Flood Geology Cannot Explain Sedimentary Formations. Here's Why

They would both observe stellar parallax which is predicted by the Heliocentric model. They would also observe Jupiter and its moons where the less massive bodies are orbiting around the more massive object. They could also observe that the Earth has much less mass than the Sun.

Part of the problem is that for some YEC’s, there is no evidence that would ever convince them.

“No apparent, perceived, or claimed evidence in any field of study, including science, history, and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the clear teaching of Scripture obtained by historical-grammatical interpretation.”–Answers in Genesis

For years, I have been asking YEC’s what features a geologic formation would need in order to falsify YEC. I never really get a meaningful response.

Added in edit:
It is interesting to note that one of Galileo’s greatest frustrations was Geocentrists who refused to look through his telescope and look at the same evidence he was looking at.

“My dear Kepler, I wish that we might laugh at the stupidity of the human herd. What do you have to say about the principal philosophers of this academy who are filled with the stubbornness of an asp and do not want to look at either the planets, the moon or the telescope, even though I have freely and deliberately offered them the opportunity a thousand times? Truly, just as the asp stops its ears, so do these philosophers shut their eyes to the light of truth.”–Galileo Galilei

5 Likes

Good job! I had googled a bit trying to find that paper, but came up empty. I agree, if you reference a paper, especially something not well known, it would be nice to provide a link to look at it. Otherwise, one might assume it is fictitious or misrepresented.
As it is, I am not sure the paper reaches the conclusions the poster here came to. In the abstract, suggests is most often used word, with no firm conclusions reached.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention, Scott Dunn isn’t a YEC but CRS went ahead and published his paper. It would be nice if it wasn’t behind a paywall.

Gutsick Gibbon discusses it in detail here

2 Likes

Hi Kendel, thanks for the question. Classical liberal education is “linguistic and mathematical skills” as in the education of the Greeks and Romans, essentially. My studies involved philosophy as well as the sciences (evolutionary biology, quantum physics, chemistry, etc).

Hello Timothy! Thank you for your long and thoughtful response. I skimmed your response and found a few cases where my quotes have been taken out of their intended context which would make a good exegesis difficult. I will try to elaborate where I believe these occurred. I am not looking for a “gotcha” debate with anyone here. I really am not. That’s why I think it’s important that we be as deliberate as possible in attempting to understand each other.

With that disclaimer aside, let’s get started!

How much filtering did he do of bad data in the PBDB? Using raw PBDB data for an analysis like this is not going to produce reliable results, no matter what the author’s ideas about what this ought to imply.

Yeah. That’s a good question. He did quite a lot of filtering. As noted in the text you quoted, some of his selection involved including only two specimens of the same species in two separate stages adjoined in that geographic region. These two species must be located within 2 degrees longitude/latitude of each other. So that tells you a bit about his methodology, but if you have specific concerns or questions, you can look up his paper on this issue (it’s been linked a few times).

There is still succession of species, whether vertebrates, mollusks, or planktonic foraminifera. This has been known for over 250 years now. Lyell’s definitions of Cenozoic epochs were based on changes in extinction rates of mollusks in European deposits.

Here’s where we begin to delve into some miscontextualizing of my statements. What I wrote here was more general and could be interpreted how you took it, had I not wrote it in the place that I did. To clarify and seek common ground, I agree! I think there are patterns of succession in species within the fossil record. Now, we may come to a disagreement on how that data should be interpreted, but we agree fundamentally nonetheless.

So then what am I attempting to call into question? Simply put the correspondence of mega-sequences (and therefore mass extinctions) and the paleontological record. Dispute that, not something I never claimed.

“Significant” as in beach face or riverine, not tsunamis of boiling mud.

Not what I was referring to here. In the context of hydrological sorting there are high and low energy flows. By significant water force, I mean high-energy. This contrasts with low-energy which is where you will find suspended fine grains.

Many fossils have had that happen, but it is not a requirement.

Right. I should have been clearer with my words. My apologies. Fundamentally, my point still stands.

At every single fossiliferous Cenozoic shallow marine deposit, for a few thousand.

And it should be everywhere, really.

falling into anoxic water, landslides, river floods, changes in sediment type soon after deposition, etc. Also, such fossils are rare, indicating that conditions which would preserve them are also rare.

