False choices - faith or science

As a sample of his work from his NT intro, here is what Brown writes in chapter 25 of his Intro to the NT:

PSEUDONYMITY AND THE DEUTEROPAULINE WRITINGS

Before we enter the problematic terrain of deuteroPauline letters, i.e., those that bear Paul’s name but possibly were not written by him, let us discuss the difficult concept of pseudepigraphy (literally, but often misleadingly, “false writing”) or pseudonymity (“false name”)1-terminology employed in bibli­ cal discussions with special nuance.

(A) Pseudonymous Composition in General

It may be clearer here to speak of “writer” rather than “author.” Normally, for us, “author” means not simply the one responsible for the ideas contained in a work but the one who actually drafted its wording. Ancients were often not that precise and by “author” may have meant only the authority behind a work. We are not totally unfamiliar with such a distinction, for we encoun­ter the phenomenon of “ghost-writers,” particularly in the instance of entertainers who wish to write an autobiography but need the help of a skilled writer to cast their story in a correct or attractive way. Now more frequently, however, even a ghost-writer has to be acknowledged in the form of “The Autobiography of John/Jane Doe with the cooperation (or assistance) of John Smith.” That phenomenon is close to one ancient use of scribes (p. 4 1 1 above) and may be encountered in a genuine Pauline letter if Paul dictated the ideas and someone like Silvanus phrased them in writing. It is not what scholars mean by pseudonymity in reference to the NT works.

Unfortunately some confuse pseudonymous compositions (works that claim to be written by someone who did not write them) with anonymous compositions (works that do not identify by name their writer), especially in the instance where the writer has been externally identified. The Gospels, for instance, are anonymous; they do not identify their authors (see, however, John 2 1 :24); the attributions to Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John that appear in titles stem from the (late?) 2d century and are not part of the original works. Anonymous too are Acts, Heb, and I John (ll-Ill John claim to be written by '“the presbyter”). The pseudonymous works of the NT, i.e., those whose very wording identifies an author who may not have composed them, are ll Thess, Col, Eph, I-II Tim, Titus, Jas, I-ll Pet, and Jude. (The self-identification of the author is not reasonably disputed in the seven Pauline letters already discussed and in Rev [the prophet John].) In this Chapter I am leaving aside books not accepted into the biblical canon (Appendix II below).

586 §25. Pseudonymity and DeuteroPauline Writings

Modem readers also encounter writing under an alias or pen name, a method adopted for various reasons. In the 19th century Mary Anne Evans wrote under the male name George Eliot because it was difficult for women to get serious writing accepted. In the 20th century more than one author of mysteries has written under several names, sometimes with a particular fictional detective featured respectively by each "name;’ e.g., John Dickson Carr and Carter Dickson are names for the one male author; Ruth Rendell and Barbara Vine are names for the one female author. Writing under an alias is objectionable when deception is intended (e.g., composing a new Sherlock Holmes story and selling it as a recently discovered, unpublished original by Arthur Conan Doyle) but not when one is publicly continuing to write in the style of the now defunct original author (e.g., Sherlock Holmes scripts used in movies featuring him active during World War II).

In NT research some who first proposed that letters attributed to Paul were really pseudonymous hinted that the purpose might be fraudulent, but that connotation has largely disappeared from the discussion.2 Most often what is being suggested is that one of the Pauline “school” of disciples took it upon himself to write a letter in Paul’s name because he wanted it to be received authoritatively as what Paul would say to the situation addressed. Such a situation makes sens’e if one supposes that Paul was dead and the disciple considered himself an authoritative interpreter of the apostle whose thought he endorsed. Attribution of the letter to Paul in those circumstances would not be using a false name or making a false claim that Paul wrote the letter. It would be treating Paul as the author in the sense of the authority behind a letter that was intended as an extension of his thought-an assump­ tion of the great apostle’s mantle to continue his work. Indeed, such attribu­ tion could serve to continue the apostle’s presence, since letters were consid­ ered a substitute for personal face-to-face conversation (J. D. Quinn, ABO 6.564). Mutatis mutandis the same may be said of other proposed instances of NT pseudonymity: Those who considered themselves in the school of James (of Jerusalem), or of Peter may have written letters in their author­ ity’s name.

