For the first time questioning traditional creationism, few questions about evolutionary creationism/theistic evolution

Hi Martin,

I didn’t fully explain that interpretation of Jonah, so I can understand how you came to your conclusion. Please allow me to give a little more detail.

It is very true that Jonah helps all readers understand how loving and inclusive God is. The message would have been particularly striking to a Jewish reader during or shortly after the Babylonian exile. Such a reader would have come to the story feeling that Israel had fallen short of God’s calling, much like Jonah had headed to Tarshish rather than Nineveh. Like so many of the prophets, the writer of Jonah emphasizes that Israel is not aligning its priorities with God’s heart. Israel is worried about finding shade from the heat, while God is concerned about the fate of a city full of people He loves.

The satire about the Ninevite animals underlines Israel’s profound misunderstanding of God’s righteousness and mercy. Those goyim animals are wearing sackcloth, fasting, and entreating God’s mercy! The Ninevite animals are more righteous than Israel!

The dynamic here is quite similar to the dynamic of the Parable of the Good Samaritan, where someone thought by the Jews to be unrighteous demonstrates God’s character far better than they.

Does that seem like a respectful reading of the book?

Best,
Chris

8 Likes

Thanks Chris. I like that, but the story isn’t an Aesop’s fable of course. It’s more like good science fiction. The Ninevites drape their cattle in sackcloth and ash, make them fast and it makes them look as if they are a reproach to Israel. In the story, the animals are just animals. The writer went to great lengths to make the story as realistic as possible with minimal supernatural elements, which is part of its power. Jonah fulfilled the Assyrian Dagon messiah too, which is why they paid attention to him. In the story. It would make a great Dr. Who episode.

And you’re being most respectful to the intent of the book and God Himself, Chris.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.