Show me experiments of this happening. This does not happen with delicate fossils. Allison (1988) demonstrated that anoxia alone is insufficient for long-term preservation. “We’ve never seen it, therefore it may happen” is not an argument. So show me real testable experiments.

That would smash every fossil in the deposits.

False. Again, I cite Bath Enright et al. (2017, 2021) where polychaetes remained intact over flow durations of over 13 miles.

Under conditions that are extremely rare.

Exactly. Now you’re getting it.

I wish I had time today to respond to the rest of your comment. Hopefully, tomorrow I will be able to. I hope you know I greatly respect that you are a deep thinker and you have shown me some good arguments (A few I still have to get to). I hope we can continue to have civil disagreement (even with a little energy). I hope you enjoy this quest to refine our ideas of our world around us. I hope to have my mind changed at some point by something we engage in. I’ll be back in a few days.

Signing off,

Wesley C

The following is from a prior post I made concerning macrofossils.

Let’s delve in to this!

The identifiable geological eras from the Cambrian forward are identifiable by geological characteristics but also by their fossil inclusions.

I want to say, right off the bat, I don’t dispute this. We are in agreement here.

The fossil record displays a general progression from more primitive organisms, extinction boundaries, and sorting of creatures into their associated epochs. This is precisely what would be expected given life evolving over a span of hundreds of millions of years.

What do we mean by more primitive organisms? I would say that’s an assumption you are making. Certainly, from my vantage point, there’s nothing primitive about a trilobite, radiodonts, or jellyfish (Cambrian).

But I can generally understand the underlying logic you are making, which I would say is perfectly coherent within your interpretive framework. So fair enough.

No humans and dinosaur fossils have ever been found together, but that is only the thinnest sliver of the problem. Bear in mind that YEC believes that pretty much every creature that ever lived was present in the days leading to the flood. So we should find not just people with dinosaurs, but trilobites with crabs, dimetrodons with velociraptors, plesiosaurs with whales, triceratops with elephants, pterosaurs with buzzards - one could go on all day.

This is not an issue that is a problem for a creationist catastrophist. I need to quickly outline a few of the assumptions being made on your part here. First, you seem to posit that all fossils remain in the ecological locations. Second, you assume that a flood would mix up fossils in an inconsistent/unsorted fashion. Third, you believe YECs think all creatures that ever lived existed pre-flood (since this is clearly hyperbolic, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and take you to mean that we believe all life present in the fossil record is pre-flood life). Then fourthly, you made many claims about possible explanations for how the sorting could have taken place (all of which being straw man, knocked down as easily as stated).

This is an important area of clash here and, if you want to understand a global flood, these are the right questions you’re asking. I will respond to each assumption and, if you put on my shoes, you will see why I suspect them to be non-issues.

1. Fossils are buried in their ecologies in a flood.

Experimental studies have shown that soft-bodied organisms and fossils can undergo substantial transport in sediment-density flows without significant damage. Polychaetes remained intact over flow durations equivalent to distances up over 13 miles. (Bath Enright et al., 2017, 2021).

What this implies to me is that sediment in turbidity flows could have transported fossils across great distances without disturbing the content of those fossils. In that case, I see no reason to believe that what was buried together lived together. There may be some truth in that claim (I think there certainly is), but there are important exceptions that exclude that claim from being the rule.

1. Fossils would not be sorted in a flood.

Forgive me, I think this claim is rather amusing, just because it is one of the most apparent observations that fossils are sorted and the implication is that this realization ought to de novo preclude creationism. But creationists have thought about this and recognized this since the 60s. Clearly they must have an answer to this, right? Otherwise what are we all doing here?

Forgive my facetiousness. Yes, hydrologic sorting has been known to us for quite some time. Fossils would by necessity be sorted in a flood. Not only is there the fluvial geomorphologic principles of high and low energy sorting course and fine materials, respectively, but there are flash floods that have been observed created suspended loads in turbidity flows. This is not new science (Malmon et al., 2004). In addition, shape affects sorting too. Flume experiments with shell models and valves demonstrated that most objects orient their longest axes across the current, with some exceptions (Brenchley & Newall, 1970). Objects were more easily transported on sand than mud substrates. Water abrasion experiments on bone fragments revealed characteristic differences based on sediment type and bone condition, providing evidence for identifying water transport in fossil associations (Fernández Jalvo, 2003).

All that to say, yes, water sorts fossils. That’s not controversial, I am explicitly using secular sources here for you. I recommend watching a few hydrologic experiments and you will see consistent sorting in real-time.