Justification for positing this type of pseudepigraphy is found in the OT.

Books of law written 700 or 800 years after Moses’ time were written in his name since he was the great lawgiver. Psalms (even those with titles attribut­ ing them to others) were collected in a Davidic psalter since David was famed as a composer of psalms or songs. A book like Wisdom written in Greek ca. 100 Be was attributed to Solomon, who had lived 800 years before, since he was the wise man par excellence. Prophets in the school of Isaiah continued writing 200 years after the prophet’s death and had their composi­tions included in the Book of Isaiah. Apocalypses, both canonical and non­ canonical, tended to invoke the name of famous figures from the past (Dan­iel, Baruch, Enoch, Ezra) as seers of the visions now being narrated, long after their lifetime. In the centuries just before and after Jesus’ time pseud­epigraphy seems to have been particularly frequent even in Jewish works of a nonapocalyptic nature: the Prayer of Nabonidus, Odes of Solomon, Psalms of Solomon.

(B) Problems about Pseudonymity

True as all that may be, when we posit the pseudonymous character of NT works (as I shall), difficulties remain that should not be overlooked; and readers are asked to keep them in mind in the next Chapters. I have cited OT examples of pseudonymity where centuries separated the person from the writings; consequently they are not really parallel to works written within a few years of Paul’s life. We speak of disciples of Paul or adherents to the Pauline school of thought as pseudonymous writers, but we do not know their precise identity. (Silvanus, Timothy, Titus, and even Luke have been suggested for the various works). How close did one have to be to the historical Paul to write in his name? At times was it simply a matter of know­ ing Paul’s writings and using an earlier letter as a basis for further composi­ tion? (That suggestion has been made to explain the writing of II Thess in dependence on I Thess, and of Eph in dependence on Col.) Some scholars would date the Pastorals to AD 125 or later when Paul would have been dead a half century or three quarters. How long after the master’s death could one still claim authority to write in his name, especially when other Christian writers of the postapostolic generation were writing in their own names? How are canonical pseudonymous works different from apocrypha written in the name of NT figures but rejected by the church as noncanonical?6

588 §25. Pseudonymity and DeuteroPauline Writings

Is the audience (church) addressed to be taken as historical? For instance, if pseudonymous, was II Thess written to the church at Thessalonica as I Thess was, or did the writer simply copy that address since he was using I Thess as a guide for his motif? How in the l st century would a wider audience have received a letter seemingly addressed to the problems of the church at Thessalonica? Did the audience who first received a pseudony­ mous letter know that it was actually written by another in Paul’s name? Would the letter’s authority have been diminished if that were known? Did the writer think that such knowledge made any difference? (II Pet makes the author’s apostolic identity of key importance, e.g., 1 : 1 6.) Would the later church have accepted these letters into the canon had it known they were pseudonymous?? The percentage of scholarly opinion holding that the writer was not the claimant varies for each work, and so there remains the obliga­ tion to ask and answer the question: What difference does a decision on the question of pseudepigraphy make in how this letter/epistle is understood?

What are the criteria for determining genuineness and pseudonymity? They include internal data, format, style, vocabulary, and thought/theology.8 Already on pp. 4 1 1 , 498, 55 1 above we saw some problems with these crite­ ria; but since scholarship is almost evenly divided on whether Paul wrote II Thess, we can test them more practically in the next Chapter.

3 Likes

That’s well written by Brown and I can respect where he is coming from. There was once a time where I read large portions of Guthrie’s NT Introduction, but I found that I really didn’t have the memory to make that reading profitable. I prefer listening to people if possible. What I like about Keener, is that while he shows sincere appreciation for the difficulties with the text, he also has a testimony I can relate to. I think the NT has guidelines for discerning teachers this way, even as they were able to be the Church without an established canon.

1 Like

Thanks Vinnie. That puts a lot into perspective. However, it still causes me discomfort when my church background has always put the authorship of those books as having been written by the traditional authors. That discomfort is similar to what I see with YEC adherents learning that what their church has said about science simply is not true, and thus casts doubt on the gospel.
Do you think that we (Christianity in general, evangelical Christianity in particular) should be more up front with the authorship and the process of canonization? Of course, that is not likely to happen due to the burden of inerrancy.

