Faith and Reason

You are badly mistaken.

1 Like

I certainly wouldn’t make a claim like that (saying this and nothing else) to limit God in such a way.

What such way? I do not limit God like Martin does.

I would be if anyone could credibly, rationally, faithfully demonstrate otherwise.

They have. George Müller is one of many.

They have for you. It worked for me once upon a time. George Müller was a hero of mine from when I lived in Bristol 42 years ago. He still is. But not for all the same reasons.

So he isn’t credible, rational or faithful? Which?

OK, Gentlemen, I have created a new topic since the Faith vs Reason dialogue is off-topic as far as Jesus and Aliens are concerned. I realise this thread is a monster of my own creation, and so I’m taking personal responsibility for it.

That means…

1. @Klax and @Dale, y’all play nice now.
  2. No one-sentence responses to each other. If you can’t think of a paragraph sized reply, please don’t reply.
  3. No endlessly repeating the same old tired arguments. No more George Muller or Maggie’s testimony for Dale. No more appealing to Kierkegaard, etc. etc. for Martin. I have a lot of time for you both, but you both really need to get some new material.

Please, please don’t make me be ‘grumpy mod’ and have to delete posts, etc. I really don’t like doing that.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do sort of need to know which of @Klax’ three criteria George Müller doesn’t meet, though, since he specified. That seems to be critical to his criticism.

I’m sure he can let you know… in a private message :wink:

1 Like

It’s kind of important to the discussion. If he has no answer, that’s okay.

He will always have an answer according to faith.

@Klax wasn’t tracking when you added the new conversation. He has a reply there that belongs here, if you would move it, please.

This one: #49

He was a good man. Of his time, of his subculture, of his epistemology. He was no less faithful according to his beliefs than anyone, more than most by far in fact. A totally credible follower of Christ. Again, rational according to his lights and even by the mores, beliefs of the larger culture, most superstitious Victorian England. His story is easy to deconstruct and reconstruct rationally. Just like Maggie’s. If you need to believe it all as divine intervention, for your faith, as a result of your faith, that’s perfectly understandable. I don’t any more. My faith isn’t dependent on such accounts, none of which withstand rational, psychological, forensic deconstruction. They cannot be reconstructed with disinterested, scientific methods concluding with supernatural activity. They can easily be reconstructed parsimoniously without it. I would love it to ever be otherwise.

Is that the right one? Liam’s already asleep because you two have exhausted him so much. :wink: :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Yep, that’s it. (There’s nothing to do about where it is sequentially, though, is there.)

Of course it has nothing to do with him being in the UK. :grin:

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of anyway…

It’s possible there were multiple factors involved… :smirk:

2 Likes

Aye, we faithful Olde Worlde rational fuddy duddies eh?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.