1. All fossils are pre-flood life

To be generous, you might find a couple creationists (like Tim Clarey) that believe this. It has been a contentious issue in the past. I think it is mostly resolved now. We have (based on NLSSS above and a plethora of geological data which we can get into) established the K/Pg boundary as the correct marker for flood and post-flood sediments. A forum member, Kendel, kindly linked the paper: The Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Creationism (2023) – Page 621

So arguably most of what we see as mammalian in the fossil record were originated from the preserved post-diluvian life.

This actually is relevant to your observation:

There has never been a solitary dinosaur found above the KT boundary, and never a modern mammal from below.

True enough.

The rest of your statement merely affirms those assumptions true, of which I have challenged. So I’ll await a response.

Interesting. My background is in the Liberal Arts as well. However, I would not call it “classical.” This seems to be a marker term. What is the distinction?

If you reference a work, it is your responsibility to give a reasonable citation (Author/s, Title, Date at a minimum), if not a link.

Dutifully. Self-interestedly.

2 Likes

This may be a useful thread to note that the latest Perspectives on Science and Christian Faith has an article about the Coconino Sandstone (https://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2024/PSCF9-24dyn.html but the paywall is for a year).

Wise’s analysis of the PBDB data does not show anything that poses a problem for an old earth; but those data are incompatible with modern creation science claims. As Timothy noted, the PBDB database as a whole has significant problems from incomplete data, limited error checking, and mistakes in data entry. Biodiversity databases in general have not invested in data quality assessment nor in supporting the expertise necessary for that data validation. The main problem for Wise’s effort is that, either through accidental use of the same name for different organisms (for example, the Jurassic Chama striata named by Smith is not the same as the Pleistocene Chama striata named by Emmons) or through excessively broad use of the same name for a range of forms, there are plenty of records that look like the same thing in the PBDB that aren’t actually the same thing. While such mistakes may average out for certain studies, Wise’s specific focus means that those errors may be a significant problem. (A similar problem affects many other uses of PBDB data - don’t trust any molecular clock paper that just got their ages by looking something up in PBDB.)
A more significant problem, however, is that Wise’s data support an evolutionary model rather than one of sequential separate creation. If no species survived across a stage boundary, that would be a total extinction and nothing would be left to evolve into the next set of organisms in God’s sequence of creation. The idea that this somehow contradicts conventional geology is completely wrong. Although the K/T is not the only boundary that shows major extinctions (e.g., Permo-Triassic, Triassic-Jurassic), many of the stage boundaries are quite arbitrary and do not have significant extinctions associated with them. Historically, the different stages and larger geological units were named based on “I think the layers here are different from those elsewhere and deserve a name.” Some of those differences do reflect significant changes in faunas, but others prove to grade into each other as more sites are studied.

Flood geology, on the other hand, should not produce any changes in the kinds of organisms found in different layers from similar environments. There is no challenge to the foundations of sequence stratigraphy. Rather, it is a challenge to the foundations of flood geology. Flood geology claims to be founded on the Bible, but the Bible is quite emphatic about not being false witnesses. False witness is not just deliberate misrepresentation, but also affirming the reliability of something when we don’t really know if it is true. We must not try to be God’s PR agents but His witnesses. Making such a bad argument shows a failure to seriously examine the evidence and think through whether the argument is actually supporting what it claims.

3 Likes

I do not even see why this is apparently a problem. Are you denying that sedimentary deposits in which, as far as i understand it, practically all fossils have been found, are sedimentary?

None of this considers that biblical authenticity is either true or false.
The usual arguments used for not taking only certain parts of the bible literally (specifically those at odds with secular naturalism) simply do not pass the theological or translational stink tests.

A significant New testament example is Christs own statement of Noahs flood and destruction of Sodom and Gomorah.

The absolute fact is this…

A Christian follows the gospel of Christ. If said person (who is also believed by most Christians to be Mighty God and our Creator), tells us a flood killed all life on earth in support of Moses recording of flood in Genesis, then its impossible to believe only bits of Christs ministry…because he was and is God.

There is no way any individual can read Christs statement about the flood and pretend it isnt literal support for Genesis flood account. Anyone doing that is deluding themselves.

How does any TEist honestly reconcile that dilemma? (Please provide direct biblical support for your answer to this)

Hi Kendel, it is very similar to a regular Liberal Arts degree with a great books focus during the Western History lectures.