2 Likes

Dietrich deals more fairly, thanks.

This reminds me of how I was once so unsettled by critical scholarship that I determined to merely read the NT as the work of early believers, and yet I still felt drawn to the words in a special way.

“If we desire to provide in the best way for our consciences—that they may not be perpetually beset by the instability of doubt or vacillation, and that they may not also boggle at the smallest quibbles—we ought to seek our conviction in a higher place than human reasons, judgments, or conjectures, that is, in the secret testimony of the Spirit.”

Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion

1 Like

What, pray tell, is absurd about it?

Languages and genres may be different but there are still common principles by which they operate. There are also common principles by which methodologies in general operate, and one of those principles is that if you want to establish that your methodology works, you need to test it against something of known provenance. It’s called “having a control.”

Try Tolkien. The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. They are not only the same genre by the same author, but they are about the same fantasy world. But as @Daniel_Fisher pointed out in the thread to which I linked:

I appreciate the other points that you’ve been making. There are other lines of evidence that we can and should take into account. But my whole point is that literary criticism of any form is not an exact science like physics, chemistry, geology or test-driven software development. It is a humanities subject, and as such it concerns the vagaries of humans and other living beings. This being the case, things aren’t going to be quite as black-and-white as when you type computer code into Visual Studio and then run a suite of tests to make sure that it does what you expect it to do. It will be a lot harder to establish just how reliable your conclusions are for starters.

Or to put it another way. For each of the epistles in the New Testament that are ascribed to Paul that are disputed by scholars, what confidence level can you assign to the thesis that Paul had nothing whatsoever to do with them? And how, precisely, can you calculate that confidence level?

3 Likes

Hi Phil,

Yes, the situation is very comparable. Any major paradigm shift in our thinking about the Bible is going to be difficult. And I think this should help us be cognizant and patient. It might even cause us to have a bit of humility. How many of us were strongly convinced of something in life we no longer believe? Dare I say almost everyone. I research a lot and my views change as I encounter new evidence. Its frustrating at times but if they didn’t I don’t think I would be an honest researcher.

I am not sure. Labels in today’s world are difficult because evangelicals are increasingly becoming open to Biblical criticism and are more and more a mixed bag. My comments are almost always against the “inerrancy” variety. I think it is the conservative apologists, who are just awful at history and critical thinking, arguing for canonization, that mess things up. How many conservatives are there that will argue the notion Paul didn’t write all 13 letters is very bad on historical grounds but at the same time claim they can historically prove the resurrection or claim a man rising from the dead is more historically probably than not based on the surviving record? It’s clear the blinders are on and confirmation bias rules the day with this crowd.

I think the authorship question is tied in because most of critical scholarship squarely believes the gospels were anonymous. The evidence for affirming traditional authorship just isn’t there and there and to be quite honest, most of it speaks against it.

My thoughts on this whole situatiuon would be as follows. I don’t think the Bible is inerrant. It’s good enough to serve God’s purposes. I don’t think the textual preservation of the Bible was perfect. It is very uncertain in places and very much altered in others. I think it’s good enough to serve God’s purposes. The extant canonical version may be the inspired form anyways, not the original work. I don’t think the canonization process was perfect. Some books got in under false pretenses and that means some others that didn’t make it might need to be rethought. I think Didache, 1 Clement and the Sheperd of Hermas should be appended to our Bibles as at least deuterocanonical Christian writings given how much the church got wrong. Some of these books were very widely used by the early church and 1 Clement is probably a first century work pre-dating a few NT works.

At the end of the day the Bible we have is good enough to serve God’s purposes. That is all I have. My faith in the Bible is not faith in the human preservation or historical arguments, just belief that God would not have let the church go entirely astray.

I ditch inerrancy across every spectrum of scripture (including textual preservation and canonization). I don’t see it anywhere and I think the evidence is vastly against it. God is just not even remotely concerned with the inerrancy of scripture on any level. Genesis starting off with two mutually exclusive stories of creation should have given that away at the jump. Unfortunately, it does not. How many Christians have been reading the flood stories for centuries not realizing they are two stories with conflicting details intertwined?

