First Human or First King? The Introduction of Adam in the Eden Narrative

I don’t take the story literally at all. I think it’s purely fictional. But within the myth , there is a story. I don’t take the film Killer Klowns from Outer Space literally at all but I can still state that within the story that the clowns turned people into this bloody cotton candy. So I’m not taking anything literally. Im just saying what I see in the fictional story.

I don’t think Adam and Eve is real. I don’t think Cain and Abel, or Seth is real. I don’t think the snake in the garden is real. But I can say in the story it only mentions three sons and the last son was a a replacement for the second son who was killed by the first and no other kids are mentioned. I can still point out why it would make no sense for Cain to take his wife from among his sisters in the story. Or point out it makes nonsense that they all wanted to stay around Eden and Cain was only cast out and sent away by force. He did not want to leave. He was scared too. So why would other siblings have left without being forced? I’m saying within the story it seems to be the logical conclusion that other humans existed. Just because Adam and Eve potentially is symbolic for human life does not change their story in the myth.

In Romero’s “ Living Dead “ series the zombies represent blind consumerism. That’s the symbolism for them but within the narrative itself, they are the living dead. By me pointing out the aspects of the story does not mean I take it literally.

I think it’s blatantly obvious within the story other humans exist. I don’t think OS is real or even hinted at. You seem to not be convinced that’s the case. You even think I’m taking it to literally, and i think I’m the furthered from thinking it’s literal and felt that maybe you were taking it to literally.

I think G1&2 are both separate unrelated stories that was set side by side. Not edited together as a single story.

Sure it does. The document was compiled into its final form by authors/editors who had no clue of early human history. Their story in the myth, along with the genealogies (Sumerian King List), Noah/the Flood (Gilgamesh) and the Tower of Babel (Vanstiphout, the invention of writing & the Spell of Nudimud) are all part of a package. Drawing a logical conclusion about natural history from a mythological text is a shaky foundation.

I don’t take the story literally either. But I see no good reason not to take it as historical, i.e. stories about real people and real events passed down in oral traditions before they were written down. I am just not going to believe it is about golems of dust and bone, magical fruit, and talking animals. But that is only because I do take it as historical rather than fictional. I would never suggest that Narnia, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter didn’t have any magic or talking animals. So I see the Bible as using symbolism for abstract ideas.

Which means you don’t have to connect it to reality at all and there is no reason not to put it with Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. We can discuss what lessons any of these books have for real life without expecting any of it to make any sense. But this greatly diminishes the significance of the story in Christianity and consequently takes a hack saw to the value and meaning of Christianity as well. I don’t think this is justified. There is simply no reason to go that far. Natural history doesn’t say a thing about individual people who existed in times before written history

Agreed.

I don’t think this is any more helpful than discussion about whether God exists. The far more meaningful question is what are they. What is God that does exist and what is original sin which does exist? It is only true that some notions of OS is not in the story and certainly incorrect that no kind of OS cannot be found in the story.

Again…. I don’t take it literal, and don’t draw anything historical about it.

It was compiled and edited together, not as a flowing story, but two unrelated traditions. Just like 1 Samuel 16&17. It’s not like the gospels where it’s the same story told by different people.

So I think it’s so overwhelming obvious the myth is contains references to people outside of Adam and Eve , who were outside of the garden. It’s the only logical way I see it. I am even more convinced after this discussion. But I’m bouncing from the convo because childish to me at this point to continue it.

That’s a common approach in ancient near eastern literature: take a historical kernel that’s commonly known and mythologize it to make it about something greater.
Though your disparagement using terms such as “golems of dust and bone” and “magical” fruit are both unnecessary and miss the point. That “dust and bone” part speaks of two things, the personal attention of the deity and the mortality of human life. The fruit isn’t magical anyway, it’s sacramental – something physical (and ordinary) with a ‘divine word’ attached to it. Nothing in the text actually says this wasn’t one of the regular fruit trees, it was just set off with a ‘boundary’ because there was a divine word linked to it.
I think I’ve addressed the “talking animal” bit before; it may have been an actual serpent ‘possessed’ by a divine being – the term can be rendered as “shining one” – or even a divine being taking the appearance of a serpent; either way, it’s far more than just a “talking animal”.

Good point! It can be mythologized history, it may be a summary archetypal story about all early humans, but if it isn’t anchored somehow in this world then the connection to this world becomes tenuous at best.

It doesn’t help that Augustine used " peccatum originale" in three different ways that I can discern: inherited sin with the guilt attached; inherited tendency to sin (and mortality); the initial sin. At the very least the last is meant by the text, but mortality can be argued from the concept of Adam being made from dust and isn’t necessarily attached to this, a tendency to sin is probably there, but the idea that “in Adam we have all been one / one huge rebellious man”, as an old, old hymn puts it, rests on a model of fall/condemnation and redemption that just isn’t there even in the first millennium of the church.

Except I Samuel 16 & 17 don’t contradict each other! Compared to the differences between the two opening stories in Genesis, the problems in Samuel are grammar-school level.

Sorry I missed this yesterday. I wish you wouldn’t paint yourself into such an all-or-nothing interpretive corner. It’s the same thing YEC does. You’re obviously coming from the opposite direction, so no shade. Just an observation.

Right.

Sure. I’d suggest it was no different for the authors/editors of the Pentateuch, as well as Paul and the Patriarchs of the church. All of them wrote from the perspective of the current “science” (natural philosophy) of their time. That’s @DOL’s point in his book on ancient science in the Bible, although I don’t recall if he addresses the NT or early church.