If you reference a work, it is your responsibility to give a reasonable citation (Author/s, Title, Date at a minimum), if not a link.

This is a forum, not a science journal. I’m no more beholden to cite a paper than you are to respond to me. This is a conversation and if you contest or ask for a source, of course I’ll give you one. Just don’t be rude about it. Thank you, kindly.

I do not know what “this” you are referring to.

What on Earth??? No, I am denying that sedimentary deposits came from a global flood. There is sediment being deposited right now, and currently there is no global flood.

Yes, because the topic is “Flood Geology Cannot Explain Sedimentary Formations”. There is another current thread, “Is the Bible Inerrant”, where comments on Biblical authenticity are being discussed.

3 Likes

Wise’s analysis of the PBDB data does not show anything that poses a problem for an old earth

That’s a very vague assertion.

As Timothy noted, the PBDB database as a whole has significant problems from incomplete data, limited error checking, and mistakes in data entry.

This is a very strange critique which is actually not founded on any evidence. This looks like it is just a means of casually dismissing a source you don’t like. Fossilworks and other databases get their data from The Paleobiology Database. It’s the most up-to-date database and the fossils that make it in are via published papers which are reviewed.

The main problem for Wise’s effort is that, either through accidental use of the same name for different organisms (for example, the Jurassic Chama striata named by Smith is not the same as the Pleistocene Chama striata named by Emmons) or through excessively broad use of the same name for a range of forms, there are plenty of records that look like the same thing in the PBDB that aren’t actually the same thing.

I’m getting tired of the creationists are stupid argument. It’s a pretty bad argument, especially when there are consistent failures to grasp what actual research is being done. This is a good reason to actually not give sources. I guarantee you, you have not spent enough time to understand that paper’s arguments, yet you have a haughty conviction of its mortal error.

Flood geology, on the other hand, should not produce any changes in the kinds of organisms found in different layers from similar environments. There is no challenge to the foundations of sequence stratigraphy. Rather, it is a challenge to the foundations of flood geology. Flood geology claims to be founded on the Bible, but the Bible is quite emphatic about not being false witnesses.

I hear you all saying the flood shouldn’t sort fossils. I hear it. I just wonder why you think that? Because I think that’s probably the least interesting argument I’ve heard against the flood model. The heat problem is interesting. Let’s talk about real issues with the flood model. This is a non-issue. There are so many papers on this. This communicates to me you have not looked into this at all. Which I don’t care, really. It doesn’t affect me personally.

And I am perfectly okay with whatever interpretation of Genesis you have. I wouldn’t say this should be a Biblical issue. I would say, my interpretation of Genesis respects the text and doesn’t add to it. It’s a good exegesis. That may be true for yours as well. That’s not pertinent to our conversation and to suggest I am acting as God’s PR agent and that I’m failing to seriously examine the evidence.

I’m sorry, your response was so uncharitable. And I don’t feel the desire to resubmit points I have made already in this forum. Read them and get back to me and show people you disagree with a little more respect. Thanks.

They would both observe stellar parallax which is predicted by the Heliocentric model. They would also observe Jupiter and its moons where the less massive bodies are orbiting around the more massive object. They could also observe that the Earth has much less mass than the Sun.

You missed the point. On top of that, you somehow proved my point. Stellar parallax does have the assumptions of Heliocentrism and one with a separate view would interpret that data differently. But going back to my point. Use the data that Copernicus had. It was not wholly greater than that of Ptolemy. In fact, the Ptolemaic model was easy to use for navigation (and persists to this day) and was extremely rigorous. What really set Copernicus apart? Well, for one he argued his interpretation was simpler. On another count, more beautiful. On a third, it gave more glory to God. The Copernican revolution was one away from static bureaucracy and institutionalism and reoriented towards God.

Part of the problem is that for some YEC’s, there is no evidence that would ever convince them.

That idea is wholly part of human nature. There are people in every camp that will refuse to be convinced of the other side. But be honest. What evidence would convince you of YEC?

For years, I have been asking YEC’s what features a geologic formation would need in order to falsify YEC. I never really get a meaningful response.

If the Tapeats was an Aeolian sandstone, that would certainly be a chink in the armor. Thomas Kuhn talks about paradigms in his book The Structure Of Scientific Revolutions. On take away is that the changing of one’s perspective involves a lot of gradual accumulation of anomalies.

