is responsible for anything they do and, therefore, should not be held accountable for any offense or harm done.
  • Nota Bene: My exercise in silliness began with ā€œThe assumptionā€ and got as far as ā€œany offense or harm done.ā€
  • Following that portion of my exercise, I asked: ā€œWhereas free-willersā€“to be consistentā€“should what???ā€, which I thought was an invitation to anyone who could, to come up with a silly claim of free-willer consistentcy,
  • ā€œPunish culprits according to their offenses and crimes and accept responsibility for their own contributions to their personal unhappiness or misery???ā€ was the best silliness that I could come up with.
  • I concluded my ā€œbeing sillyā€ post with: ā€œSeems to me that, in a consistently deterministic society, thereā€™s no room for punishment and in a consistently free will society, thereā€™s no room for mercy, no?ā€
  • You agreed with the first but not the latter (although Iā€™m not sure whether you were agreeing that the first was silly, but not the second; or that thereā€™s no room for punishment in a consistently deterministic society, but not that thereā€™s no room for mercy in a consistently free will society.)
  • What!!!??? Would you seriously fault me for hollering, calling the cops, or kicking the butt of someone who offends or harms me just because that would be behavior that is not consistent with my Deterministic and anti-free will principles? Are you nuts? Just because Iā€™m a Determinist and an anti-free willer does not oblige me to be consistent just because you think I should be consistent and holding someone responsible and accountable is inconsistent with believing in Determinism and being anti-free will. Thatā€™s sillier than anything I said in my silly post which raises the bar of silliness. But your failure to come up with something equally silly to say about consistentcy in free will remains: either you could have come up with something and wouldnā€™t say it or youā€™re unable to come up with something silly to claim about free-willingness. I figured youā€™re unable.
  • P.S.

Are you seriously going to try to reason your way out of being silly?

No. Nothing about free will is guaranteed and I donā€™t see how mercy is ruled out when a high degree of free will is not a given. Bad luck in upbringing, education or circumstances can curtail ones available freedom of choice. Regardless - in my opinion - choice and will never were the private domain of waking consciousness. Itā€™s fine in an advisement capacity when becoming tiger food isnā€™t immediately likely. But rely on it exclusively? Not a good idea to attempt so much processing with such a narrow band width faculty.

Iā€™m not being any more silly than you are being rude ā€“ considerably less, in fact. I am saying that yes we absolutely have free will and yes God is absolutely sovereign and ā€˜deterministicā€™. It has to do with Godā€™s omnitemporality.

I implied no such thing. Your presumption is excessive.

1 Like

???

• I wrote: ā€œSeems to me that, in a consistently deterministic society, thereā€™s no room for punishment and in a consistently free will society, thereā€™s no room for mercy, no?ā€
  • You responded: ā€œYes to the former (no room for punishment),ā€
  • I take it, then, that you agree with my self-acknowledged ā€œsillyā€ assertion: that in a consistently deterministic society, thereā€™s no room for punishment. If not, I do not understand your ā€œyesā€. However, if your ā€œyesā€ means that you do agree that in a consistently deterministic society, thereā€™s no room for punishment, then. IMO, I think thatā€™s as silly as I intended the claim to be. The concept of ā€œa consistently deterministic societyā€ is as unrealistic as the ā€œidea of a consistently free will societyā€ in 2021. I have difficulty trying to imagine either one lasting very long.
  • Iā€™m sorry that you think Iā€™ve been rude; I wasnā€™t intentionally trying to be. I began my post with a warning: ā€œAllow me to be sillyā€, I tried to maintain my silliness throughout my post; and you appear to have tried to be serious. Silliness and seriousness donā€™t mix well in my experience. Interjecting considerations of God into the conversation compounds problems significantly, and thatā€™s why I didnā€™t mention Him.
  • The challenge that Iā€™ve encountered, as a Determinist, is the suggestion that my position is indefensible and to prove it Iā€™m told that to be a consistent Determinist I shouldnā€™t raise a fuss if my dog is killed in front of me, my wife is brutally raped and murdered in my presence, everything we own is taken from me, etc., etc. Would I raise a fuss? Yes, I would, I say. Ahaa! Iā€™m told: I must not be a consistent Determinist.
  • However, IMO, a consistent free will position is equally indefensible. Free will arises ex nihilo; if it doesnā€™t, itā€™s not perfectly free will. Donā€™t believe it? You must not be a consistent Free Willer.

No, you just donā€™t understand my position with respect to our free will, Godā€™s sovereignty, his omnitemporality and his inscrutability. There is a paradox there we are not going to get our heads around, no matter how many bullet points you make.

ETA: It lets me be a ā€˜Free Willerā€™ and a ā€˜Deterministā€™ concurrently, as in ā€œat the same timeā€.

1 Like

FYI: My bullet points are for me. They help me keep track of my thoughts. If they donā€™t do anything for you, ignore them.

As for ā€œyour positionā€, youā€™re still ignoring what I call ā€œconsistent Free Willā€ and replacing my understanding of it with your position. If I wanted to know what your position is, Iā€™d have asked.
My position on Determinism begins with bits of stuff moving through space. Different sets of the bits do different things: Some circle other sets, like planets circling stars and solar systems circling in galaxies. Other sets sit at their computers and post messages to each other.

So, do any one of those bits have free will? I think not. Anybody who thinks that each of the smallest bits moving through space has free will is welcome to try to explain to me how that works. But if none of the smallest bits has free will, how many are needed to give rise to or exercise free will? God is no less sovereign and inscrutable in my Cosmos than He is in yours.

I sit with my iPad in the chair that I inherited from my dad. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry to disappoint. I was talking about reality. :slightly_smiling_face:

Neuroscience has little to say about big moral decision making, apart from that there are hard and morally pre-wired parts of the brain that are conditioned by experience to affect them. Such decisions arenā€™t affected in the immediate; the fact that experiments show that we have made up our minds before we consciously know it in both morally neutral and not situations doesnā€™t show that there is no mahout on top of the elephant. But unless the elephant is chilled, the mahout has no chance to influence its charge and usually ends up justifying it ā€˜Woah! No!!! AAAAARGH! Yes! Good boy. Thatā€™s it. Phew.ā€™. Later the mahout can mull, introspect, review, counsel and the elephant will overhear.