The best argument I can muster is God moved the Chruch to preserve what he wanted them to have. I think Sparks is correct in that scripture is part of the fallen (whatever that means), sinful process of humans. That includes authorship, preservation and canonization to me. Let me use an example from church. The story of Jacob. I believe as it goes God promised Jacob to be the father of a great nation or some stuff. As our pastor tells it, Jacob decided to steal Esau’s blessings because he wanted to make God’s promises come true on his own terms. Maybe God inspired an author to write in a Pauline community ca 110CE and maybe that author took it upon himself to write in Paul’s name, deceptively or otherwise. Even if he contradicted Paul on a few thoughts, I think this is still possible as beliefs evolved (especially when Jesus was late!) and ancients were not fact-literal westerners like us. But it that what God would have wanted? Maybe, maybe not? Is dying on the Cross what God would have wanted from the beginning or is He just working with what He has and accommodating humans? Maybe the same process is at work in Scripture. I think the problem with evangelicals is their model of inspiration and thinking every word or sentence of the Bible must be true.

I think the entire approach to the Bible in Christianity needs reorientation while preserving its sacred and authoritative role in the church. I believe Catholicism really got the ball rolling with Dei Verbum at Vatican II back in the 60s.

At the end of the day, I think we are meant more to wrestle with scripture than derive theological facts from it.

Vinnie

2 Likes

Every Christian takes the Bible to bits. We all proof-text hunt. I can’t see how your highlighted text is little more than a platitude existing in the clouds on one level. On another I agree with it.

All of the words in the Bible don’t seem to fit that category. That is the problem. God speaks to us through the Bible, but our method of inspiration dictates our hermeneutical approach to scripture. We can have the words of a loved one but does the Bible literally represent the words of God? The actual words on the page? Or does God communicate through these stories when we read them?

I agree we need to wrestle with scripture in the manner suggested but how does one come up with any sort of doctrine doing that? Wrestling with a poem doesn’t yield a Nicene creed and even if it did, it would not make it correct, authoritative or binding. Just a shared communal statement that may be true for the community as a statement of belief, but possibly have no bearing on the truth of the statement per the external world. How to we walk the line between drowning in minutiae and relativism?

Vinnie

1 Like

I have not seen you once quote and steel man an actual methodology from a critical scholar arguing for stylistic differences. I understand full well some critical scholars or at least those who think certain texts in the Pauline corpus are pseudepigraphic can use bad arguments. But if you want to overthrow the consensus, you need to dialogue with the stronger arguments. Critical scholars understand all the excuses conservatives come up with:

Ramond Brown writes:

Letters could be written in different ways, sometimes by the sender’s own hand and sometimes dictated. In the latter case each syllable might be copied by a recording secretary,4 with an editor introduced to correct infelicities; or after the sender had indicated only the broad lines of the message, more authority to formulate might be given to a scribe, who was almost a co­ author, to create the final form. As for Paul, he may have written a short letter like Phlm entirely with his own hand (v. 19). References to lines written by Paul’s own hand in a longer letter (I Cor 16:21; Gal 6: 11; II Thess 3: 17; Col 4: 1 8), however, suggest that the rest of the letter was penned by another writer; and explicitly Rom 1 6:22 has greetings from “Tertius who wrote the letter.” (See also I Pet 5 : 1 2 for Peter writing “through Silvanus.”) In all this, however, we do not know how literally Paul would have supplied wording to scribes (and thus whether he was working with secretaries or co-authors). He may have dictated some letters exactly and allowed freedom in others, e.g., in Col, which has a style very different from the protoPauline letters.5

Bart Ehrman writes:

The first is that the question is never whether Paul was capable of writing in one style or another. He was an educated author, and like all educated authors he could vary his style, to some degree at least, as he saw fit. But everyone does in fact typically write in a certain style, often without putting a great deal of thought into questions such as how to effect subordination, whether to prefer subordination to coordination, how to choose which conjunctions to prefer over others, how to construct participial clauses, how to employ the infinitive, and so on. Most authors, unless they are overwhelmingly conscious of being involved in a rhetorical exercise (for example, trained rhetoricians working on an oratorical production), simply write the way they write. No one can plausibly claim that Paul could not have written in the style of, say, Luke or the author of Hebrews, if he had really wanted to. At the same time, no one can plausibly claim that Paul did write that way.”