Isn’t it amazing that everyone refuses to see reality through everyone else’s worldview? It’s a question that never been asked before.

But it’s not part of the scientific method. Scientists should be convinced of the other side if the other side provides evidence that is of a satisfactory quality—but only if the other side provides evidence of a satisfactory quality. And “satisfactory quality” isn’t something entirely subjective here. There are objective, measurable criteria that can be used to determine quality (e.g. size of sample, size of error bars, mathematical integrity, consistency etc).

And it’s not hard to come up with examples of things that should convince people that the earth is young if we were to see them. The only problem is that we don’t.

We discussed that on another thread here:

No, it’s a perfectly reasonable request. Reading and responding to forum posts takes time, and if you can provide clear, easily accessible sources for your claims, you will be showing a lot of respect to your readers. It also makes you look more honest and credible.

2 Likes

I posit that all fossils are found in sediment contemporary with their sojourn.

Yes. I have not seen any plausible sorting mechanism for a global flood.

At the level of “kind”, that would seem to be the case.

That is not so much controversial as wrong. The following from Science and Creationism: A View from the National Academy of Sciences, bold mine.

Nor is there any evidence that the entire geological record, with its orderly succession of fossils, is the product of a single universal flood that occurred a few thousand years ago, lasted a little longer than a year, and covered the highest mountains to a depth of several meters. On the contrary, intertidal and terrestrial deposits demonstrate that at no recorded time in the past has the entire planet been under water. Moreover, a universal flood of sufficient magnitude to form the sedimentary rocks seen today, which together are many kilometers thick, would require a volume of water far greater than has ever existed on and in Earth, at least since the formation of the first known solid crust about 4 billion years ago. The belief that Earth’s sediments, with their fossils, were deposited in an orderly sequence in a year’s time defies all geological observations and physical principles concerning sedimentation rates and possible quantities of suspended solid matter.

There is no plausible global flood mechanism by which Theropods are sorted with Duckbills, and Mammoths are found with Saber Tooth Cats, but Dimetrodons, Ankylosaurs, and bears are not found together despite similar size and shape. That is not a strawman. Despite working on this from the 60s, creationists are no further ahead.

Continent crossing tsunami’s are fictitious. Waves quickly smear out, trailing their water in their wake, and expend their energy. According to the National Centers for Environmental Information, the most severe modern tsunami’s innudated less than a dozen kilometers. Some prehistoric events might have reached 25 kilometers. Even the Chicxulub tsunami would have been a largely coastal affair. Waves thundering over the Himalayas is strictly FX. But…

to have continent crossing waves would represent cosmic scale energies which are simply unavailable. But if they were, by virtue of such power they would smash everything in their path like the kill zone of a nuclear blast, and scatter the parts all over kingdom come, well before any recession phase.

2 Likes

Please take it the way I intend, not as rudeness. The cultural norm in this forum is to include citations or links to works one references. There is no “rule” except courtesy and openness.

There was at least one question above regarding Wise’s methods with the data. Because Wise’s piece was important to your post, it is important that people with questions about it can check the source themselves.

Many of the frequent participants here are professional scientists. It is good practice and basic courtesy to them, or any other reader, to cite the source so they can evaluate the author’s work for themselves.

I am not among the scientists. However, I did want to look at the abstract, look at his methods, see if he explains his choice of geographic location, etc. As a librarian, I am also interested in the context in which Wise’s piece exists, which is rich in the overall conference proceedings and tells me a great deal.

Thanks for your clarification on “classical.”

3 Likes

Who keeps liking posts that misunderstand what they are responding too? Does not that individual realise that is a rather silly thing to do? (ie blindly liking without actually reading and comprehending first?)

My point about sedimentary deposits should be self explanatory…the point is, given fossils are found all around the world IN SEDIMENTARY deposits…

i would suggest that the most likely cause of sedimentary deposit, where it has occurred rapidly enough to kill animals that are still engaged in daily activities such as in the process of eating (we have numerous examples of animals dying whilst eating), would be water transport and deposition.