Understanding any text starts with understanding the genre and historical context of its composition (or final form). The choice isn’t necessarily between science or fantasy. Many truths aren’t scientific truths, and if you’re a fan of fantasy, you know that genre reveals truths about the human condition too. I’d suggest Genesis reveals deeper truths than Tolkien, Lewis, or L’Engle, because our truly existential questions aren’t (and can’t be) answered by science.

Ask yourself: what sort of question are you asking? Is it a question about the physical world or natural history? Then the proper place to start is with history and the natural sciences. Everyone who has tried answering such questions by starting with the biblical text and reaching “logical conclusions” from there has failed miserably at applying those notions to “reality.” To be more specific, both you and @SkovandOfMitaze disavow literal interpretation, but you both start with your interpretation of Gen. 4 and assume history matches that evidence. Genesis 1-11 isn’t intended to answer questions of science or history. I think we can all agree to that. What I’m trying to point out is you guys are cherry-picking a few verses as “historical” and hanging your hats on an inference made from a mythological text.

Perhaps consider that Cain and Abel weren’t literal, historical individuals, and Cain’s worries about people “east of Eden” are no more historical than the claim that Cain was the first builder of the first city (10,000+ yrs ago), yet the origin of stringed instruments and pipes comes five generations later in his lineage. Here’s a pic of a Neanderthal bone flute from 60,000 years ago.

Regarding psychology, I don’t disagree. The biblical authors were keen observers of the human psyche. That’s why I argue that Gen 2-3 traces the path of human moral development from childish ignorance (innocence) to moral maturity. I trace that scientific path first, then make metaphorical connections to human evolution. Quoting myself:

In his 1932 classic, The Moral Development of the Child, Jean Piaget studied
children of various ages playing games and concluded that the younger ones
regarded rules “as sacred and untouchable, emanating from adults and lasting
forever. Every suggested alteration strikes the child as a transgression.”87 This
matches quite well the attitude of many interpreters toward the command not to
eat from the Tree of Knowledge. The first humans should have accepted it without
question, obeyed it and, presumably, lived forever in paradise. But is unquestioned
acceptance of the rule truly a mature moral choice? That condition belongs to the
state of childhood.

Updating Piaget’s work, developmental psychologist William Kay observed,
“A young child is clearly controlled by authoritarian considerations, while an adolescent
is capable of applying personal moral principles. The two moralities are
not only clearly distinct but can be located one at the beginning and the other at
the end of a process of moral maturation.”88

Not really. It’s more about alienation from God and reconciliation in Christ, and I actually think there’s plenty of room for your theory of sin as “habit” in scripture and the historical record. After all, do any of us remember our own first “morally culpable” sin, or is it a fuzzy line between childhood and adolescence? I just don’t agree with your either/or.

It also makes no sense in Genesis 2 that the animals are created and named by ha’adam before the woman is created. It makes no sense that the woman is sentenced to pain in childbirth, which appeared with big brains, bipedalism and narrower hips around 600,000 years ago, and the man is sentenced to agricultural labor, which appeared around 12,000 years ago.

We’re talking about plot holes and anachronisms in a highly condensed, ancient text. It’s no more historical than a global flood or people living 900 years.

Nah. It’s blatantly obvious that the story is mythological, so we can’t extrapolate from that to actual history. Did the Nephilim actually exist? They blatantly do within the text.

There’s evidence of an editor bringing them together into a single overarching story, which is the repeated refrain of “toledot.”

Israel’s oral traditions couldn’t be written down until Hebrew became a written language in the Iron Age. What sort of time lapse are we talking? 10,000 years? Here’s an interesting popular science piece on the subject:

What are the limits of such ancient memories? For what length of time can knowledge be transferred within oral societies before its essence becomes irretrievably lost? Under optimal conditions, as suggested by science-determined ages for events recalled in ancient stories, orally shared knowledge can demonstrably endure more than 7,000 years, quite possibly 10,000, but probably not much longer.

There are known instances going much further than that article cites:

1 Like

Interesting. Do you have a reference? That’s such an outlier that I’m immediately suspicious, like with recent controversial claims of H. naledi intentional burial and graphic marks. I’ve had some correspondence with Australian anthropologists. Curious who authored it. I’ll check back tomorrow.

I think the idea was that after a while they would have gone to God eventually and asked, “So what’s the deal with this one tree? Why is it off limits?”

“These are the generations of” is a common refrain in ancient near eastern origins stories. Usually they involve “the gods”, but Genesis makes some twists to that.

What I see as tying the first two stories together is the theme of a temple: the Creation account fits the genre of “temple inauguration”, and then the Eden account takes the idea further in that God sets apart a certain land as special to Him and thus a temple, and within it establishes a garden, which was something in ancient near eastern mythologies where the gods and their priest(-kings) would mingle. So the Creation account establishes that the entire Earth is God’s Temple, and the Eden account outs a temple within a temple, making it human-scale rather than divine-scale.

1 Like

I’ve heard it cited, but wasn’t given a reference for it. It might be possible that some of the memory comes from seeing bones more recently and knowing “this looks like a kangaroo skeleton, but bigger” or “this looks like a lizard, but bigger”.

1 Like

One source of information may be tracks, if fossil tracks are preserved. I read a claim that Bushmen in Africa could draw more realistic pictures of dinosaurs than former Europeans, simply because the Bushmen were extremely skilled at reading tracks. When they saw fossil tracks of dinosaurs, combined with the experience they had from tracking living animals, they could infer what the animals leaving the fossil tracks looked like.

3 Likes