Good critical scholars understand the same author could have a different style. But they formulate specific arguments that require specific answers. Some are good and some are dismissible. Here is what Ehrman wrote in Forged and Forgery, the scholarly version of Forged on 2 Thessalonians. Please note what I put in bold:

“The most directed study of the style of 2 Thessalonians was undertaken by Darryl Schmidt, who showed on the basis of several unrelated but significant grounds that the letter differs, stylistically, from the undisputed Pauline letters.16 Schmidt’s essay does not engage in bland generalities about long sentences and strange style, but provides a detailed demonstration that 2 Thessalonians (and Colossians and Ephesians) are not written in Paul’s typical style. Among his criteria, three are especially striking. First, he considers sentences as measured by the numbers of embedded clauses and levels of embedding. 2 Thess. 1:3–12 is often pointed to as a long and complex sentence. It is true, as Schmidt points out, that there are other sentences in the undisputed letters that are nearly as long (2 Cor. 6:3–10, 11:24–31). ”

“But these letters do not match the complexity of the sentences in 2 Thessalonians. Specifically, Schmidt takes the longest sentence in the opening thanksgiving section of each of the Pauline letters and measures how many embedded clauses there are and how many layers of embeddedness. The results are quite telling: in Romans there are five embedded clauses at four layers of embeddedness; 1 Corinthians: six clauses at four layers; 2 Corinthians: five clauses at three levels; Philippians: six clauses at one level; 1 Thessalonians: ten clauses at five levels. Contrast these figures with the Deutero-Paulines: Colossians: twelve clauses at eight levels; Ephesians: eighteen clauses at thirteen levels; and most striking, 2 Thessalonians: a whopping twenty-two clauses at fifteen levels of embeddedness. The point, again, is not that this is an impossibly more complex style (it is not nearly as complex as that found in numerous other authors); the point is that it is an uncharacteristically Pauline style.

“Schmidt then considers a different stylistic feature, the patterns of genitive constructions in nonphrase strings, of which there are three kinds: (1) article + noun + article + noun (genitive); (2) a genitive pronoun added to a string; (c) anarthrous nouns in the same kind of string. When calculated for every 1,000 words in the text, one finds the following frequencies of these kinds of strings (Appendix 2): Romans 12.8 strings per thousand words; 1 Corinthians 8.8 strings; 2 Corinthians 13.1 strings; Galatians 15.2 strings; Philippians 7.4 strings; 1 Thessalonians 10.8 strings; Philemon 11.9 strings. Again, the contrast with the Deutero-Paulines, and especially 2 Thessalonians is stark: Colossians 29.7 strings; Ephesians 31.7 strings; and 2 Thessalonians 26.7 strings.

Third, Schmidt considers the frequency with which a writing uses coordinating and subordinating constructions. Leaving out the ubiquitous καí, he finds the relative frequency of coordination versus subordination (per hundred words) to work out as follows: Romans 68:34; 1 Corinthians 77:47; 2 Corinthians 59:42; Galatians 65:44; 1 Thessalonians 49:38; Philippians 53:36; Philemon 50:38. Once again there is a contrast with the Deutero-Paulines, where subordination is far more relatively common: Colossians 18:25; Ephesians 27:26; 2 Thessalonians 41:37.

“The ultimate payoff of these three measurements is that the general sense that scholars have had for many decades that 2 Thessalonians (and the other two Deutero-Paulines) contains a more complex style than the undisputed letters—including the author’s model, 1 Thessalonians—is in fact borne out. It is indeed a more complex style. In isolation this kind of stylistic demonstration can carry little weight. Authors can and do vary their style, and statistical models are constantly challenged on grounds related both to the statistics and the models. But when taken in tandem with the earlier consideration, that the author of 2 Thessalonians has followed the structure and borrowed the words, phrases, and even sentences of 1 Thessalonians, the fact that the nonborrowed materials appear in a non-Pauline “style appears far more formidable. Remaining doubts can be removed by the most complex of the three main arguments against Pauline authorship, the theology of the letter.