So given that so many fossils are found in sedimentary deposits, and these are most likely as a result of water…well that supports the biblical flood model. All of the theories that focus on only supporting naturalistic claims…that does not detract from biblical support. I mean lets face it, even secularists conclude that an asteroid impact off the coast of Mexico caused massive tsunamis that flooded large regions across the US. They also claim other events such as that one have occurred elsewhere and that these are responsible for similar sedimentary deposits elsewhere around the world. There is a modern scientific theory that claims that these asteroids were first ejected from this earth and fell back to its surface causing that impact and those psunamis! Ive already posted a thread about that (although most here probably cant bring themselves to even bother reading it (which is no surprise). I criticise the individuals here for staying completely silent on Verneshot theory…obviously this theory is highly problematic for the pre existing naturalism views here.

Going back to Noahs flood and whether or not its a literal event…

If Christ (God) said the following:
Matt24:38,39 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark,and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away"

then a Christian either chooses to agree with Gods own statement, or deny it (I don’t see an in-between option there). Denying it is to deny one is Christian (and that’s because one does not believe what Christ has said!)

In response to your last statement…i refuse to allow errant theology to be isolated into a thread unrelated to misleading Christian eaders about the issues here. A Christian forum (this is a Christian forum is it not?), must adhere to the roots of Christianity…ie that Christ, God, lived among us, taught us, and gave us the gospel.

Whether or not one is capable of developing appropriate theology for this, the gospel is not simply “do unto others…”, its far bigger than that. It is inclusive of the entire bible (Old and New Testaments) because Christ himself often quoted Old Testament writings in his teachings. the Old Testament is paramount in the gospel because it forms the history of Christ even being on this earth in the first place “to pay the wages of sin is death” (ie make atonement for sin). Its such a white lie to only focus on the resurrection…the fact modern sunday worshiping evangelicals also throw out the Seventh Day Sabbath should raise red flags all over the place, particularly in light of the fact the 4th commandment also says “in six days God created the heavens and the earth”!

John in the Book of Revelation (written in the late first century whilst on the isle of Patmos), writes the following in Ch 14:12
12Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

This verse quite simply means at the end of time (just before the second coming of Christ) a saint is a person who has two qualities:

1. Keeps the commandments of God (ie 10 commandments) AND
  2. Has the Gospel (Testimony of Jesus)

Since John wrote this whilst in vision almost 30 years after the apostle Paul had been beheaded in approx AD 64, i have to make the claim that Johns authority supersedes Pauls (because John’s is the later revelation given in the 90’s)!

therefore the evangelical claim that only part 2 of the above is required for salvation is simply false…Johns statement in Revelation 14:12 categorically proves its a false understanding of what the apostle Paul taught.

Finally,

not a single follower of Christ on this earth will ever be saved by or through science…not a single one! So no amount of science proofs makes any difference. If one is only Christian because their religion aligns with science, then one has deluded oneself into believing human moral reasoning (because of Christs statement in Matthew 24) Samuel already addresses that when he said to King Saul, “to obey is better than to sacrifice”!

1 Like

It is based on personal experience–ask anyone who has expertise in a taxon and/or fauna, and they will either 1. Be the person who fixed the data in PBDB from being error-filled, or 2. Wish they had time to make the data in PBDB better.

That’s true, but it still isn’t good at error-checking. It has data from 200-year old papers that hasn’t been updated, homonyms that have been conflated (like Chama striata Smith and C. striata Emmons), misidentifications inherited from papers, novel misspellings, etc., etc.

Yes, but I know enough about the layers that I work on to know that PBDB is not a good source for learning about their faunas.

The argument is that “using PBDB data is not a good way to do this type of study”, not “the person doing this study is stupid”. I have seen dozens of papers that got bad results because of using PBDB data with inadequate error-checking.

The problem is not that it shouldn’t sort fossils, it’s that it shouldn’t sort them in the patterns observed. For instances, a global flood should not consistently separate Chesapecten jeffersonius and Carolinapecten solarioides into different layers, as they lived in similar habitats and are similar shapes and sizes. What it should sort by is something like size or depth range, which bear almost no resemblance to patterns in fossil deposits as a whole. Completely un-size sorted deposits with repeated ups and downs in sea level (based on physiological requirements, sediment type, and stable isotope ratios) cannot have been moved after deposition significantly, nor deposited during a single flood event.

4 Likes

That wasn’t a “creationists are stupid” argument. He was pointing out that Kurt Wise was dealing with matters that are easy to get wrong, difficult to get right, and borderline impossible for anyone to check who isn’t an expert in the subject. Even very smart and meticulous people make that kind of mistake, which is why you shouldn’t rely on that kind of data to overturn established science, and certainly not science that has been established for more than 150 years.

3 Likes