Feedback on Discourse System (Please Respond)

It would be great to be able to access old conversations from years ago. I hope BL didn’t trash them.

@Mervin_Bitikofer it’s a bug in the system that doesn’t close old topics. I’m working on it. I agree it’s not healthy.

@beaglelady comments before January of 2015 on the old website are gone. Sorry! It’s because they were on a completely different system on a completely different website. There’s no good way to bring them over.

OK, thanks for letting us know.

One thing you can do if you want to revive an old discussion or reply to a blog post after the response window is hover over “reply” on a closed topic and you will see on the right an option to “reply as linked topic.” Clicking on this will pull over the post you are replying to as a quote in a new thread. You name the new topic, type your response, and post it. If you want to increase your chances that the people originally involved in the conversation read your new contribution you can @ the people in your new thread.

Good to know. Thanks.

Even after all these years, these forums change enough to keep us on our toes and learning all the little treasures to find right alongside new visitors. It does all add up to a lot of good changes from where I remember it used to be. Thank you for all your good work.

@BradKramer I haven’t contributed lately but that’s mostly due to life stuff. (Yay for a 7 month old who decided that today was a good day to start at 5 am…) Anyway, still stopping by a couple times a week when I can.

I love the preview screen and the ease of quoting articles and commentators. Also, the tone is very positive and, I think, welcoming. YEC folks are definitely the minority and when they comment they can count on a flurry of responses. Perhaps they see things differently, but my perception is that those responses are respectful and honest attempts to engage in productive conversation.

The moderator’s use of emoji’s?? :wink: Actually, my one quibble worth mentioning is the way replies show up on a thread. It can be difficult to follow a particular conversation when replies do not visually cue which response they are referring to. In other words, I scroll through a conversation and comments appear out of nowhere requiring me to check the opposite side of the post to link back to a previous post and then I’m trying to sort which reply goes to which reply. Not impossible, not even that difficult, just mildly frustrating. I’m not sure if you can do it which this software but I’ve found that a slight indent helps keeps easy to follow.

Otherwise, I’m still enjoying the site!

Jim

Welcome back, @jlock! You were missed. Hope baby is well. Congrats! :baby::baby_bottle::smile:

darn…

I agree that the system can be mildly confusing. I don’t think there’s a “silver bullet” way to make online conversations more manageable. The more typical “threaded” approach (on reddit, for instance) is also very difficult to follow in many instances—in my opinion, even more difficult.

However, our system does have some neat tools to help make things less confusing. First if you click on the button on the top corner of a post that looks like an arrow pointing to someone’s avatar, it shows you which post a person is replying to. This also works for block quotes, if you click the buttons in the grey box.

And then, of course, is the problem of people going off-topic or not using the buttons correctly. We’re working on that!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.