Excerpt From: Ehrman, Bart D. “Forgery and Counterforgery: The Use of Literary Deceit in Early Christian Polemics.” Apple Books.

If you want to argue with a critical scholar, bland parallels talking about orcs in Tolkien will not do it. Address the actual critical arguments they present. These stylistic arguments in 2 Thessalonians are dismissible in pure isolation but critical scholars don’t do this divide and conquer apologetics. They evaluate all he evidence in tandem. 2 Thessalonians borrows from 1 Thessalonians and where it does, it appears much more Pauline than the sections that don’t. These stylistic differences are embedded within that context and then when you look at the theology of each epistle (e.g. eschatological outlook) this point is further hammered home.

You have not shown how this methodology is comparable to Tolkien’s work or Lewis. In fact, it is not because it is precisely the borrowing between 1 and 2 Thessalonians that prompted it this discussion. Can you point out something comparable in your comparisons? There are competent scholars who think Paul wrote 1 and 2 Thessalonians but if you want to argue with critical scholarship, please read and dialogue with their actual arguments. Not some straw man caricature you find on the internet.

Good luck overthrowing the scholarly consensus.

Vinnie

This is something which I feel a real interest for. Whereas Peter is more optimistic about the last days, Paul can be said to be more cautious.

How helpful would it be if the apparent discrepancies in eschatology are run through the interpretative grid of the kingdom being now and not yet?

I’ve often wondered what will happen to this consensus, as well as the science fiction that will be written, when atheism is found to be as impossible as an infinite number of objects in space.

There you go then.

I think yes to the latter, but by reading thoughtfully, submissively and repetitively, recognizing that there are some things that don’t seem to fit or make sense but above all not fretting about them or throwing them out just because they’re difficult or hard to understand, elevating the reader too high. Paying attention to science and scholarship is certainly allowed, but they shouldn’t be allowed to be excessively distracting, remembering that it’s a love letter that needs to be read devotionally before it’s picked apart academically. Bonhoeffer is to be emulated.

1 Like

I am not interested in what I would deem force-fitting all the eschatology throughout the New Testament into a cohesive whole. I am all about finding a cohesive interpretation of the diversity, but I hav no desire in denying it exists on a priori grounds and imagining it away through mental gymnastics and harmonization. IMO, Paul thought Jesus was the start of the general resurrection. Since Jesus had been resurrected he thought the end was really imminent. Many Christians thought the same. We see it in the redaction of John (ch 21), the scoffers 2 Peter mentions and even for me in 2 Thessalonians. Paul believed Jesus was the first-fruits. Interesting choice of a harvest metaphor for a return that still hasn’t happened still after 2,000 years. Paul has a very urgent eschatology. It was wrong. Doesn’t mean verses teaching us to be prepared for God’s return lose their zest. They are as true today as they were 2,000 years ago and as true as they would be 10,000 years from now on our AI infused planet.

I see a bit of a contradiction there. There is still urgency, wouldn’t you think? We shouldn’t be leaning back and folding our hands.

When I read his writings they don’t suggest preparedness for some vague future event to me.

Our respective deaths (and everyone else’s) are pretty imminent and not so vague, was my point. The Great Commission?

1 Like

Irregardless of the questions surrounding the authorship of 2 Thessalonians, this verse has a terrifying sense to it, as if a believer could commit an unpardonable sin:

“The son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.”

Or as Hegel said, the goal of history (or this life), is for reason to become conscious of itself.

And I have not seen you once answer my actual questions. I’m sorry Vinnie, but you’re still throwing out cheap shots and insults about questions and challenges to your position as being “conservative” and “straw man caricatures that you find on the Internet.”

Look, I get it that scholars are aware that people can write in different ways at different times depending on the context. I get it that the authorship of the Epistles was more complex and nuanced than Paul writing down everything single-handedly as it was dictated to him word for word. I get it that we have to address what they teach in reality and not a straw man caricature of it. I get it that theologians have good arguments as well as bad ones. I get it that it’s the good ones we need to address and not just the weak ones.

But we need to differentiate between the good arguments and the bad ones. We also need to figure out whether their conclusions from those arguments are justified or whether they are overstating their case. If I have specific questions or objections, those specific points need to be addressed. If I am “attacking straw men,” that means that I must have some kind of misunderstanding of what theologians actually do, and you need to correct those misconceptions by pointing out what they are, and providing me with links to the original research so that I can review it. Just dismissing my objections as “conservative” as if “conservative” were some sort of magic shibboleth, or “some straw man caricature that you find on the Internet” are just shouting and tell me nothing.

So, coming back to Bart Ehrman’s argument here:

Okay, so he has stated that just using a single metric is not sufficient to try to distinguish between Paul and pseudo-Paul. I get it. In response to that, he has given five. If there are more than five, please provide me a link to the original source.

Now five metrics would be impressive if there were just nine or ten to choose from in total. But when there are dozens, hundreds or even thousands to choose from it’s a completely different matter. On top of that, the greater number of metrics would only be impressive if they were all independent of each other, and if they are all indicators of the same underlying factor (in this case, complexity of style), then they are almost certainly not. In such a case, you need to provide additional evidence that those specific metrics are particularly effective at distinguishing between two different individuals, otherwise you’ve got a Texas sharp-shooter on your hands.

For that, you need a corpus of data of known provenance to test them against. And this brings me to my next point.

And if you want to dismiss the point that I am making by bringing up Tolkien, hand-waving it away as “bland parallels talking about orcs” will not do it. You need to address the specific reason why I made the point, and if the point that I have made about Tolkien does not address that particular reason, you need to point me to something else that does.

The whole point – my central point which you have not addressed – is that in order to establish that your methodology is fit for purpose, you need to test it against a control. You need to be able to establish confidence levels, and rates of false positives and false negatives. That is simply how data science works. I bring up Tolkien simply to illustrate the point here. If Tolkien is not sufficient to act as a control, due to the fact that it is a different language and a different genre (and I get that too), you need to be able to provide an alternative that is, otherwise your methodology is nothing but pseudoscience.

Now another point. It may still be the case that despite what I’ve said here, the differences between Romans and Colossians/Ephesians are too great to allow for one person to have written both of them. But in order to dismiss Colossians and Ephesians as a forgery, you need to establish that Paul had nothing whatsoever to do with them. They would still be perfectly legitimately Pauline if they were written collaboratively (as in fact they claim to be), or even if they were ghost-written and he just reviewed them afterwards and gave his imprimatur to them. To make an unjustified leap from “written collaboratively” to “an outright forgery” is overstating their conclusions and simply not warranted.

Is “scholarly consensus” some kind of magic shibboleth intended to shut down questions and demand that I be spoon-fed? I’ve no doubt that theologians are competent at the study of theology, but what Bart Ehrman is trying to do here is data science, and to be quite honest he would be better off leaving that to data scientists.

3 Likes

Hi Dave and also welcome to the forum

Looks like your thread has already mutated well beyond the subject. Attached a link to the invention of the science vs faith conflict debate on premier unbelievable
The 2 men who invented the science vs faith conflict - Tim O'Neill, Dave Hutchings & James Ungureanu - YouTube.
You can get the book Of Popes and Unicorns from Amazon, but in the Shownotes of the podcast https://unbelievable.podbean.com/e/the-2-men-who-invented-the-war-between-science-faith-tim-o-neill-dave-hutchings-james-ungureanu/shownotes you find a promo code for a 30% price reduction for the book from the publisher.

I have to admit not having read it all the way to the end, but in the light of the pandemic and the publishing date, evolution is perhaps not the biggest clash between the science and religion any more but vaccines are. https://sheseeksnonfiction.blog/2022/08/28/book-review-of-popes-and-unicorns-by-david-hutchings-and-james-ungureanu/. Whist it is easy to show that evolution is neither random, nor without purpose, thus destroying its claim to fame by atheists as a God defeater, quite the opposite, to defuse the issue of demonization of the opposition for the benefit of creating group cohesion is a general problem of social behaviour harder to weed out.

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.